First print... some funkiness

Discuss your first ever printrbot print

Postby fwillerup » 2014-Mar-Mon-01-Mar

My first print from the Printrbot simple 2014 -- using the settings from the Getting Started Guide.
A little stringy looking.

I will start tuning things, but would of course welcome any pointers as I am completely new to 3d printing.

Screen Shot 2014-03-31 at 12.39.34 AM.png

Thanks,
Fred

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fwillerup
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: First print... some funkiness

Postby fwillerup » 2014-Mar-Mon-23-Mar

Figured out my issue: major user error! I had updated configuration settings for slic3r but settings didn't take because I hadn't selected the presets in the dropdowns on the Slicer tab in Repetier-- so it was printing using the defaults. Prints are much better now!

fwillerup
Waiting to connect to printer...

Re: First print... some funkiness

Postby sarahspins » 2014-Apr-Tue-00-Apr

fwillerup wrote:Figured out my issue: major user error! I had updated configuration settings for slic3r but settings didn't take because I hadn't selected the presets in the dropdowns on the Slicer tab in Repetier-- so it was printing using the defaults. Prints are much better now!

That's exactly what I was going to suggest - the "default" settings don't work particularly well because they're just not set with a .4mm nozzle in mind, so you'll need to adjust them before making your first prints - most notably the things that will trip you up and cause major print problems are the nozzle size and the layer height, but the default speeds are all too high for a stock simple as well so you'll want to dial those back as well (see the simple settings thread for suggestions there). That said, my simple was surprisingly well calibrated right out of the box - make some calibration prints and make careful measurements, but if your printer is "pretty darn close" (say your 5mm calibration cube measures 25.17mm across), I wouldn't change anything.

sarahspins
I'm an end stop.

Return to My first blob