Simple Metal Kit success

Discuss your first ever printrbot print

Simple Metal Kit success

Postby cacb » 2015-Apr-Sat-08-Apr

Hi, I live in Norway and after a long wait I recently received my Simple Metal Kit. Btw., I have never seen a 3d printer in real life before, so it is a steep learning curve!

I must say I enjoy it, it has met all my expectations so far. I did the assembly in a couple of days without major problems. The Printrbot build instructions are really good, but you have to pay attention to the details, it is possible to go wrong. I made a couple of mistakes but was able to fix them.

I first printed a fan shroud using the sample filament, it worked out ok, if a little rough. Then switched to locally bought eSUN filament and I love it. The second print was a 5 hour spool stand (own design) :lol: and it actually worked. The only problem was a couple of "dislocations" in x-direction on the spool stand arms that I think was caused by a slightly loose bed clamp. After tightening it seems to be ok.

It is great!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Printrbot Simple Metal Kit + heated bed upgrade. KISSlicer (Kubuntu/Win7), OctoPrint (wireless Raspberry Pi model B) - http://arnholm.org/
cacb
Support material...

Simple Metal Kit success

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Simple Metal Kit success

Postby thawkins » 2015-Apr-Sat-08-Apr

cacb wrote:Hi, I live in Norway and after a long wait I recently received my Simple Metal Kit. Btw., I have never seen a 3d printer in real life before, so it is a steep learning curve!

I must say I enjoy it, it has met all my expectations so far. I did the assembly in a couple of days without major problems. The Printrbot build instructions are really good, but you have to pay attention to the details, it is possible to go wrong. I made a couple of mistakes but was able to fix them.

I first printed a fan shroud using the sample filament, it worked out ok, if a little rough. Then switched to locally bought eSUN filament and I love it. The second print was a 5 hour spool stand (own design) :lol: and it actually worked. The only problem was a couple of "dislocations" in x-direction on the spool stand arms that I think was caused by a slightly loose bed clamp. After tightening it seems to be ok.

It is great!

Congratulations, welcome to the club with the most number of crazy people in it.

You have done really well to get to this point.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby cacb » 2015-Apr-Sat-08-Apr

thawkins wrote:Congratulations, welcome to the club with the most number of crazy people in it.

You have done really well to get to this point.

Thank you for that :D . I have been reading this forum for a while and observed the most common mistakes that people have been reporting, that has been really helpful to me. Lots of people with good knowledge here... thanks to the forum. Right now I am adding some parts to the spool stand, it will use a 32mm PVC tube as spool axis, so I need some adapters to center the spool. I have documented my build + experiences so far at arnholm full stop org for the interested.

Printrbot Simple Metal Kit + heated bed upgrade. KISSlicer (Kubuntu/Win7), OctoPrint (wireless Raspberry Pi model B) - http://arnholm.org/
cacb
Support material...

Postby cacb » 2015-Apr-Sat-11-Apr

I have discovered a small problem I think can be attributed to the design.

I printed this "Finger Flobber" http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:446480 (had to scale it to 103%), and when reassembling, I managed to strip the outer threads in the motor where the screw pointed to below is attached. That screw is far too short, and after stripping the outer couple of threads in the motor it would not grip any longer. Luckily, I had a longer M3 screw and was able to fix the problem that way. Perhaps I used the wrong screw in the set originally, that's an easy mistake to do. Otherwise, the wrong screw length is provided.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cacb
Support material...

Postby cacb » 2015-Apr-Tue-17-Apr

This kit has now seen another success, I got the heated bed upgrade working...

I printed a box I had printed on the unheated bed/blue tape with quite a bit of warping. Now on Kapton without any special treatment. When I turned the box to see the underside, I got this result. You can see every little turn. Should it be like this, or am I slightly high with the offset? Printed 1st layer at 190C and the rest at 185. Bed at 60C.

I took the opportunity to add a flat and a split washer under each bed corner so it can be leveled. It was quite "fiddly", but I managed. I am not 100% dialed in, I am using G29 as per normal, but I can see the rotation of the Z coupler is much less.

heated_bed_first_print_complete.jpg

cacb
Support material...

Return to My first blob