Printrbot Talk Forum Ranks

Discussions about the forum. How to expand and enhance it.

Postby Corey Warren » 2015-Jan-Wed-18-Jan

How do the Ranks work on this site?
My current Rank is "I'm an end stop." What does that mean?
How many Ranks are there?

Corey Warren
Waiting for printbed temp...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Printrbot Talk Forum Ranks

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Jan-Wed-19-Jan

Click on the "Members" button in the upper right of the screen, and when you see the list of members displayed, click on the header of the "Posts" column to see how many ranks there are and how they correlate to number of posts.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Jan-Wed-22-Jan

Cool; I didn't know that.

Plus with this post I'm tied with Reprap Squad :)

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby subether » 2015-Jan-Sat-00-Jan

In addition to the post count system for ranks, the forum admins can also assign custom ranks for certain users for certain reasons. *points at Mr. Moose's rank as an example*

subether
Levelling print bed...

Postby JonS » 2015-Jan-Sat-15-Jan

subether wrote:In addition to the post count system for ranks, the forum admins can also assign custom ranks for certain users for certain reasons. *points at Mr. Moose's rank as an example*

I'm not sure that's a good thing, given he's currently "metal hotbed butt". That sounds extremely uncomfortable!

Printrbot Metal Plus with:

- Dual Ubis 13S metal hot ends (swapped for original Ubis metals)
- Dual Gear Head extruders
- Heated bed
- PEI print bed film

Printrbot Jr (put out to pasture).
JonS
ACME leadscrew

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Jan-Sat-18-Jan

I'll say... Good thing Moose have 4 legs and don't have to sit down very often.

It's based on post count; Reprap Squad has the same rank. A couple hundred more posts and I might be a "Site Admin", unless that's reserved for Plexus and the actual rank at that level is a mystery.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Jan-Sat-18-Jan

Well, I've gone through the "metal hotbed butt" and now my rank is "my next printer is..."
Funny thing is that of all the really active members on this board who seem to have several printers or heavily modified ones, I only have one printer, and it's only mildly modified. And I don't have any plans for another. ;)

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby plexus » 2015-Feb-Sun-22-Feb

but you think about it from time to time ;)

plexus
Site Admin

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Feb-Mon-05-Feb

RetireeJay wrote:Well, I've gone through the "metal hotbed butt" and now my rank is "my next printer is..."
Funny thing is that of all the really active members on this board who seem to have several printers or heavily modified ones, I only have one printer, and it's only mildly modified. And I don't have any plans for another. ;)

A fitting rank then, I would say. We await your announcement! The more printers the better!

2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby thawkins » 2015-Feb-Mon-07-Feb

orangefurball wrote:
RetireeJay wrote:Well, I've gone through the "metal hotbed butt" and now my rank is "my next printer is..."

A fitting rank then, I would say. We await your announcement! The more printers the better!

I have 3

well 2 actual if im being truthfull

well 1 + 0.7 + 0.3 really... if you pin me up against a wall and wave something spiky at me.......

One that works fulltime, my production machine.
One undergoing some heavy tinkering and works for a week on and a week off, and has bits hanging off it and far too much duct tape to be healthy.
One in the middle of being completly rebuilt, all bits beautifuly assembled and lots of promise.

Thinking of starting a new one, probaly an orangefurball delta.

The fun is in the journey, not in the arriving. Having three partialy working machines does not bother me, " she who must be obeyed" keeps telling me that i should finish one before starting the next, but she is missing the whole point of this. These beasts are just big cantankerous jigsaw puzzles for me, with problems by the minute to be solved. I also love that i can create a totaly unique machine that nobody else has, or has any experience with, its the antipattern of the mass market.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Feb-Mon-09-Feb

thawkins wrote:The fun is in the journey, not in the arriving. [Snip] These beasts are just big cantankerous jigsaw puzzles for me, with problems by the minute to be solved. I also love that i can create a totaly unique machine that nobody else has, or has any experience with, its the antipattern of the mass market.

This is one of my favorite things I have read on here a while. You really hit the nail on the head with what 3D printers mean to me, people often ask why I have two and parts scattered everywhere and I just tell them "It's fun!"

It definitely takes a special breed of people to actually want to constantly be problem solving and creating things from the ground up to build something that makes computer models real. I would rather tinker with a printer than watch a TV show, just as an example. The magic never ends with 3D printing.

Something can always be improved, always be fixed, it does take time but if you enjoy what you do then it is one of the greatest hobbies in the world.

2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby plexus » 2015-Feb-Fri-09-Feb

Just as an alternate point of view: I like the tinkering as long as it achieves a pre-set goal, and ideally there are other things to learn through the process. but since I got my printer to the point where its pretty really well, I've stopped modding etc. its gotten to a point where I feel any extra effort is not going to pay off. I have yet to re-build the X gantry with a linear rail and sintered bushings. I have all the parts. its just designing the pieces to build it and frankly I am not thinking its going to pay off for the effort put it. I was ok with all the tinkering initially, to get it up and running, but have been very happy that its over and now the printer enjoys long periods of non-use in between jobs. i can fire it up and print even without setting the Z axis. it just works.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Feb-Sat-17-Feb

Time to leave it alone and build another printer to tinker with?

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby plexus » 2015-Feb-Thu-11-Feb

Mooselake wrote:Time to leave it alone and build another printer to tinker with?

Kirk

I am holding out for a new technology. what technology, I don't know. I think FFF can only go so far and my PB is printing as well as any other FFF printer give or take (I'm not obsessive about it - its hard to rely on melted plastic). I'm hoping for a cost effective laser sintered powder deposition printer. hopefully something I don't need to tinker with much. I think the future of 3D printing is in laser sintering.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Feb-Fri-17-Feb

Well, you're the resident laser expert...

Bre Pettis tells us that SLS will never happen at home, since it involves temps over 700F degrees and your oven won't go that high so it must be dangerous. He must have all LED bulbs in his house, since incandescent bulbs reach around 4600F. My welders won't get that hot, but they're still pretty toasty. That's why you only wear lightweight shoes once while welding; took a while for the spatter burns to heal, good thing I've got 4 feet. Also good the neighbors are a quarter mile away, that kind of language isn't appropriate around kids :-\

Seems like all you need to add something to spread the power, a laser to melt it, and a laser-opaque enclosure to keep Bre's fingers out of the way. You've got a Printrbot to help make all the working bits.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to Forum talk