Three big issues with first prints

Discuss your first ever printrbot print

Postby manbearpig » 2014-Feb-Sun-22-Feb

Hey all,

I recently finished putting together my Simple and I was pretty excited to see it start working. My first few prints didn't turn out as total blobs, but there were still some big issues I had with them.

The first one is that the bottom layer seems to warp upward. I currently have masking tape on the bed to help it stick, but I guess that isn't doing the trick. Will turning it upside down to have the adhesive end face upward help, or should I be doing something else?

Second, even though I set up my printer / slic3r settings in Repetier per the printbot manual, the X axis comes out slightly out of proportion from the Y axis, causing things to stretch a bit - e.g. circles become ovals, squares become rectangles, etc.

Third, the upper portion of my nozzle appears to leak enough that after about 10 minutes, a blob will accumulate and run down the nozzle, leaving a horrendous lump of goo all over my nice print. I've tried to put some teflon tape on the threads that the nozzle screws on to, but this doesn't appear to have helped.

Any help would be hugely appreciated :mrgreen:

manbearpig
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Three big issues with first prints

Postby Hadesblue » 2014-Feb-Sun-23-Feb

1. Use blue painters tape (I'm using 3M Blue Scotch Tape) normal masking tape won't work it doesn't have the same wax coating
2. Check that the pulleys and belts are tight, as they may be slipping
3. not sure about the nozzle

Hadesblue
Levelling print bed...

Postby DonaldJ » 2014-Feb-Mon-00-Feb

manbearpig wrote:
Third, the upper portion of my nozzle appears to leak enough that after about 10 minutes, a blob will accumulate and run down the nozzle, leaving a horrendous lump of goo all over my nice print. I've tried to put some teflon tape on the threads that the nozzle screws on to, but this doesn't appear to have helped.

How much teflon tape did you use? If you used the white stuff, a couple of wraps aren't enough. That stuff is very thin.

Wrap in a clockwise direction, starting at the threads furthest from the tip and overlap it quite a bit until you get about 5 or 6 turns when you reach the end of the threads.

If you do this when the hotend is cold, just tighten it with your fingers until you get a little bit of resistance. Then bring the hotend to operating temperature and use a wrench to snug it up. It doesn't need much force. If you think you should tighten it a little more, STOP.

See if that solves the problem. Don't forget to reset the nozzle height, otherwise it may crash into the printbed.

DonaldJ
Support material...

Postby Hadesblue » 2014-Feb-Mon-00-Feb

Also make sure the bed is level, and that the hot-end is close enough to the bed (using the paper test), when printing the first layer should be slightly squashed compared to the other layers.

If tightening the nozzle doesn't work, i can only guess that there's a blockage. This is usually caused by feeding the filament while the hot-end was still cold, (i did this on my first printer) the result is that the filament that doesn't come out builds up and overflows. To unblock you can try heating up the hot-end to about 210 and forcing filament through it. I've been printing PLA at about 200 so 210 should be hot enough to melt anything that's blocking it without burning the PLA.

Hadesblue
Levelling print bed...

Postby manbearpig » 2014-Feb-Mon-11-Feb

Alright, I'm using blue painter's tape now, but still getting the same effect, so I'll just try to bring the nozzle closer in. I'm currently running at 205C, which i figured would be enough to help the first layer stick - maybe another 5 degrees or so is necessarily?

As for the X and Y axis slippage, i checked both of the lines, and they're pretty dang tight. Any more tightening, and I think the lines may snap. Could this possibly be a software issue?

manbearpig

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Feb-Mon-12-Feb

Circles becoming ovals and squares becoming rectangles does not necessarily indicate slippage on your filaments. The other possibility is that you need to adjust your X and Y calibration numbers (steps per mm). There are lots of posts about calibrating, and it's covered to some extent in the Getting Started Guides on the Printrbot web site.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby manbearpig » 2014-Feb-Mon-12-Feb

RetireeJay wrote:Circles becoming ovals and squares becoming rectangles does not necessarily indicate slippage on your filaments. The other possibility is that you need to adjust your X and Y calibration numbers (steps per mm). There are lots of posts about calibrating, and it's covered to some extent in the Getting Started Guides on the Printrbot web site.

Alright, I'll have a closer look at that stuff. Thanks.

manbearpig

Postby manbearpig » 2014-Feb-Mon-14-Feb

Dang, talk about bad luck. After I applied the teflon tape to the threads on the hot end, it seems like I over-torqued the nozzle when i was screwing it back on, and the entire screw snapped off. :o

Does anybody know a place that has hot ends in stock? All the places I've looked show them as out of stock

manbearpig

Postby DonaldJ » 2014-Feb-Tue-20-Feb

manbearpig wrote:Dang, talk about bad luck. After I applied the teflon tape to the threads on the hot end, it seems like I over-torqued the nozzle when i was screwing it back on, and the entire screw snapped off.

Screw? What screw?

DonaldJ
Support material...

Postby Hadesblue » 2014-Feb-Wed-20-Feb

If you bought the printrbot from the printrbot store i would try getting a replacement. http://printrbot.com/shop/10-hot-end-re ... t-program/
Your hot-end may have been faulty.

Hadesblue
Levelling print bed...

Return to My first blob