[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - Print The Legend - documentary on Netflix about 3D printing

Print The Legend - documentary on Netflix about 3D printing

Discuss and document interesting online resources like projects, blogs, articles, data sheets, product info, shops, etc. an online repository of Printrbot related of interest info

Postby PxT » 2014-Sep-Mon-13-Sep

Here is an interesting documentary that was just released on Netflix about the 3D printing movement. The film mostly focuses on Stratasys, Formlabs and Makerbot — how they formed, compete, the internal politics of the newcomers against the giants, etc. Interesting not just from a 3D perspective, but also as a study of startups vs. the incumbents.

I would be interested to hear what everyone thinks. Don't read past this point if you don't want spoilers.
I knew some of the stories around Zach leaving Makerbot, but this film filled in some of the details for me. It certainly paints Bre in an unfavorable light and makes him look like someone who was fairly ruthless in pursuing the business side at the cost of those early relationships, but also as someone who maybe wasn't really ready to lead a company with a hundred employees and everything that comes along with that.

It will be interesting to see what becomes of Formlabs as they are sort of shown going along that same path with a leader who has disenfranchised some of the early staffers. I haven't followed them much IRL so I don't know how they are doing with their lawsuits, etc.

Would have liked to see more coverage in the film of some of the other smaller companies, but probably they decided to focus on these big three in order to narrow the story a bit. Still, some short background interviews with some of the other players would have helped to round it out a bit. Anyway, overall I give the film a positive rating. It kept my interest for the roughly 90 minute runtime.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PxT
Print complete...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Print The Legend - documentary on Netflix about 3D print

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Sep-Mon-13-Sep

Watched that two days ago!

I agree with your point about Bre...that may just be what happens when you grow at that kind of speed. It's a lot to deal with.

I don't want to say much more...at least until more people have watched it. Good film, I definitely feel as though I took something away from it.

Follow us on Twitter! @MatrixPrecision
Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby Motrius » 2014-Sep-Mon-18-Sep

Sadly I dont have Netflix, so I can't watch it.

Printrbot Simple 2013 v3
Motrius
Levelling print bed...

Off-topic: "Print the Legend" doc on Netflix

Postby thoughtfix » 2014-Sep-Mon-23-Sep

Anyone else watch this film? Discuss!

For the first half hour, I was about to throw it out the window. Then it got back and properly covered the changes to the industry in the last year (including the Stratasys/Makerbot merger and changes to Bre Pettis as well as the lawsuits against Formlabs.)

thoughtfix
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby PxT » 2014-Sep-Tue-00-Sep

[MOD NOTE: Merged duplicate threads]

PxT
Print complete...

Postby ei8htohms » 2014-Sep-Tue-13-Sep

I enjoyed it quite a bit but was flabbergasted that they made it through the whole film without ever even saying the word RepRap. John Abella on G+ rightly pointed out that the movie is really more about startups than 3d printing, but talking about Makerbot's early open source days without mentioning RepRap once seemed downright bizarre to me.

The film definitely did not paint Bre in a positive light and one assumes there are multiple sides to each of the sub-stories, but the volume of disgruntled former-Makerbotters was pretty compelling and his flip-flop with regards to open source is pretty difficult to justify completely.

The most inspiring thing about the movie to me was the apparent change of heart by Avi/3d Systems with regards to patents. We'll see if their behavior actually changes, but it didn't seem like substanceless spin-control to see Avi talk about.

Brook is instigating (I think that's the right word ;-)) a proper 3d printing documentary on G+ now. Go check out the thread and chime in.

Printrbot GO v.1 - steampunk
Auto bed compensation via endstop wired bed mounts
Thrust bearings and Oldham couplers for the
8mm Igus trapezoidal leadscrews w/
Igus DryLin nuts
PB LCD/encoder
GT2 belts
X and Y motors upgraded to Kysans
Twin 30mm fans

ei8htohms
ACME leadscrew

Postby PxT » 2014-Sep-Tue-13-Sep

PxT
Print complete...

Re: Off-topic: "Print the Legend" doc on Netflix

Postby teicher » 2014-Oct-Wed-20-Oct

teicher
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby Munson » 2014-Oct-Thu-09-Oct

I am not a big fan of Makerbot after the whole thingiverse issue and the move from open source to a closed one,after all of the free contribution they received.But you cannot blame Bre for being designated the so called "Steve Jobs" of the pack.With that said Makerbot accepted over 10 million dollars from 2 investors,when you have pressure from investors that want a large return on investment as opposed to a kick starter that produces a product to an individual as promised.Who was really to blame?Bre or the investor?or both?or all of the upper past and now upper staff?

Munson
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby jknightandkarr » 2015-Aug-Tue-03-Aug

Saw it n wow is the word. Interesting stuff but the guy in tx with printing 3d guns is out of his mind! N sure not in a good way...

Joe

My website is now up, the link is in my profile.
~Owner, Designer & Builder Killer K.A.R.R.
~Starfleet Captain Joe R.
USS-Titanic Registry Number NCC-1513
Launched: Star Date 48509.9 Galaxy Class, Titanic Sub-Class Starship Max Warp: 15.96
jknightandkarr
I'm an end stop.

Postby spaceorange12 » 2015-Aug-Tue-17-Aug

Thanks for the recommendation, I just watched it. It really does gloss over RepRap and some of the other open source organizations but other than that they did a good job telling the story.

RIP Printrbot 1405
spaceorange12
Printing skirt...

Postby jknightandkarr » 2015-Aug-Tue-18-Aug

Though I hoped to learn more about how to print better. Lol

Joe

My website is now up, the link is in my profile.
~Owner, Designer & Builder Killer K.A.R.R.
~Starfleet Captain Joe R.
USS-Titanic Registry Number NCC-1513
Launched: Star Date 48509.9 Galaxy Class, Titanic Sub-Class Starship Max Warp: 15.96
jknightandkarr
I'm an end stop.

Return to Online resources