Do we want SEO?

Discussions about the forum. How to expand and enhance it.

Do we want SEO?

Postby plexus » 2012-Sep-Thu-17-Sep

I'd like this site to be SEO compliant. google does not pick up any posts off the site because the URLs are not "descriptive" which is a requirement by google SEO. to do this and in general make the forum SEO compliant so that it gets picked up by search engines will require some re-tooling of the scripts under the hood. I can do basic phpBB mods. I read through one of the better more common SEO mod directions and there is a lot there - there are many risks. any wrong move can kill the forum. although the database will remain intact it could take a bunch of time to rebuild the forum. I don't want to take the risk doing it myself. Nor do I want one of the registered members here to do it because if you mess it up, its dead. I won't bother to fix it, frankly.

I'd rather pay someone to do this. would you be willing to contribute to getting SEO on the site if it costs money? i think I can get a phpBB guru to do it for under $100. let me know what you think. if enough people are willing to contribute I'll move forward with it. just respond to the poll on this post.

I will run the poll for 2 weeks from now. don't tally up the votes and decide based on what the total is here because its not real money. just answer based on your feelings about it if we move forward with this.

Answering the poll is not a commitment. I just want to get a sense if there is enough member backing to make it happen.

plexus
Site Admin

Do we want SEO?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Do we want SEO?

Postby scantrontb » 2012-Sep-Thu-19-Sep

one question: is that a one-time cost, or a monthly fee? I'd assume (and hope) it would be a one time conversion cost and we'd be done with it, but gotta ask to be sure...

Don't planto mihi adveho illac
PB+ #786
scantrontb
Can update firmware

Postby eddiema » 2012-Sep-Thu-19-Sep

plexus wrote:I'd like this site to be SEO compliant. google does not pick up any posts off the site because the URLs are not "descriptive" which is a requirement by google SEO. to do this and in general make the forum SEO compliant so that it gets picked up by search engines will require some re-tooling of the scripts under the hood. I can do basic phpBB mods. I read through one of the better more common SEO mod directions and there is a lot there - there are many risks. any wrong move can kill the forum. although the database will remain intact it could take a bunch of time to rebuild the forum. I don't want to take the risk doing it myself. Nor do I want one of the registered members here to do it because if you mess it up, its dead. I won't bother to fix it, frankly.

I'd rather pay someone to do this. would you be willing to contribute to getting SEO on the site if it costs money? i think I can get a phpBB guru to do it for under $100. let me know what you think. if enough people are willing to contribute I'll move forward with it. just respond to the poll on this post.

I will run the poll for 2 weeks from now. don't tally up the votes and decide based on what the total is here because its not real money. just answer based on your feelings about it if we move forward with this.

Answering the poll is not a commitment. I just want to get a sense if there is enough member backing to make it happen.

Maybe you need two polls.
Saying you are willing to but in money implies you want it done and that may not be the case.
I don't really care if we are compliant. I also don't mind putting a few dollars towards it if you go ahead.
If the site is backed up there shouldn't be too much risk.
Personally I do complete site backups to hotfile - it did make life easier when I got hacked a month ago.

eddiema
Aluminum coupler brain

Postby plexus » 2012-Sep-Thu-19-Sep

scantrontb wrote:one question: is that a one-time cost, or a monthly fee? I'd assume (and hope) it would be a one time conversion cost and we'd be done with it, but gotta ask to be sure...

One time cost to get all the mods done to the scripts to get it so that all the posts get into google's search.

@eddiema i put a $0 in the poll in case anyone wanted to explicitly say "not interested".

its just a thought. it would make the forum more useful and get more people involved if the posts came up in google. i understand now why this isn't happening: mostly its because phpBB urls do not conform to what google wants. but there are other SEO issues that would be solved by this endevour. its not so much about being compliant as it is about having this content (the forum) in google search. you'd think it would be easy but its not.

as an aside, I do user experience design for a very large US company with a huge web site. we are constantly working on making our site SEO optimized as its a moving target. you might remember the days of meta tags? no more. meta tags got abused so google said nope, we are now going to ignore you meta tags. they are constantly trying to make google search as valuable for people as possible by making content providers (us) do the right thing and not try and manipulate how content show up in the search.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby CL1 » 2012-Sep-Thu-22-Sep

May want to start with explaining to those of us who have no clue what SEO means? Search Engine Optimised, maybe?? Just guessing, based on the thread posts.

