Would you like to have separate forums for specific models?

Discussions about the forum. How to expand and enhance it.

Would you prefer separate forums for each model?

Poll ended at 2013-Aug-Fri-15-Aug

Yes
65%
No
29%
Don't care
6%

Total votes : 49

Postby plexus » 2013-Jul-Wed-15-Jul

I have been thinking that you might want to have the sections you see on the main page, grouped for specific models. so you'd see forums for the various PB models (eg. JR, LC, Plus, Simple) and in each would be a separate Software, Hardware, etc forum and sub-forums.

This would be a lot of work to do so even if the voting is skewed to Yes, no promises it will happen any time soon. I just want to see what you'd prefer.

There are pros and cons to each kind of arrangement. for example a con to organizing my model is that you'd likely have less people helping you depending on the model and issues/experiences that are common to all models would be buried in specific model forums.

plexus
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Would you like to have separate forums for specific mode

Postby drawcut » 2013-Jul-Wed-18-Jul

I voted no because IMO this leads to too much fragmentation. Seems to already be an issue with the simple. While it's very helpful for folks to state (sig line is a good place for this) their PB model when asking for help, overall our similarities outweigh the differences.

Printrbot original. Major mods: Y axis extended to ~8", Z extended to ~8.5". 5mm SS Z threaded rods w/ flex couplings. E3D hotend. Purchased Acetel gears. Glass bed with Elmers' purple glue stick for most prints. Top of Z axis rods have added cross structure similar to a Prusia i3.
drawcut
ACME leadscrew

Postby plexus » 2013-Jul-Wed-20-Jul

I'd like to see more people vote. if it ends up being NO, do you think we should fold the Simple forum posts into the other related forums?

FYI the Simple section was created for PBHQ so they could monitor the simple beta and then make mods based on feedback.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby lucassaugen » 2013-Jul-Wed-21-Jul

I say yes.

In my world you'd have a hardware spot for each model and then a software for everyone since they overlap a ton, one for each of the different types of extruders. LCD panel would have it's own, etc...

This way I can watch only those forums that are specific for me and can ignore all the extra noise.

lucassaugen
Loading filament...

Postby Mochaboy » 2013-Jul-Wed-21-Jul

== Top ===
News and Announcements
Introduce Yourself
General ( open forum for all things 3d printer related )

== Models ==
Noob lounge
LC & Plus
Jr
Simple
Troubleshooting

== Projects ==

== Hardware ==

== Software ==

* I do believe it makes sense for categories dedicated to each model. I had to sift through 3 categories which is marginally better than having to sift through all them
* I think you can consolidate all the troubleshooting sections into 1 forum - it makes it easier to search for stuff by limiting troubleshooting searches to just one category.
* I've always liked the welcome/introduce yourself threads front and center (well top anyway), I find those are the most visited threads for some odd reason

Think about the average user base...you have:
a) the casual browser maybe someone interested in printrbot
b) the new builder - bought a kit - is asking - "now what?"
c) the seasoned builders - always on the prowl for news about new projects, mods, hardware
d) printrbot ninjas - they're everywhere all at the same time

Not much you can do for a) since this is a forum and not a CMS
For b) you have to make it as simple to find the relevant information they're looking for, and it's always setup related, or troubleshooting
For c) they're looking for news and to see what other people are working, maybe help the new guys
For d) they read every post so organization doesn't matter

When you get as big as cnczone - you can have 5000 categories, but it makes sense early on to trim away the categories that lie fallow and use that real estate as best you can.

Anyway to your immediate question - yes...but I'd like to offer that some consolidation would be nice too :)

Octoprint + Raspberry Pi Wireless Printer Server
Printrbot Jr born 6/13
Brass M8 Threaded Z Rod
Tool less belt tensioners
Aluminum print plate
GT2 Timing Belt and 20T aluminum pulleys

Build log & Mods
Mochaboy
Print winner 1st
Print winner 1st

Postby ei8htohms » 2013-Jul-Wed-22-Jul

Agree with the hybrid idea: model specific hardware forums but general forums for the other stuff.

