First and Second prints, 6 months apart

Discuss your first ever printrbot print

Postby gyazbek » 2014-Feb-Tue-14-Feb

It has been a crazy past year. I only had time to do one print since I first assembled the bot. Last week I decided to play with the printer again and made a second print.

The first print was the calibration cube, and the second one was the shark. What really has me stumped is the obvious difference in quality in the two pieces, as I changed nothing aside from bed temperature.
The cube was printed at 65 and the shark at 40.

Is it normal for the bottom of the prints to melt and become shiny? It flattens the bottom and I have to trim to remove the added borders.
I verified the bed temperature with an IR and it matches correctly with the software reading.

Setup:
PB Plus v2 w/ Glassbed + Kapton + ABS sample that came with printer + 1 printed clip for glass =)

** I actually did make one slight change. I used a digital caliper to measure the ABS and input that value in repetier instead of the assumed value.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gyazbek
Loading filament...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: First and Second prints, 6 months apart

Postby holmes4 » 2014-Feb-Tue-20-Feb

It's normal for the bottom to have a different texture - mainly due to the usual increased extrusion amount on the first layer to get it to stick, and the smooth glass (you're using) surface.

Steve
PB+ Backer 1402
holmes4
Bowden extruder

Postby crschmidt » 2014-Feb-Wed-22-Feb

If you're getting a much thicker layer on the first layer, it probably means your bed is a bit high; I've found over the past couple weeks that getting the 'paper' test right is the first step, and I follow that up with a print that basically just prints a ring around the outside of my bed, and watch for 'thicker' vs. 'smushed' single layer. Adjusting the bed to be slightly lower will mean less plastic is pushed to the side, and you'll have a bit less trimming to do.

crschmidt
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby gyazbek » 2014-Feb-Thu-18-Feb

crschmidt wrote:If you're getting a much thicker layer on the first layer, it probably means your bed is a bit high; I've found over the past couple weeks that getting the 'paper' test right is the first step, and I follow that up with a print that basically just prints a ring around the outside of my bed, and watch for 'thicker' vs. 'smushed' single layer. Adjusting the bed to be slightly lower will mean less plastic is pushed to the side, and you'll have a bit less trimming to do.

I didn't fancy the paper test too much, so I just used a feeler gauge set at 0.04". I will try your suggestion on printing a ring on the outside of the bed. Actually, I'll do a spiral so that it covers the majority of the bed at different distances.

Thanks

gyazbek
Loading filament...

Return to My first blob