Where'd everybody go?

Discussions about the forum. How to expand and enhance it.

Where'd everybody go?

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Aug-Tue-12-Aug

The traffic here has slowed to a crawl. Where did people go? I just looked at the Printrbot.com Community site, and their forum has very few topics and very few users, so our Printrbottalk community didn't migrate there. Hmmm...

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Where'd everybody go?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Where'd everybody go?

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Aug-Tue-18-Aug

Fishing. It's the last vacation rush before school starts (not that it matters to we mature citizens), so everybody's outside enjoying the last hurrah

Caught a 3# smallmouth on my adventure to troll land (that's below the Mackinaw bridge for non Yoopers). plus a bunch of panfish that will live to fill a bigger pan (the alternative catch and release, rather than release to the frying pan). I did learn that a random kitchen knife makes for very poor filleting (the good ones were left home), and the new tackle box has a couple new Rapala's. My 20 year old reels needed a new home in the round receptacle, and bought a Micro 33 trigger spin and a Dock Demon (best $10 deal in quite a while) to replace the kayak tackle. Not as nice as the Shimano spinning reels on the longer rods, but more budget friendly.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Aug-Tue-18-Aug

Fishing. It's the last vacation rush before school starts (not that it matters to we mature citizens), so everybody's outside enjoying the last hurrah.

Caught a 3# smallmouth on my adventure to troll land (that's below the Mackinaw bridge for non Yoopers). plus a bunch of panfish that will live to fill a bigger pan (Moose practice catch and release to the frying pan). I did learn that a random kitchen knife makes for very poor filleting (the good ones were left home), and the new tackle box has a couple new Rapala's. The 20+ year old reels needed a new home in the round receptacle, and a rainy day adventure acquired a Micro 33 trigger spin and a Dock Demon (best $10 deal in quite a while) to replace the kayak sized tackle. Not as nice as the Shimano spinning reels on the longer rods, but lots more budget friendly. Too many years since I've gone fishing, found the $6 license is now $26...

Came home with a Lab/Shar Pei cross from the trollville animal shelter.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby teicher » 2016-Aug-Tue-19-Aug

I'm still poking in from time to time, I haven't been tinkering with my printer as much because I've been quite busy with my job and some of my other DIY hobbies.

teicher
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby frankv » 2016-Aug-Tue-20-Aug

I've gone to the Dark Side.... yup, I have a Delta now.

So I'm busy fiddling and fixing the Delta that I don't have time to fix the Printrbot.

There's also quite a busy Facebook PB group. I suspect newbies are going there rather than here.

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Aug-Tue-21-Aug

frankv wrote:There's also quite a busy Facebook PB group. I suspect newbies are going there rather than here.

I am a Facebook user, and I used the Facebook search to look for Printrbot, but what I found did not look like discussion or forum. There's an official Facebook page for Printrbot, and there's a button for a forum under that, but no posts at all in that forum. The Printrbot page just seems to have announcements about their latest products and the like. There's another closed Printrbot group that doesn't seem to be run by Printrbot and most of the members seemed to have foreign names. So where, exactly, are you finding a forum for PB users on Facebook? ("PB" seems to have a lot of meanings, like paintball, pitbull, pro builder, etc. etc.)

GT2 belts & pulleys
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby frankv » 2016-Aug-Tue-21-Aug

Oops... abbreviations.

The group is called Printrbot. Yes, it's a closed group. I can invite you to join... let me know if you would like.

Define "foreign", paleface! Yes, we have foreign names, being foreign and all that. :roll: :lol:

Conversation is in English (mostly), but please do try to spell colour correctly.

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Aug-Wed-06-Aug

frankv wrote:The group is called Printrbot. Yes, it's a closed group. I can invite you to join... let me know if you would like.

Define "foreign", paleface! Yes, we have foreign names, being foreign and all that. :roll: :lol:

Conversation is in English (mostly), but please do try to spell colour correctly.