Printrbot GO v.1 - steampunk
Auto bed compensation via endstop wired bed mounts
Thrust bearings and Oldham couplers for the
8mm Igus trapezoidal leadscrews w/
Igus DryLin nuts
PB LCD/encoder
GT2 belts
X and Y motors upgraded to Kysans
Twin 30mm fans

http://ei8htohms.tinyparts.net
ei8htohms
ACME leadscrew

Postby halley » 2013-Jul-Thu-05-Jul

Doesn't really matter to me, one way or the other. The ONLY way I browse the forum (and most forums) is by clicking "View active topics" across the board. I do wish that people could specify their printer model(s) in their profile, and that it would always show up with their avatar, but 90% of people on forums never touch their profile settings.

halley
ACME leadscrew

Postby cobradoc » 2013-Jul-Thu-07-Jul

The OCD side of me says 'yes' and realizes there is a lot of work involved in organizing and moderating forums...but the reader side has 'no' preference. I read based on 'all unread posts' in the tapatalk app.

cobradoc
Loading filament...

Postby RetireeJay » 2013-Jul-Thu-08-Jul

halley wrote:The ONLY way I browse the forum (and most forums) is by clicking "View active topics" across the board. I do wish that people could specify their printer model(s) in their profile, and that it would always show up with their avatar, but 90% of people on forums never touch their profile settings.

Ditto

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby mrsamnc » 2013-Jul-Thu-09-Jul

RetireeJay wrote:
halley wrote:The ONLY way I browse the forum (and most forums) is by clicking "View active topics" across the board. I do wish that people could specify their printer model(s) in their profile, and that it would always show up with their avatar, but 90% of people on forums never touch their profile settings.

Ditto

Ditto Ditto :lol:

I just added my model info to my signature line. Which seems to be the universal area in forums across the internet.

In regards to splitting or not, it would really help to have a place for fellow model members to "meet" and chat on topics specific to the model. As a newbie, it's taken me some time to decipher thread titles and most never mention model. In addition, the varying abbreviations for the models makes searching that much harder (assuming they mention the model). For example: Printrbot Jr. | Printrbot Jr | PBJR | Jr

Printrbot Jr. - July 2013 Model | Heated Bed | Brass M8 Rod | GT2 Pulley/Belt | Tool Less Belt Tensioners - by Mochaboy | Jr. Printr Cup

My Build/Mod Log
mrsamnc
Solid infill...

Postby ahaer » 2013-Jul-Thu-09-Jul

I vote a conditional yes. But it only make sense to do if there is a way to actually use the groupings with the search and view unread/unanswered functions...

The problem with those functions is that they work on the whole board and its not clear what section a topic is from until you go and read it. I've seen many posts that say "oops, I didn't realize you were asking about the Simple"

Original PrintrBot Simple Beta Owner, upgraded to V2 with
- 360mm GT2 belt-driven X axis (thing:215294 + thing:24061)
- 160mm GT2 belt-driven Y axis (thing:229854)
- 360mm x 160mm bed for GT2 belt-driven X axis (thing:240601)
- 160mm Z axis (thing:215625)
- LED light ring and 40mm fan mount (thing:217224)
Created second printer from Makers kit 1405 upgrade and spare parts with
- Aluminum Extrunder V1, UBIS 13S hot end
- 190mm metal bed
- 160mm z travel
- 1U PC Power supply
ahaer
Solid infill...

Postby wd5gnr » 2013-Jul-Thu-10-Jul

I don't know the phpBB software or whatever this board is running but it would be nice if you could tag your post and then filter by tags. That would be the best of both worlds. Have a hardware forum and I could say "only show me the ones that are marked ALL, PBPLUS, PBPLUSV2. That also wouldn't be a big reorg. The Ubuntu forums work like this but it does mean the users have to tag posts (or the mods have to which is a lot of work).

