My First 3D Printer

Discuss your first ever printrbot print

My First 3D Printer

Postby HerbsMix » 2015-Oct-Mon-11-Oct

Hi All!
I have recently assembled a PrintrBot Simple Metal kit (F4) and am impressed with the design and quality of parts. During assembly I encountered several issues: 1) Z-axis thread block required larger mounting hols to match the motor, 2) slotted holes on right side of bed to relieve stress on the X-axis sliding assembly, 3) was required to rotate booth X-axis and Extruder motor connectors on the controller to get proper direction of travel.

I am using Ubuntu 15.04, Blender and Cura running on Odroid-UX3 as my main processor and all was going well during Z-axis calibration and several hours of good print results. I was in the process of designing a bracket to mount a dial indicator for checking the alignment of the bed when printing went bad. The extruder was way about the bed extruding string on the bed. It would not home.

The problem is with the Z-axis only going up. I tested the sensor with metal and the LED indicated properly but the controller indicated just the opposite. With metal (LED-on) the controller reads OPEN and without metal (LED-off) TRIGGERED. The controller reads TRIGGERED with the sensor disconnected. The Z-axis will travel both up and down while holding metal underneath.

I have reported this to PrintrBot and currently waiting for a reply.

This has been an exciting project.
Herb

HerbsMix
Loading filament...

My First 3D Printer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: My First 3D Printer

Postby Xander52 » 2015-Oct-Thu-08-Oct

You might need a new printrboard, or a reflash, or one of the components on the printrboard need to be replaced.

Xander52
Levelling print bed...

Postby HerbsMix » 2015-Oct-Thu-14-Oct

I discovered testing procedures on PrinterBot that indicates a failed Z-axis leveling sensor. They said they would replace the fauly part under warranty.

My challenge now is finding out how to find/fill out a replacement ticket.

HerbsMix
Loading filament...

Postby Xander52 » 2015-Oct-Thu-16-Oct

In the support ticket you opened, they should ask you for your home address so they can ship you the probe.

Xander52
Levelling print bed...

Postby HerbsMix » 2015-Oct-Thu-18-Oct

Yes they did. I finally found it under "I am missing parts". I now already have a tracking number.
This has been a good learning experience for me. Thanks for your concern.
Herb

HerbsMix
Loading filament...

Postby Xander52 » 2015-Oct-Fri-09-Oct

Glad to be helpful. The probes are a common failure, they often have glitches, for example on my makers kit, on one corner, it was not probing correctly causing one side of my print to be extremely squished, the other came off the bed. I fixed by tilting the bed at a angle and for some reason that fixed it. I would suggest printing a cable chain to extend the life of your probe. This: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1060522 seems to be decent.
If this post helped you, hit thumbs up if you like.

Xander52
Levelling print bed...

Return to My first blob