Metal Plus, simple cube issue

Discuss your first ever printrbot print

Postby MadMatt » 2015-Apr-Wed-14-Apr

Hello guys,

So today I started printing with my Metal Plus, doing the simple cube. Here are some of my results (see attached).

As you can see it starts well, but then it looks like it loses its Y axis reference and continues printing with an offset. It did it few times on the cube. Is there a reason for that? I am using PLA with the basic Cura profile. I have a heated bed and use a kapton tape on it with hair spray, as well that is working (although when I input 100° in Cura it only goes to 70 and stays there).

I think I heard the rails grind a bit so I will try to increase the motor percentage and see if that may cause this offset, as the part sticks well to the bed.

Any idea on what may cause that issue?

:)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MadMatt
Levelling print bed...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Metal Plus, simple cube issue

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Apr-Wed-15-Apr

Check your motor current and belts. If the belts seem too loose, tighten them, if they seem too tight, loosen them

2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby frankv » 2015-Apr-Wed-15-Apr

Lube the rails. It makes a huge difference to the force needed to move the head.

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby JonS » 2015-Apr-Wed-17-Apr

Do you have a heated bed? If you do, you should loosen the screws that attach the aluminum bed plate to the y-rails (don't unscrew the screws beyond the bed that attach the powder-coated steel plates), heat the bed up to temperture, and then tighted the screws.

Also, do you have this new (free) mod fitted: http://printrbot.com/shop/spring-and-screw-kit-for-metal-plus/

Printrbot Metal Plus with:

- Dual Ubis 13S metal hot ends (swapped for original Ubis metals)
- Dual Gear Head extruders
- Heated bed
- PEI print bed film

Printrbot Jr (put out to pasture).
JonS
ACME leadscrew

Postby MadMatt » 2015-Apr-Thu-12-Apr

Thanks guys!

The belts are tight, no issue on that side.

I will indeed lube the rails and that free spring kits looks to be the part I need! That would indeed free a bit the rail and I am sure solve the problem. I will try this weekend to increase the motor drive percentage and see how it goes in the meantime!

I have a heated bed yes, and I will try that method as well! :)

MadMatt
Levelling print bed...

Postby JonS » 2015-Apr-Thu-13-Apr

My Y stage kept jamming until I did the tightening at temperature thing. I also pumped up my y-stepper current.

That was before fitting the spring kit. I haven't tried lowering the current since then.

Printrbot Metal Plus with:

- Dual Ubis 13S metal hot ends (swapped for original Ubis metals)
- Dual Gear Head extruders
- Heated bed
- PEI print bed film

Printrbot Jr (put out to pasture).
JonS
ACME leadscrew

Postby MadMatt » 2015-Apr-Sat-09-Apr

Thanks Jon looks like I am going to do the same, and I am sure it will cure this issue! I will post here when I get to fit the spring kit! :)

MadMatt
Levelling print bed...

Postby nerq » 2015-Jun-Wed-08-Jun

I might be a bit late posting here, but I had the same issues, and someone might come looking for a solution.

We bought a assembled Printrbot Metal Plus, and the bed kept sticking/jamming up. So we removed the bed, and immediately found that one of the linear bearings was missing a substantial number of balls inside the bearing. So this could also be an issues for other (since they seem to pop out quite easily).

Also, +1 to the lubing of the rails.

nerq
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby MadMatt » 2015-Jul-Sun-12-Jul

So after solving issues with the printer itself, I am back printing (or at least trying to).

But I am getting pretty bad prints. In this example some of the filament is left on the surface and hardens. Then when the extruder moves over these small blobs of material, it scratches the hot end. :?

I have noticed that when I move the extruder up and try to extrude, the filament goes out of the hot end and curls on one side. Could it be that it is clogged a bit which would be the reason for my bad printing?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MadMatt
Levelling print bed...

Return to My first blob