Metal Simple

Discuss your first ever printrbot print

Metal Simple

Postby ArmorTheEarth » 2015-Jun-Mon-19-Jun

Hi everyone! Just set up my Metal Simple today. I'm printing with T-PLA 1.75mm I built myself a spool holder out of PVC pipes, it seems to work OK.

I downloaded Repetier V1.0.6. and I've printed 3 objects with it so far. I did also download CURA 15.04 but haven't tried it yet.

For my first print I covered the bed in blue painters tape, loaded a file from Thingiverse Iron Man Statue (With Support) by SumboDesign, published Jun 28, 2015

I used the slicer in Repetier and was super surprised it said it would only take 1 hour and 8 minutes to print!

I held my breath and hit print. Everything started out great, but halfway through the model broke at the knees and fell over.

I did try again, and again and finally on my third time I was semi-successful.
FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Here's my question. Is there a way to print slower? And if so, will that make the model smoother and give it better detail?

I tried raising the temperature to 230, slowing the fan to 60% and slowing the feed rate to 90. It seemed to help a tiny bit.

I also printed a batarang and it came out OK. It seems a little brittle, I'm wondering if there's a way to have the lines print closer so the model is smoother and stronger?

batarang.jpg

Thanks for any advice, I'm happy to be here!!! :D

I attached pics of my settings for reference, thanks again for any advice.

settings1.jpg

settings2.jpg

settingsthree.jpg

settings4.jpg

settings6.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ArmorTheEarth
Waiting to connect to printer...

Metal Simple

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Metal Simple

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Jun-Mon-19-Jun

Does a Simple really have a printable area of 200 X 200mm?

But that's not the issue with your prints.

It looks like you might have loose belts or pulleys, causing variability in the positioning of the nozzle.

Or maybe it's calibration. Have you checked your calibrations in X, Y, Z, and especially E?
Have you told your slicer the correct (measured) filament diameter?
For the calibration of E and measuring filament diameter, you might want to read through this thread: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=9930#p64511

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Re: Metal Simple

Postby IB3D » 2015-Jun-Mon-22-Jun

As Jay suggested you will eventually want to change the platform dimensions to 152 mm for X,Y,Z. With RepetierHost (Windows) print speed would be set prior to slicing. Open Slice Tab>configuration>then depending upon which slicer you use, change accordingly. If Slic3r be certain to save (blue Floppy Icon) any changes prior to toggling between configuration settings. Of the three slicing options available in RepetierHost, Slic3r produces the cleanest prints thus far in my case.

cura.jpg

slic3r.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IB3D
Waiting for extruder temp...

Return to My first blob