Fragmentation of the printrbot comunity

Discussions about the forum. How to expand and enhance it.

Postby ellweber » 2012-Jul-Mon-22-Jul

This forum has been up and running since mid-December of 2011. Brett/Plexus has put a lot of effort into setting it up and maintaining it and I have no idea what his out-of-pocket expense may have been. More than 500 of us have been reading, contributing and benefiting from its abundant information and the diverse, experienced and helpful membership. Not to mention the lurkers and the associated Wiki...

So, now Brook has decided to set up a parallel universe that he can control and maintain (and tie into his online store). I have looked at it briefly and I do not see any significant advantages over what we have here. I do like the way it encourages mixing graphics/photos with text but otherwise it will be a long time before it has any hope of offering much benefit to me.

So far, Brook has not shown me that he has the management skills or commitment to maintenance and communications that are needed for any of this. In fact, I didn't see a link to his community site from his existing printrbot.com site!

Take a look for yourself and see what you think: http://printrbot.dozuki.com/Guide

I plan to continue to support and visit here. Fragmentation of information really sucks! The mess we have for printrbot documentation demonstrates that clearly. Thank you Brett, for your contribution to this community.

ellweber
I'm an end stop.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Fragmentation of the printrbot comunity

Postby plexus » 2012-Jul-Mon-23-Jul

I don't feel this is an us or them scenario. This is and us and them scenario. An official and an unofficial forum are more useful together than separately. They compliment each other. We will likely find the official forum is uses for certain things the unofficial forum is not, and v.v. And lets say the universe goes over to the Brookside, it doesn't affect the already amazingly valuable cache of information so far compiled on this forum by merely the good will of YOU a fellow Printrbot/3D printer enthusiasts. :)

plexus
Site Admin

Postby k1nc81d » 2012-Jul-Mon-23-Jul

Wonder if there is a way to port all of this information over to the Brookside so Brett doesn't have to continue incurring the expense of maintaining this board.

k1nc81d
Printing skirt...

Postby plexus » 2012-Jul-Mon-23-Jul

Honestly, I do not incur any costs for this. Its free.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby ellweber » 2012-Jul-Mon-23-Jul

I did not mean to suggest it is us vs. them.

What I did say is: thank you Brett for your contribution.

And, that I have little hope that Brook's stuff will meet my own personal needs based on performance to date.

And, most importantly, FRAGMENTATION OF INFORMATION SUCKS.

ellweber
I'm an end stop.

Postby k1nc81d » 2012-Jul-Tue-01-Jul

We had that already. This forum is a fun place for discussion but it is a lousy place to store information. That is why the Wiki page was set up, however under utilized. Working with the Dozuki web site, it looks to combine the wiki aspects with the discussion aspects of each site. If it gets backing from the users of Printrbottalk it could be awesome. So far it doesn't look to be getting much backing. I've been trying to help users on both sites but it is a pain. I find my self wondering if I should just copy and past answers between sites :0 Or just leave it be.

k1nc81d
Printing skirt...

Postby CL1 » 2012-Jul-Tue-07-Jul

Brook's announcement of a competing and self-controlled Forum in Update 27 didn't surprise me, but it did once again show why this separate community of Printrbottalk is essential to the longterm success of these products.

For now I am staying here. I agree with ellweber's assessment and have personally seen numerous times how easily Brook walks away once he has gotten what he wants. So I can see that happening at the Dozuki site too. Here at PrintrBottalk we have a dedicated and non-profit driven community which will endure regardless of current PB owner whims.

There are things about the Dozuki interface which I like but i already spend enough time answering here. I am not going to go over and essentially endorse Brook's separation and fragmentation of the community by duplicating content.

@k1nc81d: Far better than duplicating <your own> content <to two sites> would be to post a link on that site to the answering thread or post(s) here! This is just general Internet practice and shows consideration for the original provider and content!
EDIT: reduced size of quoted name because the large type is to draw attention to the concept, not the individual! Also added words above in <> due to misunderstanding of my intent without these clarifying words. Sorry for any misunderstanding. /edit

@all Please do not cut and paste any content I have written here to that site. Use A link to printrbottalk instead.

Before you go over there and add content, think about where you would be if this printrbottalk site hadn't existed til update 27. Have a look at this Ask Brook thread where he promises to come here and answer questions. viewtopic.php?f=75&t=309
Re-read the comments on Kickstarter, knowing that all the while printrbottalk was providing answers Brook would not.

printrbottalk.com IS THE PrintrBot community. Let Dozuki be the docs place Brook wants. As Plexus writes, there is a place for both. The PrintrBot community is already here!

