Printrbot wont connect to computer

Talk about assembling your printer

Postby TheBoilingDumpling » 2013-May-Sun-00-May

I made a post like this already, but only like 2 people responded to it, and it was in the newbie talk section. So here is what I wrote on that post :
I have a problem. I ordered my Pirntrbot Jr. and I received it in a week or so. I only started making it later because of school, so I didn't have time to start on it. When I finally started it, I wasn't missing any parts, and nothing was damaged, well I think.

I finally finish the Printrbot Jr. and I try to connect it to prontrface, it wont work. The power supply lights up, and the light on the Arduino for the Printrbot Jr. lights up. I look in my devices and it says something like Unidentified device, or something around that. But basically it wont connect to my computer. I did download the USB driver and I did administrate the USB Driver. So is it my computer or the Arduino?

Should I buy a new Arduino?
Thanks,
TheBoilingDumpling

TheBoilingDumpling
I'm an end stop.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Printrbot wont connect to computer

Postby RetireeJay » 2013-May-Sun-20-May

I'm assuming you are on a Windows computer. If you are on a MAC then see various threads by Plexus and others.

If the USB driver is correctly installed, then when you plug in and turn on the Printrboard, you should hear the "USB Plug N Play Device Attached" recognition tone, and then shortly your device should show up in the Device Manager as
"USB Serial (Communication Class, Abstract Control Model)"
DeviceManager.PNG

In my case, it showed up as COM30.
Then you have to select or type in this COM port number into the connection field in Pronterface or Repetier. Then you should be able to click the "Connect" button and see your Printrbot.

There's no reason right now to think that you need a new Printrboard.

By the way, this is hardly a "Hardware and Mechanics" problem of Assembly. I noticed your post by filtering on "Unanswered Posts" But if others are searching for this answer, they are more likely to be looking in a Software forum.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Re: Printrbot wont connect to computer

Postby RetireeJay » 2013-May-Mon-12-May

The current Getting Started Guide in Printrbot's web site, http://printrbot.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Getting-Started-Guide.pdf has correct instructions on how to install the USB Serial Port driver and make the connection.

In my opinion, you have to be a Jedi master of half a dozen arcane pieces of software to flash the ROM on you Printrboard. That is absolutely the last thing I would ever try. It is WAY harder than just connecting the board with the USB serial port.

When you plug in the Printrboard to your computer, do you get the audible signal that something new has appeared? If not, I'd suspect the cable or maybe the plug on the Printrboard.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Return to Assembly talk