Too many threads that address simple problems badly.

Discussions about the forum. How to expand and enhance it.

Postby Bats1939 » 2013-Jul-Sat-23-Jul

Can I point out that a lot of threads about "simple" problems are handled with "there's a lot of threads on X, I suggest you search." And when you search for X you just get all those threads instead of the relevant ones that will answer the damn question? I have been chasing the answer to how I clean my nozzle for a few hours now, finally found a thread that sounds like it'll describe it and it ended with, "I suggest you look for a thread that talks about changing the nozzle."

Which I still can't find a thread on.

"Sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle" is just as frustrating now as it ever was. Can we get some more newbie problem stickies without resorting to acting out the IT Crowd?

Bats1939
Loading filament...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Too many threads that address simple problems badly.

Postby SilverFingers » 2013-Jul-Sun-00-Jul

Yeah I know. I wish there was better/faster customer support sometimes. I still can't find out how to print from my damn SD Card.

Btw to clean your nozzle I'm pretty sure you unscrew it and soak it in acetone for a few hours. I thought mine was clogged but it was only the extruder, so check that too.

Click HERE to help me win a free 3D Printer!

Printrbot Jr v1
Bowden Extruder
M8 threaded rod
Heated Bed
Lots of mods

Printrbot Rules! :D
SilverFingers
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby Mooselake » 2013-Jul-Mon-09-Jul

Bats1939 wrote:Can I point out that a lot of threads about "simple" problems are handled with "there's a lot of threads on X, I suggest you search." And when you search for X you just get all those threads instead of the relevant ones that will answer the damn question?

If you click on "Advanced search", under the search box in the upper right corner of this screen, you can find how to include and exclude words from the search;
Place + in front of a word which must be found and - in front of a word which must not be found. Put a list of words separated by | into brackets if only one of the words must be found. Use * as a wildcard for partial matches.

Bats1939 wrote: I have been chasing the answer to how I clean my nozzle for a few hours now, finally found a thread that sounds like it'll describe it and it ended with, "I suggest you look for a thread that talks about changing the nozzle."

Which I still can't find a thread on.

Right here. I searched the forum... Admittedly I cheated a bit, tried looking for swapping after changing didn't work out. Some days you need to work on your search-fu.

Bats1939 wrote:"Sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle" is just as frustrating now as it ever was. Can we get some more newbie problem stickies without resorting to acting out the IT Crowd?

This is all volunteer help, except for the occasional Printrbot employee that drops by (or in David's case monitors a contact Printrbot subforum). Insults won't encourage anybody to offer help. If you look at it from the other side, the exact same questions get asked over and over, and they've been answered many times.

That said, you make a good point, in that the "search the forum" posts are drowning out the answers. Try adding "-search" to your searches and see if that helps. A lot of the repeated questions should be in the Wiki, but it's a lot of work to make a good Wiki entry, so the Wiki's not getting the attention it deserves. Perhaps, once you figure it out take some before/during/after pictures and write something up - or at least take and post the pictures in the forum.

Nozzle cleaning: warm it up, remove it, dig out the crud (try something that won't damage it, like a toothpick) while it's still soft. I use a welding tip cleaner from the bottom on difficult plugs, but you can enlarge your nozzle if you're not careful. Stiff sewing needle from the thread side can help, also be careful. If you're using ABS soak the nozzle in acetone; won't work on PLA. Search the forum, or go check out forums.reprap.org if you want to find out about PLA solvents.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2013-Jul-Mon-09-Jul

SilverFingers wrote:Yeah I know. I wish there was better/faster customer support sometimes.

You should address that issue with Printrbot.com, As said above this is a volunteer unofficial forum with no connection to the guys that took your money, started because said guys don't have better/faster customer support. David@Printrbot excepted with his official support subforum.

SilverFingers wrote:I still can't find out how to print from my damn SD Card.

Go look at your other topic.

SilverFingers wrote:Btw to clean your nozzle I'm pretty sure you unscrew it and soak it in acetone for a few hours. I thought mine was clogged but it was only the extruder, so check that too.

See above, acetone only works with ABS, not PLA. Like has been said before, with the nozzle off and the extruder up to temp, extrude some filament (more than the length of the nozzle, about 50-60mm) to push the crud through the hot end. Back out the filament and clean off the hobbed bolt teeth if needed.

Lots of info on forums.reprap.org too, not Printrbot specific but most reprap printers have the same issues.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby plexus » 2013-Jul-Mon-10-Jul

Mooselake +1

This the nature of a forum. it has its pros and cons. the pros seems to outweigh the cons. there is also a wiki that you are encouraged to contribute to as well as printrbot's support site.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby Bats1939 » 2013-Jul-Mon-17-Jul

I didn't think to do -search, that's a good idea.

I managed to get the nozzle off. All I wanted to know, which was in that thread thanks!, is whether or not I would be damaging the wires or assembly if I removed it, and where to grab it with my wrench since only the nozzle is visible under the red jacket. Sadly, the jam seems to be in the upper part of the extruder, about 45mm above the nozzle. I can't figure out how to take the extruder off to work on it tho. My printrbot is pre-assembled, so the thought of taking it apart scares the crap out of me. I've broken enough important things to be more cautious and get as much information as possible on the problem before attacking it with a wrench.