Al Williams
Twitter: @awce_com
FB: http://www.facebook.com/Understanding3dPrinting
wd5gnr
Support material...

Postby Mochaboy » 2013-Jul-Thu-16-Jul

Just leaving random feed back here...

I click on these links in the following order

View My Posts
View new posts
View unanswered posts

Then active topics...

So yeah structure nice for browsing but I end up clicking those 3 links the most.

Octoprint + Raspberry Pi Wireless Printer Server
Printrbot Jr born 6/13
Brass M8 Threaded Z Rod
Tool less belt tensioners
Aluminum print plate
GT2 Timing Belt and 20T aluminum pulleys

Build log & Mods
Mochaboy
Print winner 1st
Print winner 1st

Postby Bob-StPaul » 2013-Jul-Thu-18-Jul

I submitted a weak yes - there are things that are specific to each model and having a section for each model makes a lot of sense....except that most troubleshooting is relevant to all models, even if it seems to be specific to one model, the issue is often more generic (flexing/lack of rigidity may seem to be model specific but is really a generic issue all printers have to face...) Still- especially when building and first learning how to use my model - it would have been nice to have a model specific section.

I have learned a great deal about printer design and operation by reading about the problems people have with models other then the one I own.

My printer:
Printrbot JR w/ fan and metric threaded rods.
Bob-StPaul
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby jocphone » 2013-Jul-Fri-21-Jul

As only an occasional visitor, and someone who joined when I entered the Simple Beta, I only really visit the Simple section of the forums.

Realise this is probably limiting my knowledge, but it stops me getting confused and I like to see what other people achieve with the same printer.

And no I'm not jealous of people who can print larger than a Rubik's cube :mrgreen:

jocphone
Levelling print bed...

Postby wd5gnr » 2013-Jul-Sat-08-Jul

Just to follow up (and, again, I don't know what I'm talking about), something like this:

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=1435045 (gone?)

http://www.nanothree.net/2010/phpbb3-topic-tagging/ (not active but discussion at https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2104659)

Speaking of which -- I know I've said it before, but I haven't lately -- thanks for running this place Plexus! What would we do without it?

Al Williams
Twitter: @awce_com
FB: http://www.facebook.com/Understanding3dPrinting
wd5gnr
Support material...

Postby KDog » 2013-Jul-Thu-19-Jul

I voted yes...

I'd like to recommend that there be a subforum for the original printrbot as well. There seems to be lots of folks still running theirs and printing them out.

Cheers,

KDog

Printrbot Metal Simple
Printrbot Original (printed on a PBJ)
Dec. 2013 ..... Kossel PRO (still waiting for it to arrive!!!)
KDog
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby Extrude3D » 2013-Jul-Sat-07-Jul

Yes, the one of the simple is great and I'd like one for every PB:

>Simple
>GO
>Plastic Printrbot
>Printrbot LC
>Printrbot Plus
>Printrbot JR

3dpaftermarket
Extrude3D

Postby REPRAP SQUAD » 2013-Jul-Sat-11-Jul

Definitely yes. Some things are specific to model and some are not. It would most likely cut down on people asking questions that have already been answered. It would make searching for specific issues easier.

Twitter: @REPRAPSQUAD
Check it out: Build logs, 3D printer news and all things Printrbot--http://reprapsquad.wordpress.com
PC Case Mods 3D printed:
http://www.enviousmods.com

RepRap Squad's The 1st Simple (XL)
* Custom built that towers over the LC

Printrbot Plus V2 W/
*Dual extruder PB Version (2-Ubis 1.75mm hotends)
*Heavily Modded and all axis extended
REPRAP SQUAD
Metal hotbed butt

Postby RetireeJay » 2013-Jul-Sat-16-Jul

Honestly, the Simple is the only one that is so different that it has a whole galaxy of truly unique opportunities and problems.

