I think the forum should have a How to or Guide catagory

Discussions about the forum. How to expand and enhance it.

Postby YellowGTO » 2014-May-Mon-07-May

Hey guys, I really like a how to or guide section for software and hardware sections. That way we can have a nice section for guide that doesn't get cluttered up with other topics.

YellowGTO
Printing skirt...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: I think the forum should have a How to or Guide catagory

Postby killbox » 2014-May-Mon-18-May

that would be a Wiki, printrbot has one (top right hand corner next to the search bar) but it is out of date or not used, if you want a how to push people to help re-write/update it

Redesigned JonBot printed in XT and reinforced with MDF over structure
Ramps 1.4
LCD
E3D V6
8x8 Hotbed
smoothieboard
*Coming soon* Rocking duel exturders
killbox
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-May-Mon-19-May

I agree that a Wiki is the right place for how to guides.

And I've put in my two cents: the section on Firmware Updating is recent, and is getting used. I wrote it only after walking the path myself as a newbie. I think that's important: Wiki entries need to be written when the experience is fresh.

But it is hard to keep things up to date. Printrbot changes their product lineup or product designs every two or three months.

C'mon people, volunteer to add to the Wiki! Keep it alive and up to date!

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby MrWasabi » 2014-May-Tue-08-May

The problem with Wikis is that they are often cumbersome to write specially for someone who has never made a page before and they have to go through the whole process of learning that also.
Forums are easier to post stepped instructions with embedded images and linked videos and can be done by almost everyone here.
We have a wiki at work (IT) and no one uses it, its constantly being pushed but we all default to writing and looking up word documents in a folder structure.

In saying that, there are some great threads in this forum with a lot of helpful advise, but no one takes the time to write a how to thread to sum it all up. Auto bed level thread is a good example, excellent collaboration between a few forum members and problems were solved and the thread evolved, but it is buried in a sea of posts which are not relevant or were just questions.

As you say RetireeJay, Printrbot are constantly changing their lineup, the auto bed level thread is now almost completely irrelevant as you can download new firmware which supports it. Asking people to take time out of their day to learn to write a Wiki and spend hours writing a document which will be ignored in a couple of months doesn't seem that appealing. Yes there are things which are constant throughout the lineup, and this sort of thing needs to be in some sort of "how to", but i think what is being asked here, is a section where we can write a quick and nasty short how-to that may be buried in a couple of months but thats ok because i spent less time writing it than this post. If this is the case, i would suggest that instead of a new sub forum, maybe post tags can be implemented to tag a post with [HOWTO], this way it can be searched for explicitly in the forums search engine.

MrWasabi
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby plexus » 2014-May-Tue-12-May

I nominate you MrWasabi to write as many how to posts in the forum as you want. in fact if you want me to create your own separate forum that no one else can post to where we can hold your how to posts, im all for it. let me know what you need to get started

plexus
Site Admin

Postby MrWasabi » 2014-May-Tue-16-May

Haha, nice one. I am happy to write a how to when i have something to write, up until now, ive been reading more than writing about this subject, but if i have something to share, i would share it. Also i wasnt agreeing to another sub forum, i simply offered an alternative

MrWasabi

Postby YellowGTO » 2014-May-Wed-09-May

Im going to have to agree with MrWasabi. Wikis are awesome, but as a collaborative community the wiki Glossary/Summery linked to threads with technical information seems best. At the least can we get a better wiki logo :) been using this site since Dec and never noticed it.

YellowGTO
Printing skirt...

Postby plexus » 2014-May-Wed-11-May

YellowGTO wrote:Im going to have to agree with MrWasabi. Wikis are awesome, but as a collaborative community the wiki Glossary/Summery linked to threads with technical information seems best. At the least can we get a better wiki logo :) been using this site since Dec and never noticed it.

This forum is running on phpBB which is not the easiest thing to deal with if you aren't a php coder (which I am not). but i agree with you about the logo for the wiki etc. let me think about it. i try and work with the forum code as little as possible for 2 reasons: 1) its not easy and 2) i don't want to risk taking the forum offline. the latter is a real risk because I find phpBB to be sensitive. but related to the former point, I also don't entirely know what I am doing with php. so that increases the risk of the latter point. :)

"If it isn't broken, don't fix it."

plexus
Site Admin

Postby MrWasabi » 2014-May-Wed-21-May

Not sure who runs the domain for you, where its all hosted or anything but typically you can make a copy of the databases and code and run it parallel to this site, so you can test changes in the "lab" and then implement them into production.
Don't ask me how to set this up, i just know its possible. I haven't played with PHPBB since its 2.0 days and im not into coding any more

MrWasabi

Postby plexus » 2014-May-Thu-11-May

MrWasabi wrote:Not sure who runs the domain for you, where its all hosted or anything but typically you can make a copy of the databases and code and run it parallel to this site, so you can test changes in the "lab" and then implement them into production.
Don't ask me how to set this up, i just know its possible. I haven't played with PHPBB since its 2.0 days and im not into coding any more

With phpBB that is much much easier said than done. unless you are a php coder.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby killbox » 2014-May-Thu-13-May

I'd be willing to put some time in to create a how-to sub forum. but i would also like to ask people to PM things that they have found to be relevant to the topic of how-to. but i think it would turn into a starters ghulid with set up and other information on basic mods and such. I would be dealing with mostly hardware issues and slic3r issues seen as only use slic3r. the rest i couldn't speak on

Redesigned JonBot printed in XT and reinforced with MDF over structure
Ramps 1.4
LCD
E3D V6
8x8 Hotbed
smoothieboard
*Coming soon* Rocking duel exturders
killbox
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-May-Thu-13-May

How about the approach I used in this post? viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7033

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Return to Forum talk