[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - Having problems with the first couple layers and bridging

Having problems with the first couple layers and bridging

Discuss your first ever printrbot print

Postby fboyles » 2015-Mar-Mon-16-Mar

Hey guys I've had my Simple metal now for about month. It's my first 3D printer and I have to say I'm LOVING that I started with this printer!! I have read tons of post, YouTube videos, and done some experimenting. Any help would be awesome! I'm not sure what I need to do to get the first couple layers to look as clean as the rest.

You can see the first few layers are more opaque. This image also shows a good example of my other problem, bridging. I'm wondering if the aluminum bed is sucking the heat out of the filament too quickly and if I would benefit in getting a heated bed? I'm also wondering if I could get smoother prints from printing on glass or some other material?

here are a few of the items that I have printed.

fboyles
Loading filament...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Having problems with the first couple layers and bridgin

Postby PxT » 2015-Mar-Mon-16-Mar

Are you printing directly on the metal bed or do you use blue tape or some other material?

PxT
Print complete...

Postby fboyles » 2015-Mar-Mon-17-Mar

I've been printing on blue painters tape. It's just some that I had which is Ducktape clean release 1". Then I follow up the tape placement by wiping the taped surface with alcohol, then rub on some generic white stick paste.

fboyles
Loading filament...

Postby thawkins » 2015-Mar-Mon-20-Mar

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby fboyles » 2015-Mar-Mon-22-Mar

Thanks for all the great tips!, thawkins.
I have never tries printing on plain blue tape. Before my Simple Metal arrived I had read a bunch of different tricks and just tried what I had which was 1" blue tape and my Daughters paste sticks and it worked. So I have just kept doing it the same way. I have gotten into trouble when I keep the old tape down and reapply more paste. After a few prints 2-3 prints it's enough to make the print bed off level. Which causes the extruder to run into the print and knock it off. Game Over!!

Your comment about ABS, are you saying that I don't need a heated print bed? Just a well tuned printer and clean Kapton tape will work? I don't have any ABS to experiment with. Is their anything to know when switching between PLA and ABS?

I'm going to pick up some glass (8X10 picture frame) next time I go to the Dollar store and cut it to fit.Then use some of those binder clips hold it in place. Do you think some of the insulated bubble wrap or maybe even some felt between the glass and the aluminum bed would help with the prints cooling down to quickly? Or is that over kill?

I'm thinking of picking up this power supply. Looks like a pretty good deal for $38.00 delivered. I like that it's all ready wired and includes a switch. I'm hoping that it will ship with the US plug. If not not the end of the world. My current power supply is dieing. And one day I will want to add a heat bed.

As for the sugar water I'll have to give that a try. I'm thinking one of those pencil style envelope moisteners would work well. Plus a bit easier to keep near the printer.

fboyles
Loading filament...

Postby thawkins » 2015-Mar-Mon-23-Mar

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby fboyles » 2015-Mar-Mon-23-Mar

I have some AC Ducting tape that should work nicely. I'm wondering if I'm going to need to recalibrate the Z probe when put the glass down?

fboyles
Loading filament...

Postby Littlebuck416 » 2015-Mar-Tue-22-Mar

Littlebuck416
Levelling print bed...

Postby fboyles » 2015-Mar-Tue-23-Mar

fboyles
Loading filament...

Postby Littlebuck416 » 2015-Mar-Wed-16-Mar

Littlebuck416
Levelling print bed...

Postby notionSD » 2015-May-Fri-13-May

I had good luck using just regular wal-mart masking tape for my first few prints...but lately i've been having problems w/ sticking.
Maybe the early success was due to the pla filament being new. I dunno.
Just read this thread and realized I have a piece of glass from an old flatbed scanner. It's 14" x 9.75".

Have to find a tut on how to cut glass....

Printrbot Simple Metal
0.4 mm nozzle
cold bed
Cura
notionSD
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-May-Sun-17-May

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Creality Ender 3 Pro 12/2019
Mooselake