What printrbot simple do i have?

Discuss your first ever printrbot print

Postby chuber » 2015-Sep-Tue-11-Sep

I recently purchased a printrbot simple off of Ebay. I am not sure which one I have. I have attached some photos.

I am using Cura and tried to run the leveling wizard and basically the head ran down to the table and jammed, I don't think that this is correct.

If anyone has a guide to a newbie to 3d printing as well as printrbot simple I would sure appreciate it.

Thank You

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chuber
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: What printrbot simple do i have?

Postby PxT » 2015-Sep-Tue-11-Sep

Little bit hard to tell based on the small photos you shared but it looks like the Simple v2 (aka model 1312) or maybe the Maker's edition (model 1401).

To prevent the head crashing into the bed you may need to adjust the Z end-stop switch. On this model there should be a machine screw that makes contact with a small lever switch when the print head is at (or very close to) the bed. You want to adjust that screw by turning it one way or the other so that it triggers the switch, and therefore stops the vertical movement, when there is about a sheet of paper thickness between the nozzle and the bed. When the switch is triggered you should not be able to move the print head any lower using software, so you should verify that that works correctly before going any further. If not then your switch may be faulty.

PxT
Print complete...

Postby thawkins » 2015-Sep-Tue-13-Sep

PxT wrote:Little bit hard to tell based on the small photos you shared but it looks like the Simple v2 (aka model 1312) or maybe the Maker's edition (model 1401).

To prevent the head crashing into the bed you may need to adjust the Z end-stop switch. On this model there should be a machine screw that makes contact with a small lever switch when the print head is at (or very close to) the bed. You want to adjust that screw by turning it one way or the other so that it triggers the switch, and therefore stops the vertical movement, when there is about a sheet of paper thickness between the nozzle and the bed. When the switch is triggered you should not be able to move the print head any lower using software, so you should verify that that works correctly before going any further. If not then your switch may be faulty.

I had one of these, it is a 1312, the z adjustment screw is right in the middle of the first photo.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby chuber » 2015-Sep-Wed-14-Sep

Thank you for the replies.

If you have used this device before, can you tell me what software is best to use? Cura, or Repetier?

chuber
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby Xander52 » 2015-Sep-Wed-08-Sep

chuber wrote:Thank you for the replies.

If you have used this device before, can you tell me what software is best to use? Cura, or Repetier?

I prefer cura for my 1405, I just reduce the speed from 40mm per second to 20. MAJOR quality increase. I also increase the retraction and make the fan start at the first layer, and make sure that your first layer is the same as all the others, otherwise the skirt will not work.

Xander52
Levelling print bed...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Sep-Wed-09-Sep

Cura's a slicing program with a g code sending user interface (a clone of Printrun) tacked on, Repetier-Host is exclusively a g code sender, with an added capability to call slicing programs, so they're different things. R-H can call either Cura or Slic3r , or even the ancient Skeinforge, but it's much better to invoke the slicer separately and not "automagically" through the user interface. Lots more control, plus you actually realize they're completely different entities.

PB started recommending Cura due to an open-source spat and not any technical issues. Both slicing programs have their own strengths and weaknesses, you should be able to use either.

Jerk and acceleration both factor into print quality along with speed, its not as simple as it might appear. Lots of online information on tuning 3D printers, google is your friend.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to My first blob