ABS without heat.

Discuss your first ever printrbot print

ABS without heat.

Postby dlw » 2016-Sep-Mon-14-Sep

Has anyone tried the method of mixing acetone with ABS to make a solution to coat glass.
A video on youtube shows it can be don.

Comments please.

dlw

dlw
Loading filament...

ABS without heat.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: ABS without heat.

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Sep-Mon-14-Sep

It's called abs juice.

ABS likes to warp while cooling and pull away from the print surface. Feel free to try abs juice, but it's reportedly really hard to remove the printed object if you're using an unheated bed, either that or it won't hold well enough and will pop off while printing. Never tried it, since my plywood wonder was shipped with a heated bed, a sample roll of ABS, and no print cooling fan. PB started off recommending ABS and avoiding PLA before they reversed their stand.

Why do you want to use ABS? It's tricky stuff to print with and some think it has an objectionable smell. For most things PLA is better.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Sep-Mon-14-Sep

It's been talked about in this forum for four years: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1101&p=9243

You can learn a lot by searching in this forum; thousands of topics exist.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby dlw » 2016-Sep-Mon-14-Sep

I am making a prototype of a product.
Testing is imperative before presentation.
My understanding is ABS will hold up better and last longer.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

dlw

dlw
Loading filament...

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Sep-Mon-15-Sep

RetireeJay wrote:It's been talked about in this forum for four years: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1101&p=9243.

There's some old names in that topic. Back in those days we all had heated beds, @dlw wants to try ABS with an unheated bed.

KIrk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Sep-Mon-15-Sep

dlw wrote:I am making a prototype of a product.
Testing is imperative before presentation.
My understanding is ABS will hold up better and last longer.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

dlw

It depends on what you're doing with, so you can't just make an unqualified statement about holding up and lasting longer. Try googling"printing abs vs pla" for a comparison (although Sturgeon's law states that 90% of everything on the Internet (or anywhere else :) ) is cr*p). RJ would know if PETG would be a better choice for you.

I'd be very hesitant to make a bet my business prototype with a low end hobby grade printer, especially as a 3D printing beginner. They're just not designed for it. Yes, you can make it work, eventually, but it'll be a long process of learning how your printer works and modding it to make it do what you want. Do you want to use your time dinking around with a hobbyist device or developing your product? Think about printing sample parts with PLA, which your printer likely was designed for, then use a service like Shapeways to print the actual prototype. There's a reason that professional 3D printers cost tens of thousands of dollars, and it's not all evil money grubbing profiteering and price gouging.

If you go the homemade route at least invest in a printer with a heated bed, or add one to your existing device. You'll likely need to upgrade the power supply. Is that something you're willing to take on?

Side note, one of my daughters is an entrepreneur who's been CEO of a few startups. She's had mixed results hiring others to 3D print prototype parts for her (not me...), and good luck (although pricey) with shapeways parts.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Sep-Mon-15-Sep

Moose and I are on the same wavelength...

Commercial machines that corporations buy for their R&D departments often use ABS (and rarely if ever PLA). But they definitely do use heated beds, and in fact they use heated chambers, with forced air circulation and very precise temperature control in order to make ABS parts that don't warp or crack. These machines are the size of large refrigerators. I'd be very surprised if you can make anything much larger than a stack of four or five pennies out of ABS on an cold-bed Printrbot without having problems with adhesion, warping, and cracking.

I've been using T-Glase, and it is much easier to print than ABS (it also doesn't smell, at least to my nose). T-Glase (a form of PET, similar to what they use for water bottles) makes reasonably strong prints that are more resistant to heat and degradation than PLA. I generally print with a heated bed, but I think T-Glase it would work for smallish parts if you use Elmer's Glue Stick on glass at room temperature. I also historically did a lot of work with nylon - which is extremely tough (I mean resistant to breaking), and also can be printed on glass with glue stick, or on Garolite (see Taulman3D.com). However, nylon is hygroscopic so it may warp during use depending on whether it's exposed to water or high humidity. Nylon is very bad for ooze (plastic dribbling out of the nozzle when it's not supposed to be extruding); T-Glase ooze is not as bad as nylon; I guess PLA must be even better for avoiding ooze based on pictures I've seen of beautiful prints.

GT2 belts & pulleys
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Corey Warren » 2016-Sep-Tue-18-Sep

RetireeJay,

Do you print using clear T-Glase or colored T-Glase? I don't seem to see a whole lot of colors in T-Glase. Maybe, I'm not looking at the right sites.

Corey Warren
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Sep-Tue-19-Sep

They have clear, red, blue, green, aqua, and opaque white. http://taulman3d.com/buy-direct.html

GT2 belts & pulleys
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Return to My first blob