how did you print Mr. Jaws without warpage?

Discuss your first ever printrbot print

Postby bakemono » 2014-Nov-Sat-16-Nov

thingiverse thing 14702

I've tried five times to print this, with various settings, and the nose and fins always curl up rather than staying flat against the bed. I'm using PLA on a Printrbot Plus. Started with default settings, tried more fan, less fan, less heat, slower speed.

bakemono
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: how did you print Mr. Jaws without warpage?

Postby orangefurball » 2014-Nov-Sat-20-Nov

Are you printing on tape?

2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby bakemono » 2014-Nov-Sun-00-Nov

yes, kapton
"The minimum number of characters you need to enter is 25."
I love forums :roll:

bakemono

Postby orangefurball » 2014-Nov-Sun-00-Nov

bakemono wrote:yes, kapton
"The minimum number of characters you need to enter is 25."
I love forums :roll:

Personally, I have never been able to get PLA to stick to Kapton. Try it with Scotch Blue 2090 tape with your bed at 50-60C. Make sure its 2090 as this is the best for printing. It is also called Original Multi-use. I'll put a picture of one of my rolls below.

Kapton is really good for ABS, you may also want to try some lightweight adhesive spray on glass, hair spray on glass, or even a 4:1 mixture of water and PVA glue on glass. In the United States, PVA glue is Elmer's brand school glue.

[img]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/01/dc2b6efc45dd1b79e09811772457d0ea.jpg[/img]

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby bakemono » 2014-Nov-Sun-03-Nov

Aha so kapton is better for ABS then... I have some ABS filament but haven't tried printing with it yet. I started with PLA because it sounded like that would be easier to work with.

I changed my filament diameter setting from 1.70mm to 1.66mm which I assume causes it to extrude slightly more. It seems to counteract the shrinkage of the bottom layers. I had to increase the retraction to prevent spider webs. But now I am able to print a shark with only slight warpage.

bakemono

Postby orangefurball » 2014-Nov-Sun-03-Nov

bakemono wrote:Aha so kapton is better for ABS then... I have some ABS filament but haven't tried printing with it yet. I started with PLA because it sounded like that would be easier to work with.

I changed my filament diameter setting from 1.70mm to 1.66mm which I assume causes it to extrude slightly more. It seems to counteract the shrinkage of the bottom layers. I had to increase the retraction to prevent spider webs. But now I am able to print a shark with only slight warpage.

That is correct. I have never used ABS, but it is better than PLA on Kapton tape.

Instead of changing the diameter settings, you can either increase your first layer height, add a brim, or add a raft too. This will help keep everything consistent.

If you are using Repetier Host, you can also change the Flow rate for the first layer and then put it back to normal after you have a good first layer put down.

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby Mooselake » 2014-Nov-Sun-12-Nov

Elmer's washable school glue stick (the kind that starts purple and dries white) on glass works great for PLA, and is easier than hairspray, abs goo, etc. It washes off easy when you want to clean up the glass and recoat, although I usually just spread a little more where the part came off.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby orangefurball » 2014-Nov-Mon-01-Nov

Mooselake wrote:Elmer's washable school glue stick (the kind that starts purple and dries white) on glass works great for PLA, and is easier than hairspray, abs goo, etc. It washes off easy when you want to clean up the glass and recoat, although I usually just spread a little more where the part came off.

Kirk

[img]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/09/9c617c9eaa1e480057880456d5aa15ae.jpg[/img]

My goodness, look at these layers. Elmer's washable gluesticks are where its at.

Bed at 60C with a liberal amount of glue is giving me the best first layer I have ever had in my time printing. Thanks you!

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby bakemono » 2014-Dec-Fri-20-Dec

Yes the glue stick works wonders. I tried it after my first attempts at printing ABS failed horribly. With a light coating of glue on the bed nothing has curled up. I've been able to print all these doodads:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bakemono

Return to My first blob