New guy, new Printrbot Simple Metal...

Discuss your first ever printrbot print

Postby Charlie Foxtrot » 2014-Aug-Sat-20-Aug

Hi guys,

New to the forum and to 3D printers; this Printrbot Simple Metal is my first. It's a kit, with no heated bet and printing the included PLA.

Posting up some of my first results, and hoping maybe to get some pointers on some of the issues I'm having.

So far I think I have the nozzle height and bed level sensors dialed in; I'm getting good first layers and good bed adhesion. Currently I'm using the default settings from the getting started guide, although I have tried adjusting extruder temp up to about 210* and between .2 and .3 layer heights depending on the print.

This one is my first successful print, done at .3 layer height, 210* temp, and everything else at the defaults, and it turned out great. This was my first designed from scratch part... not the most complicated but it solved dilemma I've had for a while. The nuts fit snugly into their hex holes, so the print dimensions seem pretty spot on.

IMG_20140809_075640_zpsuioxbrx2.jpg

IMG_20140807_210130_6.jpg

Where I seem to be having issues is whenever there is an overhang. I'm having issues with overhanging layers drooping and/or strings bridging accross points around an arc, almost as if the layer isn't adhering to the one below it.

Any ideas what areas I should be tweaking to get improvements here? Any good guides I'm totally not seeing that would point me in the right direction?

This one you can see the drooping on overhangs/slopes...
IMG_20140809_075710_zpskv7oeaye.jpg

Here you can see the bridging from point to point on arcs. It looks fine on the top layers, but on the bottom where the layer isn't directly on top of the one below it it pulls away...
IMG_20140807_210130_zpsd456aqts.jpg

IMG_20140807_210134_zpszrivh7pn.jpg

Thanks in advance for any pointers! I'm really excited to nerd out over this and see what kinds of stuff I can make.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charlie Foxtrot
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: New guy, new Printrbot Simple Metal...

Postby KC_703 » 2014-Aug-Sun-19-Aug

Nice prints!

I've found lowering print temps will help with filament (PLA) hairs. And it varies greatly from filament to filament... and hotends.

KC_703
Waiting for extruder temp...

Re: New guy, new Printrbot Simple Metal...

Postby Charlie Foxtrot » 2014-Aug-Mon-09-Aug

Thanks man! Here I was bumping up the temps, sounds like I was going in the wrong direction. :P I'll give that a go and see what happens.

Charlie Foxtrot
Waiting to connect to printer...

Return to My first blob