Stumped connecting LCD V2 to Printrbot Plus Metal

Talk about assembling your printer

Postby RDragonrider » 2015-Jun-Sun-20-Jun

I am having some problems connecting the LCD to the printrboard. The SD extension cable is very short (about 7" or so) and comes out of the opposite side of the board from the main ribbon cable. I do not seem to have enough cable or a good spot for it to leave the inside of the printer. How do I route these cables and what is the suggested side of the printer to place the LCD? I am including a picture of the cable connection locations. As you can see, I barely have enough cable to reach the outside of the printer, unless I put a sharp bend in it and run it through the SD card slot!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RDragonrider
Loading filament...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Stumped connecting LCD V2 to Printrbot Plus Metal

Postby PxT » 2015-Jun-Fri-10-Jun

There isn't really a good way to do it with the stock setup.

If it were me I would buy a longer ribbon cable, sleeve it and then drill or grind a new hole in the case for the wire to pass through. That's a lot of work (unless you can find a pre-sleeved cable for sale somewhere), but the result will be a much cleaner look.

PxT
Print complete...

Postby musk » 2015-Jun-Sat-15-Jun

The most recent Metal Plus machines have cutouts on the bottom plates for the LCD V2 ribbon cables. Perhaps if you contact Printrbot they'll hook you up.

Printrbot Metal Plus (2x)
Printrbot Simple Metal (2x)
musk
Solid infill...

Postby RDragonrider » 2015-Jun-Sat-15-Jun

It has a cutout for the cable, but the SD card's cable is too short, not the ribbon cable for the controller. The problem is, the cable for the SD card comes out the opposite side of the printer from the controller's cable and measures about six inches, but both need to connect to the controller. This short length would force me to have the controller behind the printer and under the print bed to boot.

The parlex branded cable in the foreground is for the SD card. The ribbon cable in the background is for the controller.

RDragonrider
Loading filament...

Postby PxT » 2015-Jun-Sun-10-Jun

Glad to hear they have started putting cutouts in the case for this. My Plus doesn't have those.

You could just buy a longer cable, it shouldn't be more than a few bucks for a ribbon cable on eBay. Or try contacting printrbot and let them know that what they supplied doesn't work. I'm sure they will work with you to come to a solution.

PxT
Print complete...

Return to Assembly talk