CL1

Last edited by CL1 on 2012-Jul-Tue-18-Jul, edited 1 time in total.
CL1
Can update firmware

Postby k1nc81d » 2012-Jul-Tue-09-Jul

I have only reposted my own content. Content from others, I have only done once as a link to the thread where the content can be found.

You should check you sources before you accuse less you start a flame war.

Last edited by k1nc81d on 2012-Jul-Tue-09-Jul, edited 1 time in total.
k1nc81d
Printing skirt...

Postby Dick Brewster » 2012-Jul-Tue-09-Jul

CL1, Well said. If Brook carries through and his site becomes a thorough, accurate instruction site for Printrbot assembly and problem solving, that would be great; however, based on past performance I'm not going to hold my breath.

I think this will always remain the site where a more open discussion of problems and unofficial solutions to the problems will be more freely discussed.

Backer #30 Lincoln California, Home of the Printrbot
Dick Brewster
Layer 100 of 1234

Postby CL1 » 2012-Jul-Tue-11-Jul

k1nc81d wrote:You should check you sources before you accuse less you start a flame war.

Huh? Not sure how you came up with that perspective. You were never accused of anything. Here is my *source* that I based my reply to you upon:
k1nc81d wrote: I find my self wondering if I should just copy and past answers between sites :0 Or just leave it be.

My reply was twofold. First, my suggestion that you would be better off using a link back to printrbottalk than to "just copy and past <sic> answers between sites :0".
Second, that I did not want anyone re-posting my content there. That second part has nothing to do with the first, except that your "wondering" brings up that others might be wondering something similar, so I want to be sure my intent and reasoning is clearly stated to the "@all" in my post.

CL1

CL1
Can update firmware

Postby Mooselake » 2012-Jul-Tue-12-Jul

k1nc81d wrote:You should check you sources before you accuse less you start a flame war.

Somewhere in the forum is a discussion about engineers and social graces. CL1's one of the good guys...

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2011-01-11/

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby k1nc81d » 2012-Jul-Tue-15-Jul

CL1 wrote:
@k1nc81d: Far better than duplicating content would be to post a link on that site to the answering thread or post(s) here! This is just general Internet practice and shows consideration for the original provider and content!

@all Please do not cut and paste any content I have written here to that site. Use A link to printrbottalk instead.

CL1

I read the above as directed at me, as if I was trying to take credit for others work. I will take offense to that.

I didn't even know about this site until I was up and running and modding. One of my first posts was some what criticized a bit by CL1 and a bit more by scantrontb. I didn't feel that negativity had a place here. As with most typed words it is often hard to decipher the feelings intended. I get that CL1 intended to protect others from attempting something that skirted the line and failing. I enjoyed discussing design decisions, hopefully Randy didn't take offense, non was intended. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=866

People are posting the same questions on both sites. In an attempt to help out the new site I answered some questions. Then I saw the same questions asked by the same people here, simultaneously. So at first I just answered again, pain in the butt. There is a lot more support here, so the discussion is better. Now it's kinda weird with a dead discussions on the Dozuki site. I also seem to be the only one answering questions there.

I try to offer support to any who ask.

k1nc81d
Printing skirt...

Postby ellweber » 2012-Jul-Tue-17-Jul

Yet again Brook has had an idea (in this case a not-very-good idea, from my perspective) and been totally ineffective in promoting it, making it accessible or any other form of follow-through. Another dropped ball.

The Dozuki site has been mentioned in one of his videos but there is no link (that I can find) to it on his main site, he has not come here to promote it and it seems little visited. The Dozuki printrbot site does not show up in the first four pages of a Google search for "printrbot documentation," this site is on the first page. You would think that someone with a web design business would address that early on if they were serious about such a site.

It is quite clear where the "center of gravity" for printrbot backers is located, right here. I expect that the Dozuki site will take a long time to become particularly useful, if ever.

I think this subject has run its course in a day's time. The market and the user community will ultimately determine where we all go to get help and to provide support. I may add Fragmented Documentation Sucks to my signature and be done with this frustration!!!

ellweber
I'm an end stop.

Postby CL1 » 2012-Jul-Tue-18-Jul

Edited my post above to aid clarity. Sorry for any misunderstanding!

