Is this a Printrbot Talk ad or a Tapatalk ad?

Discussions about the forum. How to expand and enhance it.

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Feb-Mon-07-Feb

Browsing the forums and when this Ford thread came up, I didn't remember posting so I wanted to see what I said. Upon hitting it I was taken to Ford's website, "strange" I thought.

I the noticed the green arrow in the corner suggesting that this is promoted in some way.

If this a Printrbot Talk ad or a Tapatalk ad? If it's for Printrbot Talk then I'm OK with it, but if it's from Tapatalk I will definitely be complaining. It's fine to support the forums you visit by viewing ads but when it comes to the application that I paid real money for its not OK to implement them in such a manner.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Is this a Printrbot Talk ad or a Tapatalk ad?

Postby KDog » 2015-Feb-Mon-10-Feb

Printrbottalk doesn't have ads.

Printrbot Metal Simple
Printrbot Original (printed on a PBJ)
Dec. 2013 ..... Kossel PRO (still waiting for it to arrive!!!)
KDog
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Feb-Mon-12-Feb

KDog wrote:Printrbottalk doesn't have ads.

Sorry, but you're wrong. The website version does have ads. I almost never see them due to adblock+ (sorry, Plexus), but they show up in the web view on my android tablet.

They help Plexus pay the costs for this site, and he absorbs the rest from his own pocket.

There's an exploit (or is that bug?) that's hitting Google ads. WIth luck it'll be fixed soon.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Feb-Mon-12-Feb

Mooselake wrote:
KDog wrote:Printrbottalk doesn't have ads.

They help Plexus pay the costs for this site, and he absorbs the rest from his own pocket.

Hmm, feel bad about using Adblock now. I'll have to disable it on this domain. I don't think that the ad I saw in Tapatalk was a Printrbot Talk one though, I don't care about ads but that was quite intrusive to be honest.

I'm surprised there is no donation system set up, I know other forums use it to offset costs. Have a goal set for a certain amount of time, if it is reached then stop funding (to avoid making a profit) but I would imagine there is a lot more to it than that, the only forum I was an admin on tried to implement a similar system but the owner quit and the entire site went away.

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby PxT » 2015-Feb-Mon-14-Feb

The ad you are seeing in the Tapatalk app is a forum ad, but specific to the tapatalk plugin if that makes sense. The forum admin (@plexus) has the ability to turn on or off ads that are shown in the app separately from the Google ads that are shown in the web view. So to answer the root of your question - any money from tapping that ad should go to the forum owner, not the tapatalk developer.

PxT
Print complete...

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Feb-Mon-14-Feb

PxT wrote:The ad you are seeing in the Tapatalk app is a forum ad, but specific to the tapatalk plugin if that makes sense. The forum admin (@plexus) has the ability to turn on or off ads that are shown in the app separately from the Google ads that are shown in the web view. So to answer the root of your question - any money from tapping that ad should go to the forum owner, not the tapatalk developer.

In that case I'm good with it, not that I don't think Tapatalk deserves money, the app is great, but I would rather it go to the forum.

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby plexus » 2015-Feb-Tue-10-Feb

Thanks for all your support and understanding. the ads on the site are enough to cover the costs of hosting and maintaining the site so I don't want to ask for donations too etc. All is good. sorry if the ads are annoying but I tried to put them on in such a way that they are minimal. I am not sure what the issue with the google ad malware issue however after you brought it to my attention, I emailed the google groups thread someone posted to google adsense asking them to fix it just so they know there is another forum with an issue. as for tapatalk... i keep getting email from them asking me to monitize but I ignore them. not sure why ads are showing up on tapatalk. i'll take a look at it.

plexus
Site Admin

Return to Forum talk