partial success

Discuss your first ever printrbot print

partial success

Postby monikah » 2014-Aug-Thu-00-Aug

Hi all! This is my 1st post here!

I got the kit and built my Simple Metal. Now I'm trying to get it to print. It's printing, but the print quality is not quite there yet. I've adjusted my z-value successfully. The temperature is set to 200. I downloaded the configuration file from printrbot and used those settings for my Repetier. I bought some calipers and averaged the diameter of my filament to be 1.73 (It is BuMat filament).

I'm having trouble with the print quality, especially the infill. When I took my piece off the tape, it didn't hold together. I need this piece to be nice and strong. I tried reducing all the speeds to 30mm/min. Still having trouble.

rotor final.jpg

photo rotor bad1.jpg

I'm also wondering what speed my extruder should be? These are my settings. TIA!

extruderspeed.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
monikah
Waiting to connect to printer...

partial success

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: partial success

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Aug-Thu-08-Aug

The pictures look like your printhead is under-extruding, i.e. it's not consistently laying down as much plastic as it should to complete the print correctly. There can be many, many causes for this. You could try lowering the speed setting, and increasing the temperature of your extruder. Then there are tons of other things under the general category of "extruder jamming." There is also the possibility that your incoming filament coming from your spool is kinking or somehow not feeding smoothly. Or that the textured ("hobbed") bolt / gear has become clogged with plastic particles and it's not pushing the filament efficiently.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Jdublu » 2014-Aug-Thu-09-Aug

What are your Horizontal shells set to? It looks like 1, try 2 or 3.

Metal Simple
E stepper heatsink w/fan
Z axis stepper heatsink w/fan
Extruder fan
Hotbed relay fan
6"x6" Heater board
40 Amp power supply
Matrix-Precision 8" x 8" aluminum bed X-Y upgrade
Matrix-Precision 10" Z axis upgrade
S. Florida
Jdublu
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby monikah » 2014-Aug-Thu-13-Aug

Thanks for the replies.

My horizontal shells are set to 3. The filament is feeding fine.

I was wondering if I should change my extruder speed? I've got 40mm/min now and also extrude (10mm/min) and retract (10mm/min).

I have changed all the speeds in slicer to 30mm/min.

What I don't understand is just the other day I managed to print a cube perfectly. I can't remember what my settings were exactly, but I thought they were the same.

monikah

Postby plexus » 2014-Aug-Thu-14-Aug

monikah wrote:Thanks for the replies.

My horizontal shells are set to 3. The filament is feeding fine.

I was wondering if I should change my extruder speed? I've got 40mm/min now and also extrude (10mm/min) and retract (10mm/min).

That speed 40mm/s is not the actual print speed. all the params in that screenshot you sent are the speeds that will be used when you manually control the printer from that control panel. NOT the speeds at which it will print at.

Extruder speed (filament feed speed) is a factor of filament calibration (E) and XY print speed which are typically set in the slicing app.

So with that in mind, the things that will affect extrusion volume are:

- filament feed (if there is a blockage or other impact to an otherwise smooth and consistent filament feed, you will get under extrusion)
- print speed (assuming your print speed is slowish this shouldn't be an issue)
- E calibration (if you are not calibrated correctly you can get under extrusion)
- the mechanics of the extruder (you need just the right pressure on the filament idler and also the temps of a metal extruder need to be controlled to ensure they dont soften the filament)

Please note that although it may appear that your filament feed is ok, its not always obvious. you can use the manual extrusion controls to extrude some amount of filament and watch very closely to ensure its feeding smoothly. i usually grab the filament slightly to feel it pull through my fingers to help identify issues like this. you are likely using 1.75 and a direct drive extruder both of which are notorious for causing extrusion issues.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby monikah » 2014-Aug-Thu-20-Aug

Thanks alot for the replies. I tried increasing the temperature to 205C and things are printing better today.I'm also looking into your other suggestions.

monikah

Postby KC_703 » 2014-Aug-Sat-01-Aug

If you are using Repetier try working with the flow multiplier. I find it easier than trying to adjust the head speed. Try increasing past 100 to ensure you get a good fat bead of filament.

When you feed the filament by hand, are you getting a bead the size of your nozzle opening? If it looks thin, then it may be clogged... possible burned PLA if you've accidently left the extruder at temp too long.

Also note that the "default" fliament size in Repetier is 3mm... This bit me when I recently switched to ABS filament. I kept increasing the flow rate until it got to 120% then took a step back and thought about what was going on. Seems as though you know your filament is 1.73mm, just make sure you're selecting the right profile in the slicing setings.

KC_703
Waiting for extruder temp...

Return to My first blob