What we did on another forum I'm on was the mods asked people to submit the threads that were most helpful for them when they first started the hobby. Then the mods checked out the threads and made a master stickied thread with all the information. If nothing else it helps you get used to the lingo so you knew what to search for... and there was a drop in the number of people trying to draw on their doll's faces with sharpie markers. Our forum is all volunteer too, with about 30,000 registered users, 10,000 active users and only 10 volunteer mods. Thankfully everyone's pretty helpful.

And I know the pain of getting asked the same questions over and over again. I'm one of a handful of people in the states that makes a certain type of doll and posts tutorials and help for it. I think I get "but how do I start?" questions at least once or twice a week... which is why I made a FAQ on my webpage that address those exact questions that I don't want to answer anymore. Sometimes searches just aren't intuitive, especially if you're not sure where to start.

Bats1939
Loading filament...

Postby Mooselake » 2013-Jul-Mon-19-Jul

Bats1939 wrote:I didn't think to do -search, that's a good idea.

I managed to get the nozzle off. All I wanted to know, which was in that thread thanks!, is whether or not I would be damaging the wires or assembly if I removed it, and where to grab it with my wrench since only the nozzle is visible under the red jacket. Sadly, the jam seems to be in the upper part of the extruder, about 45mm above the nozzle. I can't figure out how to take the extruder off to work on it tho. My printrbot is pre-assembled, so the thought of taking it apart scares the crap out of me. I've broken enough important things to be more cautious and get as much information as possible on the problem before attacking it with a wrench.

If the jam is inside the heated part of the extruder, try the extrude without a nozzle technique and see if that clears it. If it's between the hobbed bolt and hot end (this isn't 1.75mm filament, is it?) remove the long screws with the springs, flip the bearing back, and try tweezers or something similar (like long thin pointy needlenose pliers). There's several fixes in the forum for this problem with 1.75mm filament, the drinking straw mod, and one that uses 4mm id ptfe tubing instead of the straw. The smaller filament isn't quite stiff enough to always handle the gap between the hobbed bolt and hot end.

If it's the new direct drive extruder (the one without the big, usually black, drive gear), I haven't seen one and can't comment. Post some pictures of the jam. Attach them (click full editor if no upload attachment tab below the edit box) to your post, no URLs or "too spammy" errors needed.

Good move to be cautious taking the extruder off; it's been broken that way. with luck, no removal is necessary.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Bats1939 » 2013-Jul-Mon-19-Jul

Thank you!

I didn't know the springs moved back and could open the top like that. I've seen threads where the top was off, but I'd never seen anyone move the little toast backwards to open the top. I figured it out about the same time you posted this, and sure enough, there was a length stuck inside there. viewtopic.php?f=70&t=4401 you can see the result i was getting before, where it was just taking bites out of the filament, but not going anywhere.

thanks again for your help and listening to me complain.

Bats1939
Loading filament...

Postby allanonmage » 2013-Jul-Tue-09-Jul

I've had mixed success with the reprap IRC channel. (freenode #reprap) If you can get anyone's attention, they might offer some advice.

Am I the only person that doesn't use IRC all the time though?? LMAO

Started with a Printrbot LC Kit; now it's a monster as big as a mid size fridge!
Single ATX Power supply, 650 watts, relay controlled heat bed
extra Z height (3+ ft) via longer rods, but I don't use it. Yet. To reduce wobble, I'm using thing:46082 under the Printrbot.
Dual heated beds, 1 currently working; space for a 3rd
Purple gluestick on glass seems to be sticky enough to get adhesion
FB album with pics: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... ec287e8726

This was supposed to be a tool, not a series of projects... grrrrr......
allanonmage
Layer 100 of 1234

Postby RetireeJay » 2013-Jul-Tue-09-Jul

What's IRC? (joking; I actually know, but in practice I never use it)

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby allanonmage » 2013-Jul-Tue-09-Jul

I know right?

Everytime i come across support via IRC I'm like "ugh whobactually uses IRC? Didnt that die already?"

Started with a Printrbot LC Kit; now it's a monster as big as a mid size fridge!
Single ATX Power supply, 650 watts, relay controlled heat bed
extra Z height (3+ ft) via longer rods, but I don't use it. Yet. To reduce wobble, I'm using thing:46082 under the Printrbot.
Dual heated beds, 1 currently working; space for a 3rd
Purple gluestick on glass seems to be sticky enough to get adhesion
FB album with pics: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... ec287e8726

This was supposed to be a tool, not a series of projects... grrrrr......
allanonmage
Layer 100 of 1234

Postby Mooselake » 2013-Jul-Tue-13-Jul

allanonmage wrote:Everytime i come across support via IRC I'm like "ugh who actually uses IRC? Didnt that die already?"

Nah, it got left to the hardcore users. The casual ones moved to IM, no clue where they moved to from there.

IRC seems more like snap answers if somebody will pay attention, forums tend more to replies with a bit of thought first. Kinda like the news, the more removed the better the chance <ducks> it's more right. Exceptions abound, of course.

Back in the dial days I ran a regional ISP - if anything went bad the chatters were the first to call, it was always our fault, they had to have it back RIGHT NOW, and they were mean and nasty about it. Had a few users that lost their jobs and family because they were addicted. Made me lose any interest in trying IRC.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to Forum talk