OK, frankv, ya got me :oops: . Actually, to tell the truth, I have visited or lived for a while in at least 10 countries on three continents, and I handle French pretty well - so I'm not xenophobic. It just surprised me how the demographic for the list of names on the Facebook group leaned much more heavily toward non-US members than Printrbottalk's. I have nothing against that, except that I can't really read anything except English and French. (I grew up on the coast of Maine, where we refer to the clawed crustacean as "lobstah" - so I'm pretty polyglot as far as understanding the different dialects of English.)

Yes, I guess I'd like to be a member of the Facebook group. Thanks!

GT2 belts & pulleys
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby plexus » 2016-Aug-Wed-16-Aug

Yeah the traffic died down. there isn't much more going on on the fbook page either. Not sure... it would only be speculation as to why. It would be interesting to compare the printrbottalk.com analytics to printrbot's revenue. ;) ;) good thing I kept this site free and easy so as to not build up any dependancies on it. I've had many companies want to put advertising on it. I just keep the google ads on it which is enough to justify the hosting costs etc. someone even wanted to buy the forum. lol I just ignore all that crap. scum capitalists.

I haven't been printing much. After the usual whirlwind of printing when getting the printer and doing upgrades, now I just print when I need to which is not very often. the last print I made was a box for a 5V to 12V DC/DC converter to use as a USB to 12V charger. It's nice to be able to whip up a design in CAD and print it and move on.

Keep on truck'n.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
plexus
Site Admin

Postby musk » 2016-Aug-Wed-17-Aug

When I joined 3dhubs a couple years ago there were only 4,000 individual "hubs" listed. Now there are 32,000. Perhaps as the number of printers in the wild has increased customers now have local friends or acquaintances who are available to help them troubleshoot and mod their machines. That would certainly reduce the need to look for help online.

Printrbot Metal Plus (2x)
Printrbot Simple Metal (2x)
musk
Solid infill...

Postby JonS » 2016-Aug-Fri-00-Aug

I've had my hands full with my 20 month-old daughter.

Printrbot Metal Plus with:

- Dual Ubis 13S metal hot ends (swapped for original Ubis metals)
- Dual Gear Head extruders
- Heated bed
- PEI print bed film

Printrbot Jr (put out to pasture).
JonS
ACME leadscrew

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Aug-Fri-08-Aug

Wait until she starts school and you become Dad's Taxi Service if you think you're busy now.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby krog7d7 » 2016-Aug-Fri-18-Aug

Just getting back into printing again. I still have my old Printrbot Plus Z-X upgrade frankenbot and a Simple Maker. I upgraded the extruders and hot ends with the v2 and ubis13. I also took the plunge on the Simplify3d software. My printers are working better than ever!! I really haven't seen a need to try and move to another machine....yet.

krog7d7
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby drawcut » 2016-Aug-Sat-14-Aug

I haven't been around for a while and I had the same thought when I checked back in. For me, I just wasn't printing for a while there. I had some equipment frustrations and just burned out for a while. But I got that bug again, got some hardware issues worked out and found a lot of interesting new parts, materials and ideas to try out. Helps that I have a couple of specific projects that could really use 3d printed parts.

Printrbot original. Major mods: Y axis extended to ~8", Z extended to ~8.5". 5mm SS Z threaded rods w/ flex couplings. E3D hotend. Purchased Acetel gears. Glass bed with Elmers' purple glue stick for most prints. Top of Z axis rods have added cross structure similar to a Prusia i3.
drawcut
ACME leadscrew

Postby thawkins » 2016-Aug-Mon-08-Aug

drawcut wrote:I haven't been around for a while and I had the same thought when I checked back in. For me, I just wasn't printing for a while there. I had some equipment frustrations and just burned out for a while. But I got that bug again, got some hardware issues worked out and found a lot of interesting new parts, materials and ideas to try out. Helps that I have a couple of specific projects that could really use 3d printed parts.

I have been changing job, its complicated due to me having to renew passports and expat working visa's, so i have been preoccupied and have not printed anything for about 2 months. However all that is sorted out now, and i have about 4 weeks of r&r before i report for the new job, so im planing to shake off the cobwebs on my machines, fix a few small issues and get back into things.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
-------------------------------
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro