Hello from Toronto, Canada!

Discuss your first ever printrbot print

Postby 2pandas » 2014-Apr-Mon-17-Apr

Hi everybody, I love the sense community on these forums. I'm hoping to get some feedback on the 3rd picture, it was ran after a successful 5mm calibration cube. I suspect that it might be the heat from the extruder motor messing up the print?

I got the Printrbot Simple after seeing it highlighted on Make magazine's 2014 review of 3d printers, followed their advice and got myself a pre-assembled version. I have added a fan duct for increased cooling - I would assume that helps with making bridges.

With that in mind, here is my first print of the 5mm calibration cube,
IMG_2351.jpg

IMG_2365.jpg

Now here is head-scratchin' mis-print:
IMG_2359.jpg

Any thoughts on what settings can be altered? I have the temperature at 195C and extrusion at 30mm/sec

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2pandas
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Hello from Toronto, Canada!

Postby 2pandas » 2014-Apr-Tue-11-Apr

A little update, the extruder gear is clicking, and turns out that there was a lot of resistance through the hot end. Disengaging the roller bearing and pushing it by hand was very difficult / near impossible. After a bit of elbow grease and a paper clip, the entire path is clear and this is confirmed since I can see through the bed from the top.

Tonight I will try running it again, perhaps my temperature of 195 is too high for the filament, I will start at 190 and muster all my discipline to be more systematic instead of itching to unleash bold & dramatic fixes / modifications.

2pandas
Waiting to connect to printer...

Re: Hello from Toronto, Canada!

Postby DonaldJ » 2014-Apr-Tue-13-Apr

2pandas wrote:
Tonight I will try running it again, perhaps my temperature of 195 is too high for the filament, I will start at 190 and muster all my discipline to be more systematic instead of itching to unleash bold & dramatic fixes / modifications.

Actually, your temperature may be too *low*. Most of the PLA I have from PBHQ specifies a range of 195-205C, but consider that a guideline. I've run hotter (but never cooler), depending on the nozzle size being used.

If the temperature is too low the PLA doesn't melt properly and increases the resistance in the hotend, hence the "clicking."

Trial and error is your friend. Other variables include ambient temperature, humidity, color of filament (additives), filament manufacturer, filament tolerances (measure the diameter), and phases of the moon. ;-)

DonaldJ
Support material...

Return to My first blob