CL1

CL1
Can update firmware

Postby drawcut » 2012-Jul-Tue-18-Jul

I must admit, I thought the same thing about fragmentation when I saw the other site. But I think it's really inevitable - human nature if you will. You can't make everyone happy all of the time on a single site. And heck: the more the merrier.

And the other site does have some interesting things going for it. The Wiki / discussion combination. The reputation points thing (although I don't care for that myself - Too easily gamed and I prefer to judge by the merits of the posts vs some number.)

That said, I'll stick with this place. While forums have their draw backs, I prefer them over Wikis since they are far more current in content and old info is found by digging through the search function. The Wiki here is fine but suffers from the same problem I've seen in most Wiki's - just not up to date, harder to contribute to and does not really offer the variety of opinions that a forum does. JMO.

@k1nc81d: I wouldn't take offence from CL1's comment. Honestly, what you wrote was a little ambiguous at first. Going back now I see that you meant only copying your own posts, but on first reading, I didn't see that. No harm, no foul.

Printrbot original. Major mods: Y axis extended to ~8", Z extended to ~8.5". 5mm SS Z threaded rods w/ flex couplings. E3D hotend. Purchased Acetel gears. Glass bed with Elmers' purple glue stick for most prints. Top of Z axis rods have added cross structure similar to a Prusia i3.
drawcut
ACME leadscrew

Postby hqmhqm » 2012-Jul-Tue-19-Jul

I think that while Printrbot Inc has been doing a great job, they are a little tone deaf when it comes to leveraging the contributions of the community. The documentation and debugging info actually published by Printrbot is what I would say less than sufficient for doing a build and more importantly for debugging the build.

I think what people at printrbottalk have done is maybe the best solution under the circumstances, which is to just go ahead with sharing info that we have, and not depending on Printrbot for any information. It's not the optimal situation, and I am a little worried that Printrbot is holding themselves back by being unable to supply enough "self-help" materials for their customers.

So I don't think this is a bad situation, just that it could be better, if there are design improvements or documentation resources that could be easier to find and keep up to date, with the help of the Printrbot manufacturer.

hqmhqm
I'm an end stop.

Postby CL1 » 2012-Jul-Tue-19-Jul

@drawcut: What's funny to me is that I never thought he meant copying anything BUT his own posts. I enlarged the reply in an edit just after I pressed submit when I thought it might be worthwhile to use my post to try to point everyone towards linking to here from there! So easy to be misunderstood in print.

CL1

CL1
Can update firmware

Postby drawcut » 2012-Jul-Tue-19-Jul

CL1 wrote:@drawcut: What's funny to me is that I never thought he meant copying anything BUT his own posts. I enlarged the reply in an edit just after I pressed submit when I thought it might be worthwhile to use my post to try to point everyone towards linking to here from there! So easy to be misunderstood in print.

CL1

:lol: So very true!

Printrbot original. Major mods: Y axis extended to ~8", Z extended to ~8.5". 5mm SS Z threaded rods w/ flex couplings. E3D hotend. Purchased Acetel gears. Glass bed with Elmers' purple glue stick for most prints. Top of Z axis rods have added cross structure similar to a Prusia i3.
drawcut
ACME leadscrew

Postby k1nc81d » 2012-Jul-Tue-22-Jul

I is easy to be misunderstood in print. Nothing for it. :-/ As I tell my wife, if what I said could be taken two ways... I meant the good one. :)

I think the Dozuki site is better set up to handle guides, but it cannot compete with the banter available on this site. Not even close.

I hope nothing changes on this site, but I think it would be good if the major contributors of this site set aside some time to set write guides to answer the common questions that popup. Then when they pop up they can easily be directed. The wealth of knowledge that can be found on these pages is so easily lost in the black hole of BBS.

k1nc81d
Printing skirt...

Postby plexus » 2012-Jul-Tue-22-Jul

k1nc81d wrote:I is easy to be misunderstood in print. Nothing for it. :-/ As I tell my wife, if what I said could be taken two ways... I meant the good one. :)

I think the Dozuki site is better set up to handle guides, but it cannot compete with the banter available on this site. Not even close.

I hope nothing changes on this site, but I think it would be good if the major contributors of this site set aside some time to set write guides to answer the common questions that popup. Then when they pop up they can easily be directed. The wealth of knowledge that can be found on these pages is so easily lost in the black hole of BBS.

