PrintrBot Simple Metal first print ( Suggestions needed)

Discuss your first ever printrbot print

Postby desertstriker8 » 2014-Jun-Sun-09-Jun

Hi everyone! I got my printrbot simple metal last night from Microcenter. After a little bit of small issues and trying to get the printer to connect with windows 8.1 i got my first print underway. I wanted some feedback from you guys i'm not to sure if i have the print nozzle set at the correct height, i did everything in the steps listed on the setup website site and also as the video described but i feel i should be able to get a little bit better of a print and also not as much gaping on the print.

Im wondering if the nozzle should be set lower to the bed? as you can see on the top side of the print near the screw hole the print isnt smooth and it looks kinda stringy or grid like. Almost like the layer maybe needs to be more flat? and also on the inside of the print there are some bad over hangs.

Let me know what you guys think and what i could improve! Thanks in advanced this community seems amazing and very helpful. :D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desertstriker8
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: PrintrBot Simple Metal first print ( Suggestions needed)

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Jun-Sun-10-Jun

It looks like you have a number of things right. You may be over-extruding a bit. I'd suggest two steps:

(1) Measure your incoming filament diameter with an accurate digital caliper. Do this at two or more point, and at each point, take two readings perpendicular to each other. Use the average of all the readings as your filament diameter in Slic3r.

(2) Measure your extruder calibration. Put a mark on the incoming filament 100mm or so above the extruder, then click the manual "extrude" button six or more times and see how far the mark moved. If it didn't move exactly the full distance that you requested, then adjust the E calibration. I recommend making this adjustment in EEPROM, but it's also possible to do it in startup G-code in your Slic3r settings. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2763

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby desertstriker8 » 2014-Jun-Sun-10-Jun

Do you think this is also causing the stringy grid that i'm getting near the spot where the bolt holes are? or is this normal for the print to look like that? I was assuming that it should be more flat but i'm a newbie so i have no clue! You can see what im talking about in the last picture i posted

desertstriker8

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Jun-Sun-10-Jun

I think that flatter surfaces are mostly a result of getting the filament diameter and the extrusion calibration exactly right (along with the "Extrusion Multiplier" for very fine tweaking), plus extruding at the right temperature for the material you are using. The print speed might have something to do with it (and maybe use of a fan); I'm not an expert at getting flat surfaces.

GT2 belts & pulleys
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby desertstriker8 » 2014-Jun-Sun-15-Jun

So i believe i got it all figured out, but my biggest issue now is i had a 3 hour print going and got about 40 minutes in and my filament that was included with the printer stopped feeding. i noticed i could see it on the beveled gear like it was wearing at the filament as it was extracted into the nozzle. I also noticed that once i got the filament out i could see a wear mark where the toothed gear was eating at it hence why it was not feeding. My question is whats the best way to feed the filament? Should i toss the sample filament that came with the printer and use the spool of makerbot filament i purchased, and also find some type of spool holder so there is no tension?

desertstriker8

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Jun-Sun-15-Jun

Extruder jamming is the subject of hundreds of posts.

GT2 belts & pulleys
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby teicher » 2014-Jun-Sun-19-Jun

desertstriker8 wrote:My question is whats the best way to feed the filament? Should i toss the sample filament that came with the printer and use the spool of makerbot filament i purchased, and also find some type of spool holder so there is no tension?

So definitely mount the spool in such a manner that you've reduces restrictions to the extrude as much as possible. Printrbot just posted some designs for spool holders for the metal simple on youmagine.com, I recommend printing one of those to use.

The sample filament you have is worth using, printrbot sells good quality stuff. No need to get rid of that.

You can also try increasing the temperature, I've run into the behavior you described and bringing the temp up a few degrees helped.

teicher
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby desertstriker8 » 2014-Jun-Mon-10-Jun

As soon as i get home ill test this out, for the mean time while i try and print a spool holder i'm going to have to come up with a makeshift idea to hold the loose filament sample that came with my Printrbot. I saw someone who took a empty 12 pack cut the top off it and put a pencil through the sides to hold the spool. Mabye i can get that to work while i print the spool holder. Thanks teicher!

desertstriker8

Return to My first blob