Printrbot Original

Discussions about the forum. How to expand and enhance it.

Printrbot Original

Postby Msmaster321 » 2016-Oct-Tue-13-Oct

Hey guys I'm new to the 3d printing world and this site. So long story short I bought a printrbot original the one from the 2011 kickstarter from a guy on eBay cause I thought it was a great deal and I wanted to get into 3d printing. When it arrived I had assembled it but it never came with a board i finally found a file for the board and ordered it through Ponoko, it should be coming in next week. Before that I had a temporary board that I cut and mounted the bed to it. I installed pronterface and cura for the g codes and I learned how to configure the steps per millimeter and everything but when I hit print the printer basically made a blob I found out that i need the newest software and when I looked in the github for printrbot there was not any thing that said for rev b boards. Can someone tell me where I can find the file and also where I can get the springs for leveling the bed. Thanks

Msmaster321
Levelling print bed...

Printrbot Original

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Printrbot Original

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Oct-Tue-21-Oct

The statement of your problem is a bit ambiguous, so maybe you can clarify... It's clear enough that you bought an un-assembled original Printrbot. Was it in its original packing, or had the original owner assembled it and then torn it down again for shipment? It seems you are saying there were parts missing (or maybe broken).

Msmaster321 wrote:When it arrived I had assembled it but it never came with a board i finally found a file for the board and ordered it through Ponoko

What is the "board" you are referring to? Ponoko doesn't seem to make electronics boards, so I guess you aren't referring to the Printrboard. Just a matter of words here, but mostly when people refer to the "board" they mean the Printrboard. Not complaining, just seeking clarification.

Msmaster321 wrote:when I hit print the printer basically made a blob I found out that i need the newest software

Why would you think that the firmware that came with the printer was non-functional? Exactly what did the printer do (and not do) when you told it to print? Even as a newbie, you can post a picture of the blob (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the post-editing box). It's pretty common for the first attempt to be a blob (hence the board topic "My First Blob") but that doesn't mean your software is defective; it may just be a matter of settings.

Msmaster321 wrote:when I looked in the github for printrbot there was not any thing that said for rev b boards

Most of the boards in use are Rev D or Rev F. AFIK, the only significant difference between Rev B and Rev D is that for Rev B you need a jumper on the "bootloader" pins to tell it to run the normal program, whereas on Rev D you need the jumper on the bootloader pins to tell it to run the bootloading program. Note that (at least on Rev D) a power-down, power-up cycle does NOT sense the presence or absence of the jumper; you must use the "reset" switch to make the board transition to the state demanded by the jumper. It defaults to "run the regular program" on power-up (at least on Rev D).

Springs are available in variety packs at your nearest big-box hardware store.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Re: Printrbot Original

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Oct-Tue-21-Oct

Blobs are traditional. There's even a first blob section of the forum to post pictures of them. Go take a look, particularly of the old entries.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to Forum talk