I don't know about that. I am just starting the build of my PB+, my first 3D printer. I am finding this forum INVALUABLE in me assembling it. there is no other place that has the basic info and nitty gritty details to help do an exceptional build. Its pretty easy to find posts about issues I have. Sure it could be better but its working pretty well now. the wiki is also been useful. the whole how to assemble a PB+ in there is essential for me and there is no other place it exists.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby Mooselake » 2012-Jul-Wed-15-Jul

k1nc81d wrote:I is easy to be misunderstood in print. Nothing for it. :-/ As I tell my wife, if what I said could be taken two ways... I meant the good one. :)

And how well does that work out for you? :lol:

plexus wrote:I am finding this forum INVALUABLE in me assembling it.

I know this wasn't self promotion, but let me join those saying that your time and effort to create and maintain this forum are really appreciated, and you deserve a lot of appreciation for making it invaluable! Thanks!

You might not want anything for the forum itself, but if you have a paypal account I imagine a number of us would chuck in a few bucks (pounds, euros, lats, lits, etc.) so you could at least take your significant other out and have a good time.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby plexus » 2012-Jul-Wed-15-Jul

Mooselake wrote:
plexus wrote:I am finding this forum INVALUABLE in me assembling it.

I know this wasn't self promotion, but let me join those saying that your time and effort to create and maintain this forum are really appreciated, and you deserve a lot of appreciation for making it invaluable! Thanks!

You might not want anything for the forum itself, but if you have a paypal account I imagine a number of us would chuck in a few bucks (pounds, euros, lats, lits, etc.) so you could at least take your significant other out and have a good time.

Kirk

Gee thanks. Honestly, this forum just... is. I really dislike heavily moderated forums and forums that are just cash-grabs filled with banner adds and google words, or whatever. I wanted to create a forum that I would enjoy to use: without a crazy amount of ads and without megalomaniac moderators. As long as this forum is useful to people... when I post, I am not posting as the forum "owner" but rather as a fellow PB user.

No need for financial contributions. however, if you do want to contribute, I can tell you the wiki needs some work. One thing in particular that would be useful are tables that correlate the old official part numbers (4 letters) to the new ones (3 digits) for each of the printers and also to go through some of the assembly instructions and ensure they are accurate and list the parts accurately.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby ellweber » 2012-Jul-Wed-15-Jul

Mooselake wrote:I know this wasn't self promotion, but let me join those saying that your time and effort to create and maintain this forum are really appreciated, and you deserve a lot of appreciation for making it invaluable! Thanks!

Kirk

Thanks Mooselake, you finally captured the intent of my original post!!!

Brett need to see some appreciation after being treated so shabbily by a certain unnamed party.

Lynn

ellweber
I'm an end stop.

Postby plexus » 2012-Jul-Wed-15-Jul

ellweber wrote:
Mooselake wrote:I know this wasn't self promotion, but let me join those saying that your time and effort to create and maintain this forum are really appreciated, and you deserve a lot of appreciation for making it invaluable! Thanks!

Kirk

Thanks Mooselake, you finally captured the intent of my original post!!!

Brett need to see some appreciation after being treated so shabbily by a certain unnamed party.

Lynn

The best appreciation right now is to update and expand the wiki so that its accurate and more helpful. If you can do that, I would greatly appreciate it!

plexus
Site Admin

Postby ellweber » 2012-Jul-Wed-15-Jul

plexus wrote:The best appreciation right now is to update and expand the wiki so that its accurate and more helpful. If you can do that, I would greatly appreciate it!

I too am a strong proponent of the Wiki and have tried to contribute where I can. Right now the most valuable thing to me would be a coherent index for the Wiki so that it is easy to find information and articles. If we could persuade CL1 to compile his information, add some graphics and photos and then index it I think the Wiki would take a giant leap forward.

I have seen examples of Wikis that were tremendous assets to their user communities, for example the DD-WRT router WIKI [ http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page ]. Good search and indexing seems to me to be the key.

That said, I think it is starting to improve with the contributions of Badger and Knobunc for example.

ellweber
I'm an end stop.

Postby badger » 2012-Jul-Fri-10-Jul

ellweber wrote:That said, I think it is starting to improve with the contributions of Badger and Knobunc for example.

Thanks. :)

But for now I feel rather exhausted. :( I think I need to take a rest in wiki writing and then maybe return back. ;)

What I think the wiki really needs is a good moderator. Someone whose contribution will be more or less just organizing the "stuff" in some consistent state that can be easily searched through.

