What's up with all the bot accounts?

Discussions about the forum. How to expand and enhance it.

Postby Mochaboy » 2013-Aug-Mon-02-Aug

At first it those intermittment non sensical posts were cute, but now these bot accounts are starting to respond to other people's posts.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4818

What's the story with those accounts, do we know where they're originating from? And are we insta banning them as we find and report them?

More importantly do I need to be worried about my account information being compromised?

Octoprint + Raspberry Pi Wireless Printer Server
Printrbot Jr born 6/13
Brass M8 Threaded Z Rod
Tool less belt tensioners
Aluminum print plate
GT2 Timing Belt and 20T aluminum pulleys

Build log & Mods
Mochaboy
Print winner 1st
Print winner 1st

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: What's up with all the bot accounts?

Postby RetireeJay » 2013-Aug-Mon-11-Aug

Mochaboy wrote:What's the story with those accounts, do we know where they're originating from? And are we insta banning them as we find and report them?

I don't have the full story - probably no one ever will - but Plexus has now given me permission, along with the other moderators, to delete spam posts and ban individual spammers. It's a job that Plexus and all the other moderators have been doing all along. There's a long, long list of banned users - so it's just a fact of life that on a forum that's "open" to visitors you will have bot spammers intruding. The moderator's job is to keep it cleaned up as efficiently as possible. But we're volunteers and don't live on the forum 24 / 7.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby mdfast1 » 2013-Aug-Mon-12-Aug

We ban and delete as fast as we see them. Your account security is safe, although, this site as with many other forums is hosted privately, I would assume you used a different username and password then your banking and email. :)

This is why you see all the restrictions on the site (minimum post length), new user's can't post links. We are trying to minimize bot impact.

Printrbot Simple Metal - RED -
UBIS 13

Printrbot LC+ - Operational

Printrbot Original- Donated
GT2 - 20 Tooth Pulleys
GT2 Belts
Brass Threaded Rods
Spur Gears from drawcut
.35mm nozzle
mdfast1
Layer 650 of 1234

Postby Mooselake » 2013-Aug-Mon-16-Aug

They're not bots, in the automatic robot sense. Spam for hire organizations hire actual people in low pay third world countries to sign up and spam forums. They seem to interact because they do, they'll read a few posts to gain some superficial knowledge and then generate a kinda on topic post.

It's like playing whack-a-mole. Whack one and two more pop up somewhere else.

Flag any suspicious posts (and thanks if you already are; it really helps) and somebody'll look at them. Just remember that there's also non-native English speakers and people with less developed writing skills, so not all of the poorly worded posts are spam.

I've been a bit lax in my anti-spam duties lately. I had a knee replaced a few weeks ago, with some minor complications, probably because the implant was CNC machined instead of 3D printed. The pain meds and only having access to a tablet mean I'm not keeping up. Hopefully it'll only be a few more weeks.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby plexus » 2013-Aug-Mon-16-Aug

Mooselake wrote:They're not bots, in the automatic robot sense. Spam for hire organizations hire actual people in low pay third world countries to sign up and spam forums. They seem to interact because they do, they'll read a few posts to gain some superficial knowledge and then generate a kinda on topic post.

It's like playing whack-a-mole. Whack one and two more pop up somewhere else.

Flag any suspicious posts (and thanks if you already are; it really helps) and somebody'll look at them. Just remember that there's also non-native English speakers and people with less developed writing skills, so not all of the poorly worded posts are spam.

I've been a bit lax in my anti-spam duties lately. I had a knee replaced a few weeks ago, with some minor complications, probably because the implant was CNC machined instead of 3D printed. The pain meds and only having access to a tablet mean I'm not keeping up. Hopefully it'll only be a few more weeks.

Kirk

You're a moose. you have 4 knees, at least. surely you can function on only 3?? the moose up here can.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby Mooselake » 2013-Aug-Mon-16-Aug

Canadian moose are tougher!

It's a balance thing, can't make it around the corners and down the stairs on three legs. Moose on narcotics are a bit stranger than usual, too.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to Forum talk