First Calibration Test

Discuss your first ever printrbot print

First Calibration Test

Postby wundergunder » 2014-Mar-Sun-22-Mar

Not very solid, seems like lots of unmelted lines that didn't cling to the rest of the steps.

Any ideas on what to calibrate?
________
Printrbot Plus 2.1
Repetier-Host Mac V0.56
Slic3r .9.9
Mac Air OS 10.8.5

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
________
Printrbot Plus 2.1
Repetier-Host Mac V0.56
Slic3r .9.9
Mac Air OS 10.8.5
wundergunder
Waiting to connect to printer...

First Calibration Test

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: First Calibration Test

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Mar-Mon-08-Mar

Hard to tell. Maybe your layer height is too great? The layer height should be generally from 50% to 80% of your nozzle diameter - although smaller layers are certainly possible. Your nozzle is almost certainly 0.4mm if it's stock. So I'd recommend a layer height of 0.25 or 0.30mm to start out.

Your plastic was melting, it just was not sticking to the layer underneath. If the problem is not layer height, it might be extruder calibration, or using the right filament diameter. A lot of the factory defaults for these have been preset for different extruders and different filaments than are commonly being shipped now. If you search, you will find lots of posts about these topics.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby kathryn » 2014-Apr-Tue-23-Apr

Repetier Mac .56
Printrbot Simple 2013- wood extruder - wood bed - extremely basic setup.
This seems very similar to problems that I am having with MAC and Repetier. The thing is that I have mostly used a PC with my Printrbot and couldn't be happier, then I switched to MAC and the results are terrible. No bonding between layers, insufficient flow rate, a weak first layer, or little bonding on the first layer. I have tried matching the settings to the suggested initial settings, to what I have used on the PC, and also going a little wacky and upping the flow rate to ridiculous levels, and reducing the layer height by almost half. The results are still subpar, massively subpar.
So far reducing layer height did little to repair the lack of bonding between layers, and low flow rate.
I notice that even though I set the fill type to rectilinear, it still seems to do some wacky partial fill gymnastics that do little to help with the bonding situation.
I am hoping that this is really a problem with MAC and repetier and not a problem with my extruder. I am going to test it out on PC again, it just means moving the printer to another building.

*Update*
I did figure out what was wrong. In the MAC version of Repetier, on the main slicer tab you have to select the printer settings you would like it to use from either default or the saved settings you have assigned. I finally figured it out when the fill was honeycomb, and I had chosen rectilinear fill a dozen times or so...
I couldn't figure out why it wasn't accepting my settings, a couple of little noodly things like that just work differently. Anyway, I hope my "duh" moment helps others!

Last edited by kathryn on 2014-Jun-Fri-18-Jun, edited 1 time in total.
kathryn

Postby kathryn » 2014-Apr-Wed-17-Apr

Okay, so I hooked the Simple back up to a PC and it is printing absolutely flawlessly. So I guess it is some kink with the MAC version of Repetier.
Phew! I was really thinking that my printer had problems.

kathryn

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Apr-Wed-19-Apr

Just curious... If you create G-code on the PC and then simply copy the file to your Mac and run the PC's G-code from the Mac, does it still goof up?

If it prints flawlessly, then there's something in the Slic3r and Repetier settings in the Mac that is different. If it goofs up, then I guess your solution for using the Mac is to print from the SD card. Others with Mac's find that helps.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby fwillerup » 2014-Apr-Thu-09-Apr

This looks very similar to my first print -- see previous topic from a few days ago. I had modified the settings in Repetier (Mac version) but hadn't actually picked the settings in the dropdowns on the Slicer tab. By default the dropdowns are blank and any changes you make to settings will be ignored.

slicersettings.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fwillerup

Return to My first blob