It might be also worth if someone tries to make some "sum up pages" (maybe just links to the important threads and posts) about the interesting hints and advices in forum. :( however.. I'm not sure how and if it's possible. Maybe.. I just.. I think it's much easier to find things in well organized wiki then well organized forum. But, of course, create and maintain "well organized" wiki is much harder than "well organized" forum. :)
Maybe just copy (add reference) to the bits and pieces of the forum that "everybody needs". Like the partlists, build essentials, troubleshooting. I don't know I'm not that good at organizing things. :(

most probably PB+ backer number 230
http://www.jezevcinora.cz/gallery/?g=gallery/tisk_3D
badger
I'm an end stop.

Postby plexus » 2012-Jul-Fri-11-Jul

badger wrote:
ellweber wrote:That said, I think it is starting to improve with the contributions of Badger and Knobunc for example.
What I think the wiki really needs is a good moderator. Someone whose contribution will be more or less just organizing the "stuff" in some consistent state that can be easily searched through.

That would be fantastic. we have mods that clean up spam and make tweeks. but not a "wiki librarian". if someone wants to step up to the plate, please let me know and I will set up the required permissions. however keep in mind this is a big job for someone - if you take it on it will be your responsibility to maintain the content on the wiki. PM me if you want to take this on.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby knobunc » 2012-Jul-Fri-14-Jul

I've been cleaning up things and trying to organize topics, but mostly in the PB+ area.

I've wanted to be able to add some stuff to the home page to cover generic topics (e.g. upgrades to all bots, etc.).

I'd gladly to help, but I don't have the time to do it alone, and it looks like you are looking for a single curator. I'd also love to be able to have the perms to delete the spam users and spam posts that are on there just to help with the Sisyphean task of keeping out the crud.

-ben

Backer 216, Nov. 27, 2011. (PB+)
knobunc
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby badger » 2012-Jul-Fri-15-Jul

plexus wrote:
badger wrote:What I think the wiki really needs is a good moderator. Someone whose contribution will be more or less just organizing the "stuff" in some consistent state that can be easily searched through.

That would be fantastic. we have mods that clean up spam and make tweeks. but not a "wiki librarian". if someone wants to step up to the plate, please let me know and I will set up the required permissions. however keep in mind this is a big job for someone - if you take it on it will be your responsibility to maintain the content on the wiki. PM me if you want to take this on.

I don't think I'm the right person. For that, I'm more like "do a piece here, do a piece there".

knobunc wrote:I've been cleaning up things and trying to organize topics, but mostly in the PB+ area.

I've wanted to be able to add some stuff to the home page to cover generic topics (e.g. upgrades to all bots, etc.).

I'd gladly to help, but I don't have the time to do it alone, and it looks like you are looking for a single curator. I'd also love to be able to have the perms to delete the spam users and spam posts that are on there just to help with the Sisyphean task of keeping out the crud.

-ben

I don't think it necessary needs to be one man show. ;) If you find two or three people willing to do that with similar opinion how the wiki should look (and are able to discuss together and find solutions) they can share the burden.

Enyway.. people like you tiding the little bits here and there are always needed. Keep doing the good job. ;)

most probably PB+ backer number 230
http://www.jezevcinora.cz/gallery/?g=gallery/tisk_3D
badger
I'm an end stop.

Postby scantrontb » 2012-Jul-Fri-21-Jul

@Knobunc, Badger, i know it doesn't seem like you can do it BY YOURSELF... and i think i can say this without stepping on Plexus's toes, but it doesn't NEED to BE a "one-person-show", just like it was too much for Plexus to take care of this forum by himself... 3 more of us stepped up to take a share of the load. i'm pretty sure that BOTH of you could do it, TOGETHER, and if a few more want to help out as well, I'll bet that Plexus will say "so be it..."

Don't planto mihi adveho illac
PB+ #786
scantrontb
Can update firmware

Postby plexus » 2012-Jul-Fri-21-Jul

scantrontb wrote:@Knobunc, Badger, i know it doesn't seem like you can do it BY YOURSELF... and i think i can say this without stepping on Plexus's toes, but it doesn't NEED to BE a "one-person-show", just like it was too much for Plexus to take care of this forum by himself... 3 more of us stepped up to take a share of the load. i'm pretty sure that BOTH of you could do it, TOGETHER, and if a few more want to help out as well, I'll bet that Plexus will say "so be it..."

yeah, there are 4 people that are admins on the wiki now. Knobunc was made one today.

