First test not bad... but X and Y way off

Discuss your first ever printrbot print

Postby russellriker » 2015-Aug-Wed-13-Aug

So got my new Printrbot Metal Simple last night, and was really happy with my first few prints. Yeah there might have been a couple stops and restarts.

But the thing that was causing me the most problems was the all the prints where starting off in the back right corner of a bed? Which I totally didn't get, because the test print that the folks at Printrbot did and was smack dab in the middle of the bed when I un-boxed it? so i started playing around with the M212 code and moving my x and y closer to the center and saving them to the config with M500. but if Printrbot had printed in the center of the bed, why would I have to set x and y again? Or is some setting I missed in CURA?

If anyone else has seen this, would love to find out more from you.
Thanks
Russ

russellriker
Loading filament...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: First test not bad... but X and Y way off

Postby cacb » 2015-Aug-Wed-14-Aug

First off make sure the model is in the center in Cura and that your Cura settings are for Printrbot Metal Simple and not some other printer. If the above is ok, you should be almost in the middle, except for the ~25mm offset in X direction that is default in the printer (but I think possibly incorrect).

Printrbot Simple Metal Kit + heated bed upgrade. KISSlicer (Kubuntu/Win7), OctoPrint (wireless Raspberry Pi model B) - http://arnholm.org/
cacb
Support material...

Postby bbrown64 » 2015-Aug-Wed-14-Aug

There are settings in Cura that define the print area. Once the 150x150x150 settings are set then the print should start in the center of the bed.

Bill Brown
Tulsa, OK
bbrown64
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby cacb » 2015-Aug-Wed-15-Aug

bbrown64 wrote:There are settings in Cura that define the print area. Once the 150x150x150 settings are set then the print should start in the center of the bed.

Well it isn't exactly in the center. At least not last time I used Cura (15.02.1). Same thing when using OctoPrint. It is off in X by the same amount the Z probe is offset from the hotend.

Printrbot Simple Metal Kit + heated bed upgrade. KISSlicer (Kubuntu/Win7), OctoPrint (wireless Raspberry Pi model B) - http://arnholm.org/
cacb
Support material...

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Aug-Wed-17-Aug

Try adding G28 X0 after the G29 leveling command, to re-zero the X axis.

It seems like this is a bug in the auto-leveling firmware.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Return to My first blob