Looking at the mechanics, the only other really meaningful breakdown is between ones with heated beds and ones without.

But looking at questions & problems found on the Forum gives another perspective:

The most common noob questions relate to getting the software set up, which is common to all of them.

Next in line are extruder problems, also common to all the Printrbots. Although extruders are differentiating into Wade, Direct Drive, and Bowden, these families don't correlate directly with the Printrbot model.

Next in line is adhesion to the bed, Z clearance, bed leveling and the like... which are common to all models.

<Soapbox> I think it would be COUNTER-PRODUCTIVE to create separate forums by model when there are so many questions that are in common. It will make it HARDER, not easier, for people to find what they are looking for. </Soapbox>

When it comes to discussing correction of Simple Y sag, or the merits of particular PLA material, or finding out how far down the size scale you can go with Jerrill's nozzles, or how fast you can print - yes, these issues become more specific to particular printers or particular groups of printers.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby drawcut » 2013-Jul-Sun-08-Jul

I completely agree with RetireeJay here. Splitting out separate forums for each model will lead to more redundant questions, not fewer. While the more active users use the 'active topics' or 'new posts' features to read the forum, most new users will not and they will end up missing large amounts of posts that could help them.

I've seen this in other forums before. Splitting things into many subforums is expected to be helpful. What happens is the volume of posts in each new subforum ends up being very low and newer people start checking the forum less often. The long time users get tired of the redundant topics spread across the new subforums. It's a downward spiral from there: less posts - less viewing traffic. Trying to unsplit the forums is a lot of work and disruptive to the forum. This is how forums die.

Printrbot original. Major mods: Y axis extended to ~8", Z extended to ~8.5". 5mm SS Z threaded rods w/ flex couplings. E3D hotend. Purchased Acetel gears. Glass bed with Elmers' purple glue stick for most prints. Top of Z axis rods have added cross structure similar to a Prusia i3.
drawcut
ACME leadscrew

Postby rsilvers » 2013-Jul-Sun-15-Jul

I have fallen into only posting in the Simple section - even stuff that is relevant to other models.

I think it is time to eliminate the Simple forum and move the posts into the regular forum.

rsilvers
First blob a success!

Postby Nickies08 » 2013-Jul-Mon-16-Jul

I think there should be a happy medium between having a free for all info and a model specific setup. I mean calibration, software, materials and projects are things that are valuable for all models. However, Mechanical issues or upgrade talk for a simple is different from a Plus v2. If we had some model specific areas or at least a way to link topics to specific models then everyone would be better off.

Printrbot Plus V2.0
Aluminum bearing blocks
Aluminum Build Plate
Robotdigg custom Nema 17 motors with 500mm T8*8 Acme Rods on Z-axis (19" of print height)
Wire extensions to accommodate extra build height
GT2 Belts and Pulleys
Nickies08
Solid infill...

Postby hhabilis » 2013-Jul-Wed-05-Jul

I would say NO to having separate forums, although, it might be helpful for new people to find answers to problems.

hhabilis
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby David@Printrbot » 2013-Aug-Sat-22-Aug

I would say no for the time being as we may be discontinuing at least one or more of the bots in the near future.

Printrbot: Dominate Your Prints!
David@Printrbot
PBHQ Official

Postby DumpRun » 2013-Aug-Wed-10-Aug

David@Printrbot wrote:I would say no for the time being as we may be discontinuing at least one or more of the bots in the near future.

Would that not make it even more essential for there to be model specific forums? I would say obselete models should also have their own forums so that they can continue to provide and receive community support in an appropriate area. If you leave the older models behind, you will find that you will end up having a bunch of "old style Printrbot NEED HELP!" showing up in either the general, or the newer model-specific forums.

I, personally think that splitting up the forums into model specific orientations for the hardware, software, troubleshooting and mods sections is a great Idea! I'm on the fence about whether or not the "Showcase" should remain a universal section or not...