I think we are good for the moment at 4 mods for the forum and 5 for the wiki.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby eddiema » 2012-Jul-Sat-05-Jul

I don't want yet another forum or what ever.
I thought this forum was set up without enough consultation with Brook and the kickstarter community but it has turned out pretty well.
I had hoped Brook would have set something up at the start or at least had some vision of where this was going but in hind sight it was probably better to have a neutral forum.

Printrbot was sold as "your first 3d printer" and I expect many of us will move on to build different printers and such including DLP, SLS and CNC.
It would be good if the road map included this instead of disbanding. I'd guess that is more likely here than a PB controlled site.
What happens if someone else sells PB clones - which they legally can (maybe with a name change).
I think they'd be welcomed here - maybe not so welcomed else where?
I could be wrong - for example thingy verse is run by makerbot but it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Time will tell if PBHQ lift their game when things slow down. I defended PB in the past and still think few people could have pulled it all together.
But I'm not impressed by some of the things that have happened even if I keep it to myself - we will see.

With all the time I've spent here and doing printer stuff my web-site has been totally neglected and that is where I will be spending more time when I find some.

eddiema
Aluminum coupler brain

Postby CL1 » 2012-Jul-Sat-12-Jul

eddiema wrote:I could be wrong - for example thingy verse is run by makerbot but it doesn't seem to be a problem.

I don't think you're wrong. Food for thought. Brook told me he preferred ReplicatorG, but went with Pronterface because makerbot *owned* replicatorG.

@Plexus.While I like your new bot pic, I greatly miss your old avatar! It was outstanding, as in stands out! Like the mighty Wizard of Oz

CL1

CL1
Can update firmware

Postby plexus » 2012-Jul-Sat-12-Jul

CL1 wrote:
eddiema wrote:I could be wrong - for example thingy verse is run by makerbot but it doesn't seem to be a problem.

I don't think you're wrong. Food for thought. Brook told me he preferred ReplicatorG, but went with Pronterface because makerbot *owned* replicatorG.

@Plexus.While I like your new bot pic, I greatly miss your old avatar! It was outstanding, as in stands out! Like the mighty Wizard of Oz

CL1

I'll switch it back CL1 after I have basked in the post-printrbot assembly aura of goodness.

plexus
Site Admin

Interaction between Slic3r and Pronterface

Postby k1nc81d » 2012-Aug-Thu-15-Aug

mdfast1 wrote:Awesome, thanks k1nc81d. I hope you don't mind but I copied the relevant info from your post there and will put it here to get the answer in the thread.

As discussed in this thread, viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1029

I don't have a problem with it but CL1 seems to have a pretty strong aversion to it.

CL1 wrote:Brook's announcement of a competing and self-controlled Forum in Update 27 didn't surprise me, but it did once again show why this separate community of Printrbottalk is essential to the longterm success of these products.

For now I am staying here. I agree with ellweber's assessment and have personally seen numerous times how easily Brook walks away once he has gotten what he wants. So I can see that happening at the Dozuki site too. Here at PrintrBottalk we have a dedicated and non-profit driven community which will endure regardless of current PB owner whims.

There are things about the Dozuki interface which I like but i already spend enough time answering here. I am not going to go over and essentially endorse Brook's separation and fragmentation of the community by duplicating content.

@k1nc81d: Far better than duplicating <your own> content <to two sites> would be to post a link on that site to the answering thread or post(s) here! This is just general Internet practice and shows consideration for the original provider and content!
EDIT: reduced size of quoted name because the large type is to draw attention to the concept, not the individual! Also added words above in <> due to misunderstanding of my intent without these clarifying words. Sorry for any misunderstanding. /edit

Before you go over there and add content, think about where you would be if this printrbottalk site hadn't existed til update 27. Have a look at this Ask Brook thread where he promises to come here and answer questions. viewtopic.php?f=75&t=309
Re-read the comments on Kickstarter, knowing that all the while printrbottalk was providing answers Brook would not.

printrbottalk.com IS THE PrintrBot community. Let Dozuki be the docs place Brook wants. As Plexus writes, there is a place for both. The PrintrBot community is already here!

CL1

k1nc81d
Printing skirt...

Re: Interaction between Slic3r and Pronterface

Postby mdfast1 » 2012-Aug-Thu-19-Aug

As long as you don't have an aversion to it then it's all good. I think im on the opposite side of the fence on that issue, but to each their own, the internet was made for dissemination of information I do agree that this is the place to be for printrbot and any attempt to circumvent it and not incorporate it into the official business plan is pretty disrespectful to this community.

