My New Metal Plus with Pics

Discuss your first ever printrbot print

Postby JackB106 » 2015-Jan-Sun-14-Jan

Well let it be Christmas in January! ;) My PB Plus arrived and I could not get it out of the box quick enough. It was all that I was expecting if not more. I walked through the bed leveling program and adjusted the Z height for the adhesion of the filament and off I went. I will say, that having 20 plus years as a CNC Machinist and drawing in Autodesk Inventor has also been a plus. The first pic i will call Progression.....From the pile of silly string to the widget...the next one a challenge, I am trying to print a "Y" style part, and have tried a couple different positions, and the third is a scrapper that I just printed today... I have printed a whole bunch in between, but so far I am more than pleased with my purchase. Their is however a lot of questions that I need to pick the smart brains of the forum, but will do so in the correct venue.
Thanks
Jack B
P.S. I will say that I could not of done what I did right out of the box if it was not for the forum and all the knowledge that i am sure if added together would be a staggering amount of years, you know the saying " their is no one of us, that is as smart as all of us" Thanks PB forum and support.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JackB106
Loading filament...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: My New Metal Plus with Pics

Postby JonS » 2015-Jan-Sun-16-Jan

Congratulations!

Mine literally was my Christmas present, so it ended up being a late-arriving gift. However, I did get a baby daughter for Christmas (a little earlier than expected) so I didn't go without something! Now I'm mostly working on printed accessories to go on the side of our diaper changing table.

The main issue I'm having is the Metal Plus wouldn't fit in to the enclosure I built for my old, extended-z, Jr and it's a little noisy. Generally it's quieter than the Jr, but when the bed moves all the way back (negative Y) during the auto-leveling it makes a very loud noise that would probably wake the dead, let alone a baby.

[Edit] I've just resolved that issue by slowing down the default Y movement speed to 40 (with M203), then performing the G29 auto-level, then restoring the Y speed back to 100 (the firmware default).

Printrbot Metal Plus with:

- Dual Ubis 13S metal hot ends (swapped for original Ubis metals)
- Dual Gear Head extruders
- Heated bed
- PEI print bed film

Printrbot Jr (put out to pasture).
JonS
ACME leadscrew

Postby JackB106 » 2015-Jan-Sun-17-Jan

I believe you deserve the congrats! The gift of life is a much better present. Protect her......It's a crazy world we live in today..

JackB106
Loading filament...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Jan-Sun-17-Jan

Enjoy the time; it'll be over long before you think it should. Take lots of pictures!

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby JonS » 2015-Jan-Sun-20-Jan

JackB106 wrote:I believe you deserve the congrats! The gift of life is a much better present. Protect her......It's a crazy world we live in today..

We do live in a dangerous world, but it's actually much safer than ever. It's just the global media brings every villainous act and tragedy in to our homes, so that many (most?) people are convinced the world is a more dangerous place.

Then there were the things that society was just very naive about or ignored in the past that now we are hyper-sensitized to. The media has everyone terrified about random serial killers and pedophiles on every street corner, when in reality most murders are crimes of passion (people killed by people they know), and most sex abuse is within the family (fortunately we have a very small family!).

Here's one quick link to some data that shows how much safer the world is now: http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-10-23/world-actually-safer-ever-and-heres-data-prove

While I will do my utmost to protect my lovely daughter, I will try to balance that against being over-protective. That can have a very severe psychological consequences, and is creating a generation ill equipped to deal with adult life. I recommend that every parent reads this article from Psychology Today: http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200411/nation-wimps

- Heated bed
- PEI print bed film

JonS
ACME leadscrew

Postby JonS » 2015-Jan-Sun-20-Jan

Mooselake wrote:Enjoy the time; it'll be over long before you think it should. Take lots of pictures!

Kirk

Thanks! She's four weeks old and already so much bigger than when she was born (5 weeks early).

One of my passions is photography (I work in digital imaging technology and I've done professional photography in the past), so there will be a lot of photographs. It's probably going to be time to expand my ~7TB of photo storage and backup space!

- Heated bed
- PEI print bed film

JonS
ACME leadscrew

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Jan-Mon-09-Jan

The joys of digital photography! Ours were little way before digital, so we have many boxes of pictures in various states of sorting and not well scanned. It's hard to remember that far back, but iirc it was around $10-$15 to develop and print a roll of film (although double pictures didn't cost much more), and the duds mostly (some processors removed the really bad ones) got printed too. I took more photos of the trips to eastern europe and Azerbaijan than we probably took of the kids first few years, although not as carefully. Just don't be one of those parents who spend more effort than videoing the kids than actually participating.

They leave before you're ready (well, you can get close during the world's smartest children/stupidist parents years :) ). Ours are scattered all over the world, far from the home swamp, but continue to be sources of endless amazement.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby ktfergus » 2015-Jan-Mon-12-Jan

Hey Jack, I just got a Simple Metal & use Inventor, as well. I'm going to post some of my first projects in a second but wanted to comment on your post first. Which method you use to import stl files into Repetier? I've read that Autodesk files are "Unit Agnostic" & it took me a while get my objects imported at the proper scale. Currently, I just use the "Send to 3D Print Service" feature in the "Print" section of Inventor & have my units set to inch. That way I don't have to scale anything when I load the stl in Repetier. Just wondering if you knew of a more streamlined method?

-Kelly

PrintrBot Model: 1403 (Simple Metal Assembled) :: DIY Heated Bed, with 305mm Extended X Axis
PrintrBot Model: 1403 (Simple Metal Assembled) :: 305mm x200mm DIY heated bed
PrintrBot Model: 1505 (Play) :: 100mm x 250mm DIY heated bed
PrintrBot Model: 1503 (Play) :: 100mm x 100mm DIY Heated bed
Latest Project :: Sisyphus Whirligig
ktfergus
Printing skirt...

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Jan-Mon-15-Jan

The native units for 3D printers are all in millimeters. True, you can design in inches (or feet, yards, furlongs...) and then do conversion either when exporting your STL file or when importing it into you slicer, but ultimately, the printer works in metric.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby JackB106 » 2015-Jan-Tue-03-Jan

Kelly,
Congrats on your purchase! It took me a little while to understand what was going on with my prints, that is also what I do, and to make sure that select the proper units of imported objects, under the config tab in Repetier. Upload your pics, cant wait to see them.
Jack B

JackB106
Loading filament...

Return to My first blob