DumpRun

Postby plexus » 2013-Aug-Wed-13-Aug

Thanks for all your input. you all made good points.

There is significant effort in setting up separate model specific forums. the current structure seems to work for the most part. the idea would be to essentially copy the existing forum organization under a specific model, where it makes sense. the issue is this is a completely manual process. to give you an idea of what it would take, read on: create category "JR", under that create category "software", under that create forums "troubleshooting, usage, hack, etc", create category "hardware", under that forums "troubleshooting, mods, etc"... etc etc. for each model. its a completely manual process to do this.

so with that in mind, for now the forum will remain as-is. it would take a lot of tedious manual entry to create the model specific organization and the mods just don't have the time at the moment.

unless someone wants to step up to the plate.

then, there is the issue of existing posts and moving those to the new model specific forums... yikes.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby mdfast1 » 2013-Aug-Tue-14-Aug

plexus wrote:unless someone wants to step up to the plate.

I would be willing to go to bat as long as I'm not 100% alone up there. It certainly will be more work for the mods, not to mention all the up front moving of threads.

Plexus's if you want to do it, count me in.

Printrbot Simple Metal - RED -
UBIS 13

Printrbot LC+ - Operational

Printrbot Original- Donated
GT2 - 20 Tooth Pulleys
GT2 Belts
Brass Threaded Rods
Spur Gears from drawcut
.35mm nozzle
mdfast1
Layer 650 of 1234

Postby wonderbeauty » 2013-Nov-Mon-01-Nov

Yes, I like to have separate forums for specific models.

wonderbeauty

Postby maryA » 2013-Dec-Sun-17-Dec

Would like separate, accessible info organized by specific Printrbot product. Does not have to be a separate forum, but a format for information that searches by Product name. Data is organized by these product headings. There is soooo much info and so many questions asked that don't pertain to my printer/situation. Keep it simple. Thanks. ma

maryA

Postby maryA » 2013-Dec-Sun-17-Dec

Would like separate, accessible info organized by specific Printrbot product. Does not have to be a separate forum, but a format for information that searches by Product name and comments also organized by product headings. Thanks. (newbie)

maryA

Postby Juanjosegriego » 2014-Jan-Fri-21-Jan

I vote: No

I like ending up in threads dealing with printers other than the Prinrbot Simple (that I own). If the forum were sectioned off, we'd probably have redundancy and would definitely have more separation within the community. It may happen in the future, but I'm good with its feel right now.

Printrbot Simple ~Milkybot~
translucent white Lucite body
large motors
Juanjosegriego

Postby MrWasabi » 2014-Jan-Sat-02-Jan

Don't know if it has been suggested, but there is a phpbb addon you can install which lets you select from a drop down list when creating a new post , a category. These categories could be each different printer and this would make finding things for each specific printer easier, while still maintaining the combined forum and sharing in the common knowledge. I've looked after a few boards like this before and I can tell you that making things graniular down to each bot will increase redundant questions, make newbies lost, more work for mods, and some cross knowledge may be lost, for example, I wouldn't visit the simple forum if I own a plus, but there are some things that apply to the simple that would apply to the plus. I'm a newbie here but as I said I've worked with phpbb boards before, but each community is different I guess and I haven't really got to know the community here yet but thought I'd offer my 2 cents anyway

MrWasabi
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby mothy » 2014-Jan-Mon-14-Jan

We really need a "3d SCANNER" forum. I've been trying to get good information on scanning things using various hardware and software solutions.

mothy
Levelling print bed...

Postby nalby » 2014-Feb-Sun-11-Feb

I vote yes. It would make it easier to find specific printer info

nalby
Loading filament...

Postby praedor » 2014-Mar-Sun-01-Mar

mothy wrote:We really need a "3d SCANNER" forum. I've been trying to get good information on scanning things using various hardware and software solutions.

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this topic, I found this site you may find useful Mothy :- laserscanningforum com/

praedor
Levelling print bed...

Return to Forum talk