CL1

CL1
Can update firmware

Postby knobunc » 2012-Sep-Fri-08-Sep

I _really_ don't think that is the problem. Yes I want google to scrape the site. But before we do that, I want to make sure that the boards show up.

Google happily scrapes other sites without "descriptive URLs". The only thing is that the google page rank prefers things with descriptive URLs, but that's not why we are being skipped.

Backer 216, Nov. 27, 2011. (PB+)
knobunc
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby plexus » 2012-Sep-Fri-09-Sep

SEO = search engine optimization. at the moment the post content of the forum is not available in google. google can not see the posts. my understanding this was because regular phpBB URLs do not make the google spider happy. but i am led to believe that its a permissions issue. so i am working with knobunc on that. if its just a matter of giving the google bot the right perms to get the content into google search, we should try that first and see how well the forum posts show up in a search. if they are buried then we can talk about SEO which would help to get the content further up the search results.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby CL1 » 2012-Sep-Fri-20-Sep

Thank you for the explanation, Plexus

CL1

CL1
Can update firmware

Postby lwalkera » 2012-Sep-Sat-01-Sep

Just saw the Things forum show up on my Google alert for Printrbot

Laine Walker-Avina
Printrbot Beta-tester and Printrboard Designer
lwalkera
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Do we want SEO?

Postby plexus » 2012-Sep-Sat-14-Sep

so google is now crawling the forum but so far it only seems to be getting the forum titles, none of the posts. i think this is where SEO comes into play. also i dont understand why when you search printrbottalk it shows all these stats sites. i wonder if this is something to do with the code that google makes you put in for analytics to work. other sites are grabbing that too and trying to make an ecommerce play on it. sigh.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby PxT » 2012-Sep-Sun-15-Sep

Google seems to be crawling the forums:
http://www.google.com/search?q=site:pri ... com/forum/
There are a bunch of results there that lead to individual threads.

You can submit a Sitemap to Google in order to give them better hints about what to index. There is a plugin available for phpBB that makes it easier to generate the Sitemap file. IMO, spending money on any type of "SEO" is pretty much wasted money. This stuff about "descriptive URLs" is something dreamed up by the SEO guys in order to get money. It's not a google requirement. It may help (or just as likely, may not) but it's not some magic fix.

Another big factor in your google page rank is based on how many external sites link in to this one. There don't seem to be (m)any:
http://www.google.com/search?q=link:printrbottalk.com
Not much you can do about that except encourage people to post/blog on their own site/facebook/twitter/etc. about good/useful threads that are found here. As long as it's not some kind of SPAMmy promotion then any incoming links will serve as a hint to google that there is content here that needs to be indexed.

PxT
Print complete...

Postby holmes4 » 2012-Sep-Sun-18-Sep

I agree with PxT - spending money is pointless. Page titles already include the title of the forum or thread -nothing more is needed. If you wanted to help SEO a bit, you could find a PHPbb add-on that included the thread/forum title in the URL. I know that does help.

Initially, you had something preventing search engine spiders from seeing threads and posts. I gather that is fixed now, so you should start showing up in indexes.

Steve
PB+ Backer 1402
holmes4
Bowden extruder

Postby plexus » 2012-Sep-Mon-13-Sep

OK it looks like google is snarfing up the posts now. whew. that's all I wanted. thanks to knobunc for helping fix this.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby Mooselake » 2012-Sep-Mon-13-Sep

Still willing to chuck in a few bucks. Looks like you need a new computer after the Coke incident - anybody here want to help out with that in exchange for all the time Plexus has put into this forum, if he promises to never put his soft (or hard) drinks in the same saddlebag?

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby mdfast1 » 2012-Sep-Mon-14-Sep

I would rather donate for plexus than SEO.

