[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - Ars Technica article about 3D printers

Ars Technica article about 3D printers

Discuss and document interesting online resources like projects, blogs, articles, data sheets, product info, shops, etc. an online repository of Printrbot related of interest info

Postby bburnett » 2013-Aug-Wed-09-Aug

For anyone that hasn't seen the article on Ars Technica about the Printrbot Simple and the replicator should take a look at; pretty good read!

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/08/ ... dimension/

bburnett
Levelling print bed...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Ars Technica article about 3D printers

Postby halley » 2013-Aug-Wed-12-Aug

There is definitely a hype-vs-reality problem in 3D printing. The high-end proprietary filament printers have just as many problems (just different problems) as the low-end string-drive models. Add to that a user who describes their mechanical prowess at the "assembles Ikea" level, you're going to have challenges. Many tinkerers overcome the challenges, but quite a few don't. We've had some newbies come onto this forum and basically rage-quit when they couldn't print the Yoda head within the first few days.

halley
ACME leadscrew

Postby jafenske » 2013-Aug-Wed-13-Aug

My printrbot plus V1, after assembly, was not ready to print. It took quite a bit of troubleshooting and tinkering to get good quality prints. For me that continues to be part of the fun. I would also like to say that Brooke's comment at the end of the article is very classy.

jafenske
Loading filament...

Postby rho-wan » 2013-Aug-Wed-15-Aug

It should be pointed out that the Simple, it seems, has more issues than a LCv2 or Plus v2, he could have gotten better results, but still… I also expected the printer to work easier than I experienced.

PrintrBot LCv2 and ABS. Flipped PCB with alu 3mm plate and then kapton on top, plus hairspray. Three paper rings ("frames") between PCB and alu plate, to compensate for the bulging PCB when warm.
Sunflower oil between PCB and alu plate to try to improve heat conduction (better than air anyway!)
rho-wan
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby DonaldJ » 2013-Aug-Wed-20-Aug

DonaldJ
Support material...

Postby Mooselake » 2013-Oct-Tue-23-Oct

I'm a bit behind...

This article has one of the greatest descriptions of 3D printers I've found "a pit without a bottom—an absolute yawning Stygian abyss of options and tweaking and modifications and endless re-printing".

That must be why we like them so much :-)

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Creality Ender 3 Pro 12/2019
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby russellriker » 2015-Sep-Wed-09-Sep

great read. wish I could write like that. And Brook's comment at the end was classy. But as a video I saw that Brook created. "3d printing is hard". very true statement that I'm learning every day with my new little Printrbot Metal Simple.... but I still love my little printer.

-Russ

russellriker
Loading filament...

Return to Online resources