Pictures with or without scroll bars?

Discussions about the forum. How to expand and enhance it.

Postby RetireeJay » 2013-Jun-Wed-11-Jun

I have noticed that some people seem to be able to post pictures to the forum that show up without scroll bars whereas other postings do have scroll bars. Nobody has been able to give me an answer yet as to why or how to avoid the scroll bars. Usually pictures show up on screen with a limited width (they get scaled), but I seem to recall even seeing some pictures that were extra-wide without any horizontal scroll bar.

An interesting point about the pictures with no scroll bar is that when you move the mouse over the picture, the icon changes to a pointing hand: the picture can be clicked on to give you a magnified display. Pictures without scroll bars don't have that property; when you mouse over them the pointer remains an arrow and clicking on the picture does remove the scroll bars but does not open up a new window with a magnified display.

Sometimes even the very same user has pictures in each category, e.g. viewtopic.php?f=70&t=3948&p=26162#p26211

AlexC's pictures without the scroll bar are 800 X 600. So herewith I try three copies of one of my pictures using the same ratio, at 400 X 300, 800 X 600, and 1600 X 1200
SamplePic400X300.jpg

SamplePic800X600.jpg

SamplePic1600X1200.jpg

Egads! In my preview screen the 1600 X 1200 picture has no scroll bars and is live! The more I investigate this the more I don't understand it!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Pictures with or without scroll bars?

Postby PxT » 2013-Jun-Wed-12-Jun

It partially depends on the theme in use on the board. The default (only?) choice here is called prosilver which will start to add scroll-bars for image attachments taller than 350px.

phpBB itself also has some logic to create a thumbnail link for images greater than a certain size -- those are then placed inline with no scrollbars and linked to the full image. I'm not sure what the cutoff point is when that thumbnail process kicks in.

So the moral is either go big or go small. Middle sizes are more likely to get scrollers added.

PxT
Print complete...

Return to Forum talk