Printrbot Simple Metal - RED -
UBIS 13

Printrbot LC+ - Operational

Printrbot Original- Donated
GT2 - 20 Tooth Pulleys
GT2 Belts
Brass Threaded Rods
Spur Gears from drawcut
.35mm nozzle
mdfast1
Layer 650 of 1234

Postby plexus » 2012-Sep-Mon-14-Sep

no no please no donations. thanks very much for the offer! at the moment lets just keep money out of it.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby plexus » 2012-Sep-Sun-20-Sep

Just search in google "GT2 pulley 36 18" looking for suppliers and the first spot in the list was our forum!

Code: Select all
Printrbot Talk • View topic - GT2 Pulley Upgrade
www.printrbottalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t...Share
25 Aug 2012 – I'm currently designing a new Y bearing base using Gt2 36 teeth. ... to GT2 pulleys and belts I've bought two smaller 18T pulleys that have done ...
How to calibrate my printrbot?‎ - 7 Sep 2012
Z-axis no longer wants to move ...‎ - 4 Sep 2012
the output is "upside down" with y-axis‎ - 7 Aug 2012
Smaller Nozzels‎ - 6 Jul 2012

More results from printrbottalk.com »

plexus
Site Admin

Postby knobunc » 2012-Sep-Mon-11-Sep

Sweet!

Of course the spam is now picking up since we have better visibility. *sigh*.

knobunc

Postby plexus » 2012-Sep-Mon-12-Sep

knobunc wrote:Sweet!

Of course the spam is now picking up since we have better visibility. *sigh*.

If you see spam, please report the post. If a user spams the forum, we delete the post and permanently ban the user. Spam will not be tolerated.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby victoriaheden » 2012-Sep-Wed-04-Sep

Great stuff.... (deleted web address) is another resource for cost effective seo services. I surfed the web and found this site on web, so use it, it might be interesting to you.

Mod note: thanks for the link. it has been removed and kept for later use. we want to avoid possible spam on the site so posting links to non-3D printing related things is suspicious. but we will keep the link if we decide to use it later.

victoriaheden
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby holmes4 » 2012-Sep-Fri-19-Sep

That was another spammer, by the way. They search for threads mentioning their topic and put in a plug for their own service.

Steve
PB+ Backer 1402
holmes4
Bowden extruder

Postby knobunc » 2012-Sep-Fri-20-Sep

Definitely. Plexus is too nice... first post here, vague subject, has a link to something non bot related? Nuke it!

knobunc

Postby mdfast1 » 2012-Oct-Mon-14-Oct

Def. was a spammer.

Printrbot Simple Metal - RED -
UBIS 13

Printrbot LC+ - Operational

Printrbot Original- Donated
GT2 - 20 Tooth Pulleys
GT2 Belts
Brass Threaded Rods
Spur Gears from drawcut
.35mm nozzle
mdfast1
Layer 650 of 1234

Postby Elbot » 2012-Oct-Mon-12-Oct

I really don't think seo is necessary for your site. I mean, I found you as listed 1st in Google after typing "printrbot forum". I've done seo before for others and I'd say that your site is pretty darn good with regard to seo. I don't see how i can improve that.

Now, about the seo of your webpages, that's a tricky one because it has to be automated because there are too many new pages per day. The problem with automation is that google changes their algorithm periodically. Automation cannot anticipate changes. Therefore, it would have to be not a one time fee of $100 but a continuous "maintenance" where you pay a guy $100 every month.

A good cheap way to get your pages listed on google but not necessariy seo, is just have an automation script turn all your active server pages into html pages linked from your index page. At least all your most recent and/or most popular pages. That wouldn't be seo, but would at least be listing on se. A very simple script available for download and/or purchase should suffice for that. I don't think it's necessary, but if you really think you need it, seeing how you've answered our questions and I've even seen you mail a missing piece of a printrbot to a forum member when Brook ignored him, I'll spot you $5 so that 20 forum members each spotting $5 should total your needed $100 USD (I know you're a Canuck so I don't know if you're referring to USD or CAN D). Just let me know what you need and I'll help out.