Thanks for the help regardless.
/rant

Printrbot Simple Metal - RED -
UBIS 13

Printrbot LC+ - Operational

Printrbot Original- Donated
GT2 - 20 Tooth Pulleys
GT2 Belts
Brass Threaded Rods
Spur Gears from drawcut
.35mm nozzle
mdfast1
Layer 650 of 1234

Postby k1nc81d » 2012-Aug-Fri-05-Aug

I don't think that printrbot.dozuki.com is disrespectful to the community. Not sure if that is what you ment though. Or are you stating that posting information in any other place other than here is disrespectful? Confused...

k1nc81d
Printing skirt...

Postby mdfast1 » 2012-Aug-Fri-13-Aug

k1nc81d wrote:I don't think that printrbot.dozuki.com is disrespectful to the community. Not sure if that is what you ment though. Or are you stating that posting information in any other place other than here is disrespectful? Confused...

Ha, I guess I'm confused as well. I meant that I think it would have been better if Brook took this site and used it as the official forum in lieu of starting a whole new separate site. Either way, this is where I'll be posting, learning, helping and will check out the other site when I get time.

Printrbot Simple Metal - RED -
UBIS 13

Printrbot LC+ - Operational

Printrbot Original- Donated
GT2 - 20 Tooth Pulleys
GT2 Belts
Brass Threaded Rods
Spur Gears from drawcut
.35mm nozzle
mdfast1
Layer 650 of 1234

Postby Dick Brewster » 2012-Aug-Fri-15-Aug

Two different sites is better. Brook can have his corporate site that reflects the world as he sees it. From what I have seen of Plexus in action this site won't have censorship of content except for downright false or ugly disrespectful posts.

I'm not implying that Brook's site will be a whitewash because he has freely admitted to problems in the past. But, his objectives are justifiably different than those of a non-commercial user run site.
I do agree that this is the place to be for printrbot and any attempt to circumvent it and not incorporate it into the official business plan is pretty disrespectful to this community.

To try to usurp this site into a commercial site would be disrespectful to this community

Backer #30 Lincoln California, Home of the Printrbot
Dick Brewster
Layer 100 of 1234

Postby ellweber » 2012-Aug-Fri-16-Aug

What is disrespectful to this site is to, for all intents and purposes, completely ignore it for the entire time since he started the Kickstrter campaign.

He has posted here a grand total of three times even though he committed (oh, there's that dirty word again) to some presence with; " I thought I would try to stop by regularly and answer any hot topics that need attention."

In the meantime this site and its diverse and well intentioned participants have supported Brook, defended Brook, provided the documentation and technical support that Brook has neglected and, most valuable, made his business aspirations far more likely to succeed.

I can only speak for myself but I think he has been unwise, short-sighted and insulting too. Empty promises are no real substitute for respect, competence and responsibility.

ellweber
I'm an end stop.

Postby k1nc81d » 2012-Aug-Fri-22-Aug

Dick Brewster wrote:Two different sites is better. Brook can have his corporate site that reflects the world as he sees it. From what I have seen of Plexus in action this site won't have censorship of content except for downright false or ugly disrespectful posts.

I'd like to second what dick Brewster wrote. I think Printrbot needs a robust corporet site. I also feel that it is good to have a site users can feel free to post whatever they like. The dozuki site has a bit of a learning curve but it is a lot better at building how to guides than a BBS. Wiki has come capabilities but requires more work.

Maybe if brook removed the "Answers" section on the site, things would be less confusing. I'd like to see some cleanly written guides and explanations. I would have saved a lot of time if this documentation was available. As it was, I had to do a lot of experimentation. A lot of wasted plastic.

k1nc81d
Printing skirt...

Postby David@Printrbot » 2014-Jan-Thu-14-Jan

Just found this thread so I figured I would chime in.

For increased clarity and laser focus, we recently started investing in our Q&A section on help.printrbot.com We have always had this from the beginning, but no incentive to develop it. However, the printrbottalk forum has grown large enough now that it lacks a needed focus to meet our specific support goals. Open source often goes that way.

Our Q&A section is heavily vetted and pruned for clarity. It does one thing: answers the hottest questions for the current gear for sale and the current MO of Printrbot. It is certainly nothing personal that there appears to be two forums. Frankly, there are. And with two different objectives. Naturally, we are pointing new customers to the official one, chiefly. However, we here at Printrbot are very grateful for all the folks at printrbottalk.com and are thankful for having both forums!

