My (Fourth) Blob

Discuss your first ever printrbot print

My (Fourth) Blob

Postby mrflyer » 2014-Mar-Tue-20-Mar

Hey guys. I got my printrbot almost a month ago, but have only printed 4 parts. All of them have come out pretty well, until this one.
photo (1).JPG

Any idea why it did this or how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mrflyer
Waiting to connect to printer...

My (Fourth) Blob

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: My (Fourth) Blob

Postby wasty » 2014-Mar-Wed-00-Mar

The motor which makes the move to the left/right is slipping. The gear wheel is slipping from the motor shaft...

wasty
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby Stradawhovious » 2014-Mar-Wed-10-Mar

What machine do you have? What settings are you using to print?

If I had to guess you are running a simple at a feedrate of 100 and the fishing line used to move the x axis is loose.

Stradawhovious

Postby mrflyer » 2014-Mar-Wed-12-Mar

I'm using a simple made from the kit. Exxtruder temperature is 205. Can't really remember the other settings and I'm away from the computer I use to print right now. I'll look up the other settings when I get home. How could I fix the loose/slipping x axis?

mrflyer

Postby Stradawhovious » 2014-Mar-Wed-12-Mar

mrflyer wrote:I'm using a simple made from the kit. Exxtruder temperature is 205. Can't really remember the other settings and I'm away from the computer I use to print right now. I'll look up the other settings when I get home. How could I fix the loose/slipping x axis?

There should be a tensioner on one end of the x and y axis. On the X it's where the line is attached on the left side of the bed (as you look at the machine's front) and on the y axis it's in the back of the machine. Tighten the screw and the line will get taught. When you move the x or y axis all the way to one end and pluck the long side of the line it should be tight enough to produce a tone kind of like plucking a guitar string. My x axis line stretched (knots slipped) over the first week and was VERY loose. A couple turns of that screw and I was back in business.

I found mine loosened at the knot, so I would also recommend putting a tiny dab of CA glue on your knots to make sure they don't slip in the future. It may be overkill, but I also put a tiny drop of blue loctite on the nut at the tensioning screw.

Another thing you might consider (in addition to making sure the line is taught) is to back the feerate down to 75 or 80 to help keep the print motion less violent. I found that to keep the slipping to a minimum.

YMMV.

Stradawhovious

Postby slicedveggie » 2014-Mar-Wed-18-Mar

I had to tighten the crap out of my lines to prevent them from getting loose. Dont be afraid to use some force to tighten them. Also, 205 seems to be pretty hot for the PLA i've printed. I ended up turning down to 200 or even 195 for first and then 190 - 195 for additional and things got lots better for me.

slicedveggie
I'm an end stop.

Postby mrflyer » 2014-Mar-Wed-20-Mar

So, I tightened the x axis. It doesn't seem to be slipping anymore, but I'm having this problem with the solid infill getting away from the perimeter on one side and into it on the other.
photo 1.JPG

Any way to fix this?

I've got
.3mm layer height
25mm/s perimeter speed with 50mm/s infill speed.
I don't really know what other settings are important.
I'll turn down my temp.
Thanks for all the help so far!!!!! :D :D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mrflyer

Postby slicedveggie » 2014-Mar-Wed-20-Mar

Someone recommended these settings to me and for the most part they worked well, obviously you'll have to do your own tweaking, but in your case, i'd focus on the infill - viewtopic.php?f=113&t=3757&p=40996&hilit=simple+settings%3A#p40996

slicedveggie
I'm an end stop.

Postby mrflyer » 2014-Mar-Thu-16-Mar

So I used those settings. Infill seems to be better, but I'm having trouble printing a part I designed. This is my design.
image.jpg

This is what came out.
image.jpg

As you can see slic3r is ignoring the empty space between the two vertical parts. I killed the print when I saw this. Do you guys know how to fix this?
Also kinda nit picky but is this jaggedness just an issue of calibration or something else?
image.jpg

Once again thanks for all the help

mrflyer

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Mar-Thu-16-Mar

After you slice the object, you can look at it in Repetier using the "G-Code" tab to see if it sliced the way you want it.

Depending on what software you were using and your work method, the object that Slic3r saw might not be what you intended.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Return to My first blob