New user, success with Printrbot filament only

Discuss your first ever printrbot print

Postby p25486 » 2015-Feb-Mon-17-Feb

Hi, I've had some good prints with the translucent filament that came with my Printrbot Metal Plus. But, it ran out.

I moved on to a roll of white PLA filament that I got from Adafruit.com. Things are a little off.

At first, layer 1 temp of 195, didn't see to stick too well to the bed.

I'm now at 205, with 200 for all other layers. The first layer sticks fine, but I'm getting very large spiderwebs. The webs I think suggest the temp is too high, but any lower and I get some non-straight lines being made (little curly cues). Maybe the temp is still too low? Maybe I need to reduce the flow rate?

Bed temp is 70C.

I'll post an image of my first white print later. I got cocky and tried a cell phone case. Not such a great result. There are bumps along the "smooth" sides, and lots of thick webs from when the printer moved from location to location.

One thing, I did set the extruder nozzle size down to 0.4, from the default of 0.5 in repetier. I think I read somewhere that maybe 0.3 would overcome some issue with repetier, but then my first layer thickess is off. Should I go back to 0.5mm?

Most of prints up to now looked good with the translucent filament, but I can't say how solid a solid face is, seems more like a screen than a wall. I can see light pass through openings between filaments in the first cube for instance. I thought that changing the extruder nozzle size would fix that.

Thanks,

John

p25486
Levelling print bed...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: New user, success with Printrbot filament only

Postby evanalmighty » 2015-Feb-Mon-18-Feb

You can play around with different settings in Repetier, but the nozzle size should not be one of them. Set it to .4mm (if that's what it is) and don't change it. Temperature, extrusion multiplier, extrusion width, print speed, layer height, and filament diameter are some of the main settings that can/should be tweaked.

evanalmighty
Layer 650 of 1234

Postby thawkins » 2015-Feb-Mon-18-Feb

p25486 wrote:Hi, I've had some good prints with the translucent filament that came with my Printrbot Metal Plus. But, it ran out.

I moved on to a roll of white PLA filament that I got from Adafruit.com. Things are a little off.

At first, layer 1 temp of 195, didn't see to stick too well to the bed.

I'm now at 205, with 200 for all other layers. The first layer sticks fine, but I'm getting very large spiderwebs. The webs I think suggest the temp is too high, but any lower and I get some non-straight lines being made (little curly cues). Maybe the temp is still too low? Maybe I need to reduce the flow rate?

Bed temp is 70C.

I'll post an image of my first white print later. I got cocky and tried a cell phone case. Not such a great result. There are bumps along the "smooth" sides, and lots of thick webs from when the printer moved from location to location.

One thing, I did set the extruder nozzle size down to 0.4, from the default of 0.5 in repetier. I think I read somewhere that maybe 0.3 would overcome some issue with repetier, but then my first layer thickess is off. Should I go back to 0.5mm?

Most of prints up to now looked good with the translucent filament, but I can't say how solid a solid face is, seems more like a screen than a wall. I can see light pass through openings between filaments in the first cube for instance. I thought that changing the extruder nozzle size would fix that.

Thanks,

John

Printrbot extruders are 0.4 so your setting was correct. Have a look at the "retraction" settings on repieter, they can help with stringing.

White filerments tend to run hotter than other colors, i have a reel of white pla that is speced yo run at 220, which us very high for PLA. I think the colorant used absorbs heat differently, as there is no such thing as a "white dye", so they have to mix a material that is a suspension of white particles. The most common being titanium dioxide.

Basicaly plastics are natruraly translucent, if you add a dye you still have translucancy, so you have to add a pigment like the titanium oxide to make it opaque. White is the worse case as you have a higher ratio of pigment to plastic which distorts its properties somewhat. Each color is a cocktail of pigments and dyes and that cocktail effects its properies like melting point etc. Which is why there is no single "good" temperature for a given plastic type, it all depends on the combination of dyes and fillers and the manufacturer.

A bed temp of 70c for pla is a bit high, you should be using somewhere between 50 and 65.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby Bob-StPaul » 2015-Feb-Tue-16-Feb

Did you check the filament diameter of the new filament and adjust your settings accordingly?

I'd also recalibrate your extrusion for the new filament.

My printer:
Printrbot JR w/ fan and metric threaded rods.
Bob-StPaul
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby p25486 » 2015-Feb-Mon-01-Feb

Thanks for the info.

I adjusted the temperature of the extruder up, and lowered the bed. I seem to get decent results at 215C for the extruder, and 60C for the bed. I may go back up to 65, as the corner of one print came up.

Prints look much better, far less webbing.

I still see some strangeness in the second/third layer. Maybe just the 2nd, where the outer dimension is less than the base or the layers above.

p25486
Levelling print bed...

Return to My first blob