My First Print, issues...

Discuss your first ever printrbot print

Postby Will_Maunders » 2014-May-Fri-14-May

Hi there,

Just built my Jr V2.

Can anyone please look at my print.

I have the bed set to 70 and the hot end set to 185 for all layers. but as you can see in the photos the first few layers seems to be really stringy, seems to happen with what ever i print... I'm pretty happy with the z axis, with a business card distance between the hot end and bed across.

Does anyone have any pointers?

Many Thanks
Will

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Will_Maunders
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: My First Print, issues...

Postby plexus » 2014-May-Fri-15-May

Welcome, Will. That could be caused by insufficient extrusion. since the rest of the print looks ok, you might want to check for extrusion issues when you see that happening. the way I do this, is to grab the filament as it feeds into the printer and feel it being pulled it. you don't want to pull on it so much that you are pulling on it but you want to feel it being fed in. you want to feel it feeding proportionally to the manner in which the extruder motor is turning. you might want to put a line on the hobbed gear so you an see it turn. the idea is that you want to feel if the filament is slipping or not. if the filament is feeding ok, then you want to extrude some filament at typical speeds with the hot end up a bit so you can watch the filament come out of the nozzle. again you are looking for consistent smooth extrusion. if not then you may have a blockage or issue with the hot end.

There are other things that can cause this but the first thing to check is extrusion. report your findings and we can help you further.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby Jdublu » 2014-May-Fri-15-May

Are you printing a skirt before the cube prints? I set my first layer temp 3-5 degrees hotter than my additional layers and use a two loop skirt. The skirt helps get the extruder flowing prior to printing and the higher first layer temp helps stick it to the platform.

Metal Simple
E stepper heatsink w/fan
Z axis stepper heatsink w/fan
Extruder fan
Hotbed relay fan
6"x6" Heater board
40 Amp power supply
Matrix-Precision 8" x 8" aluminum bed X-Y upgrade
Matrix-Precision 10" Z axis upgrade
S. Florida
Jdublu
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby Will_Maunders » 2014-May-Fri-15-May

I have tested my extrusion and asking for 10mm is pretty much spot on plexus.... and Jdublu, Im currently asking for 3 loops, but to be fair it doesn't usually start setting until after the first or second loop....

Any ideas?

Thanks
Will

Will_Maunders

Postby Jdublu » 2014-May-Fri-15-May

My first loop is usually about 80% complete, second loop is 100% and is slightly compressed, thickness wise. In cross section, it is much more of an oval than a round bead. If you aren't getting that little bit of 'squish' you need to adjust your Z height.

Metal Simple
E stepper heatsink w/fan
Z axis stepper heatsink w/fan
Extruder fan
Hotbed relay fan
6"x6" Heater board
40 Amp power supply
Matrix-Precision 8" x 8" aluminum bed X-Y upgrade
Matrix-Precision 10" Z axis upgrade
S. Florida
Jdublu
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby Will_Maunders » 2014-May-Fri-15-May

Ok Jdublu, its currently set to about a business card, you reckon i should try to reduce it slightly then yeah?

Will

Will_Maunders

Postby killbox » 2014-May-Fri-18-May

most people use paper, the card is a bit too thick. my guess it would be around a full layer height as apposed to the needed half layer height

Redesigned JonBot printed in XT and reinforced with MDF over structure
Ramps 1.4
LCD
E3D V6
8x8 Hotbed
smoothieboard
*Coming soon* Rocking duel exturders
killbox
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby Will_Maunders » 2014-May-Sat-07-May

So i readjusted the hot end till its just a papers width away from the bed.

As you can see I'm getting much better results on the base of the model.

Still got a few issues to deal with, if anyone can give input i'd really appreciate it!

1) The very top block/ square appears to have very rounded corners compared to the rest, I assume this is down to the small surface area and print time per a layer? what would be the best way to solve this?

2) Where it is bridging over a gap some material is sagging down, does anyone have any idea why this is and again how to overcome?

Thanks!
Will

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Will_Maunders

Postby slicedveggie » 2014-May-Fri-08-May

In your top block - you are right on in your assessment - its got a super short build time and doesn't have time to cool properly. Make sure your cooling is turned on and then you can also slow your build speed way down to give it time to set and cool. As far as bridging, theres some good discussions about that on the forum. Its sort of an art that combines speed/acceleration, temperature and cooling. Check out this thread and look at Mochaboy's solution - viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5724&p=37094&hilit=bridging#p37094

slicedveggie
I'm an end stop.

Return to My first blob