Printrbot: Dominate Your Prints!
David@Printrbot
PBHQ Official

Postby plexus » 2014-Jan-Thu-14-Jan

There is no fragmentation. This is the internet. The whole point is to have multiple sources of content. People will gravitate to the sources they find most useful and usable to them. Choice.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby Bob-StPaul » 2014-Jan-Thu-22-Jan

David@Printrbot wrote:Just found this thread so I figured I would chime in.

For increased clarity and laser focus, we recently started investing in our Q&A section on help.printrbot.com We have always had this from the beginning, but no incentive to develop it. However, the printrbottalk forum has grown large enough now that it lacks a needed focus to meet our specific support goals. Open source often goes that way.

Our Q&A section is heavily vetted and pruned for clarity. It does one thing: answers the hottest questions for the current gear for sale and the current MO of Printrbot. It is certainly nothing personal that there appears to be two forums. Frankly, there are. And with two different objectives. Naturally, we are pointing new customers to the official one, chiefly. However, we here at Printrbot are very grateful for all the folks at printrbottalk.com and are thankful for having both forums!

WOW - it must have really improved since I built my V2 Jr! It's likely I would have never ended up here if there had been anything close to good documentation or support at a Printerbot site.

Also nice that the "one thing" it does is abandon anyone who has anything other then current gear for sale and the current MO of Printerbot. Nice to know they are not loyal to me - makes me feel much better about perhaps not being loyal to them in the future.

My printer:
Printrbot JR w/ fan and metric threaded rods.
Bob-StPaul
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby David@Printrbot » 2014-Jan-Fri-17-Jan

Bob-StPaul wrote:

WOW - it must have really improved since I built my V2 Jr! It's likely I would have never ended up here if there had been anything close to good documentation or support at a Printerbot site.

Also nice that the "one thing" it does is abandon anyone who has anything other then current gear for sale and the current MO of Printerbot. Nice to know they are not loyal to me - makes me feel much better about perhaps not being loyal to them in the future.

Not sure why you think we have abandon anyone as we truly value all of our customers. Are you experiencing a particular issue with your Jr that has yet to be resolved? If so, and you can't find your answer here... please post up on help.printrbot.com and we will most certainly help you out.

David@Printrbot
PBHQ Official

Postby plexus » 2014-Jan-Fri-17-Jan

David@Printrbot wrote:
Bob-StPaul wrote:

Not sure why you think we have abandon anyone as we truly value all of our customers. Are you experiencing a particular issue with your Jr that has yet to be resolved? If so, and you can't find your answer here... please post up on help.printrbot.com and we will most certainly help you out.

I concur and I should have posted something earlier. I have one of the kickstarter PB+'s. so much has advanced at PBHQ with printer enhancements and tweeks. Remember this is all still experimental even though companies exist selling products. There have been many times I have had an issue with my printer be is technical or I want to do an upgrade or try something out that isn't explicitly listed for my printer. When I've emailed PBHQ about it I've have gotten stellar attention. PBHQ will work with you to get you what you need, you just have to ask. Have you asked?

The community is neither fragmented nor is PBHQ not supporting its customers. If you have this experience then you need to try harder to work with PBHQ. remember they are a busy bustling business. I think its safe to say (correct me if I am wrong David@Printrbot) that you can email David and he will take care of your issues quickly.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby DonaldJ » 2014-Jan-Sat-00-Jan

I think it's more of stratification than fragmentation.

Just for kicks, go check out Brook's original Kickstarter video pitch, and the original (printed) Printrbot. Now look at the Simple. Quite a bit of deveolpment in two years, no? And the Simples are selling like crazy, vastly outnumbering the Jr. and Plus.

I've looked at the PBHQ Help forum and it looks like most of the questions are from folks that have the pre-assembled printers, and that is the best forum for those users.

This forum seems more well suited for the kit builders and serious hacker/tinker community. There are some beautifully crazy mods out there, and a lot of great information for the extreme builder. Everybody's happy.

BTW, I would love to see an official PBHQ kit of the hardware/electronics for the printer in the original video. I'd like to print my own, just because...

DonaldJ
Support material...

Postby David@Printrbot » 2014-Jan-Sat-14-Jan

@plexus - Customers can certainly contact me directly via PM or email if they have a question, etc. However, now that we have two dedicated staff that actively monitor our help.printrbot.com site on a daily basis I am directing folks to post up their technical questions over there. Those guys are a better resource than myself and they have direct contact with the team in the shop and can get new parts shipped out when needed.

David@Printrbot
PBHQ Official

Return to Forum talk