Elbot
Loading filament...

Postby knobunc » 2012-Oct-Fri-13-Oct

The SEO problem has been resolved. The forum code makes a special user for the search bots, and by default they did not have permission to see the forums. Once that was resolved the site shot up in the google rankings.

knobunc

Postby halley » 2013-Feb-Tue-07-Feb

Spammer wrote:BRANDNAME is very important part of seo services. BRANDNAME uses proven SEO practices to achieve rankings and abides by industry standards, including: credible link building, relevant blog postings, trusted social bookmarking, and select directory submissions in order to build a consistent, customized SEO program for each and every customer.
<URL Removed> Track keyword ranking for free

Right on schedule. Now that we're open to searches, the forum needs to be hardened against spammers. Moderators can keep up with the flagged posts for a while, but it's annoying and always requires dedicated moderator activity. (The default post-flagging form is also not ideal.)

Other forums use a combination of captcha on posting, community-specific problem solving on signup, no URLs allowed on first few posts, and first posts requiring moderation to show up. It's a balancing act between "open and friendly" and "burdensome and annoying" to get anti-spam right.

* captcha: several industry standard types exist
* community-specific problem solving: "What's the name in the logo? p__nt_ot"
* no URLs allowed on first few posts: usually a forum software setting
* first posts requiring moderation: doesn't solve the moderation activity problem

Other ideas?

halley
ACME leadscrew

Postby marmil » 2013-Feb-Wed-23-Feb

halley wrote:...
* community-specific problem solving: "What's the name in the logo? p__nt_ot"

I always like those sort of challenges for registration.

"Most printers use pla or abs for printing. Some printers can use both. What letter is in both words?" __________
"One common type of filament is abs. What is the other common filament we can use?" __________
"The word filament is a funny word. Can you spell it for us here:" __________
"Leave this last space empty, but smile and then whisper '3D printers are exciting.' __________

I saw a forum recently that warned if you put a link in your first post, or your signature had one in your first post you were automatically banned. It sounded like they actually had a script that automatically took care of that so it didn't require any admin's time. How nice. 8-)

CG & 3D enthusiast • Printrbot+ Kickstarter backer • Mods: GT2 belts, custom aluminum y-carriage and print bed
marmil
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby thawkins » 2014-Feb-Sat-03-Feb

knobunc wrote:The SEO problem has been resolved. The forum code makes a special user for the search bots, and by default they did not have permission to see the forums. Once that was resolved the site shot up in the google rankings.

You should also consider creating a "site map" and registering it with google webmaster tools. Google then picks up the site map, which is an xml file, which lists all the latest topics and thier urls.

Activating an topic and comment rss feed and putting the auto discovery links into the pages helps too, google reads those.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby kuntalghosh » 2014-Apr-Thu-11-Apr

plexus wrote:I'd like this site to be SEO compliant. google does not pick up any posts off the site because the URLs are not "descriptive" which is a requirement by google SEO. to do this and in general make the forum SEO compliant so that it gets picked up by search engines will require some re-tooling of the scripts under the hood. I can do basic phpBB mods. I read through one of the better more common SEO mod directions and there is a lot there - there are many risks. any wrong move can kill the forum. although the database will remain intact it could take a bunch of time to rebuild the forum. I don't want to take the risk doing it myself. Nor do I want one of the registered members here to do it because if you mess it up, its dead. I won't bother to fix it, frankly.

I am a new blogger do you have any suggestion for me?

kuntalghosh
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Apr-Thu-12-Apr

kuntalghosh wrote:I am a new blogger do you have any suggestion for me?

Yes, I have a suggestion.

This forum is set up and maintained for people who have Printrbot brand 3D printers, or who use Printrbot parts or design concepts; it's also used by people who are thinking of buying a Printrbot printer. But it is not a "social media" blog. If you have a Printrbot printer or are interested in how they work, how to modify them, etc. then you are more than welcome to the forum.

If you do not have a Printrbot and you do not have any interest in 3D printing, then this is probably not the right forum for you.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Return to Forum talk