Forum traffic

Discussions about the forum. How to expand and enhance it.

Forum traffic

Postby plexus » 2016-Dec-Thu-17-Dec

Interesting to see the traffic here drop by 75% over the last 2 years. Thoughts?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
plexus
Site Admin

Forum traffic

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Forum traffic

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Dec-Thu-20-Dec

Does this measure how many "views" or how many "posts"? If I'm in an optimistic mood, I'd like to think that we've solved so many problems that visitor can get their questions answered without having to post new questions. But I know that's not anywhere near 100% of visitors!

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby musk » 2016-Dec-Thu-22-Dec

Site traffic is mimicking the stock price of Stratasys and 3d Systems over the same period.
https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=SSYS#symbol=SSYS;range=2y
https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=DDD#symbol=DDD;range=2y

- 2 years ago was a high water mark for interest in the technology.
- I'd bet that 95% of customers now buy factory assembled machines. If something goes wrong, people will be more likely to work directly with Printrbot since the machine should "just work".

Printrbot Metal Plus (2x)
Printrbot Simple Metal (2x)
musk
Solid infill...

Postby plexus » 2016-Dec-Fri-14-Dec

RetireeJay wrote:Does this measure how many "views" or how many "posts"? If I'm in an optimistic mood, I'd like to think that we've solved so many problems that visitor can get their questions answered without having to post new questions. But I know that's not anywhere near 100% of visitors!

This is total page views, Jay. If you want to see total posts, total registrations, etc let me know and I will generate and post them. Total veiws gives an over-all sense of site usage.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby teicher » 2016-Dec-Fri-21-Dec

Well, I think there are a handful of reasons that all play a role. You've got as printrbots official support forums, other 3d printing communities, the fact that 3D printing is still suffers from a lot of hype, and the simple reason that many people really don't have a use for it unless it's part of their job or they really like tinkering. Heck, I'll be the first to admit that I often found it more fun to struggle through getting the printer built, tuned and tweaked than to use the resulting plastic part. :)

teicher
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby olendorf » 2016-Dec-Sat-09-Dec

With the new Printrbot Simple costing $1299 expect to see this decline continue.

olendorf
Levelling print bed...

Postby KD6HQ » 2016-Dec-Sat-11-Dec

I think it is because of a combination of reasons. This particular forum generally deals with one specific family of printers.
So yes if one is willing to do a little research many questions have been answered.

I also think that the word has gotten out, these are not plug N play machines. No matter what the vendors want you to think.
I think a lot of people have backed out of because of it. Makes me wonder how many machines are in a closet somewhere.
I'm still around because I like to tinker.

In fact I'm working (ordering some parts, and reusing others) on a core XY machine right now, this will be my 3rd build.
My next machine I'm planning is a cnc type. So for me this technology will be around for a while.

I will say that this particular forum has been very helpful to me, more so than some of the others.

Thanks to everyone for that.

Printrbot Simple Makers Kit (1405) modified.
Core XYZ

It's all in the details!
KD6HQ
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby DonaldJ » 2016-Dec-Mon-12-Dec

plexus wrote:Interesting to see the traffic here drop by 75% over the last 2 years. Thoughts?

I would attribute it to Increased product reliability and, by now, most questions have been asked and answered. Upgrade options have become more limited, with the possible exception of heated print beds and maybe a different hot end (E3D).

It's been a very long time since I've had any questions or problems with my Kickstarter Plus and further upgrades are unlikely. But if I decide to add automatic bed leveling, WIFI, cameras, LCD screen, paste extruder, or other bells and whistles this forum will be my resource of choice.

DonaldJ
Support material...

Return to Forum talk