[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - LC and Plus assembly notes

LC and Plus assembly notes

Talk about assembling your printer

Postby CL1 » 2012-Apr-Sun-06-Apr

Last edited by CL1 on 2012-May-Thu-05-May, edited 32 times in total.
CL1
Can update firmware

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: LC and Plus assembly notes

Postby crow8888 » 2012-Apr-Fri-04-Apr

I recieved my plus, and have it 85% complete, but cannot find pictures to describe the
Z axis nut positions. Do these mount above or below the small wooden pieces that have the laser engraved "+" symbol? A picture showing this assembly would be very much appreciated.

Please also explain what hardware is used where with regards to the 5/16-18 bhcs and 5/16-18 bolts with the head that have flats? They look like they could work in a few places but what is correct?

Has anyone else gotten only a few square 6-32 nuts (I recieved just 8) and not enough 6-32 hex nuts(I recieved around 24).

crow8888
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby Marcus » 2012-Apr-Fri-05-Apr

(Thanks for working on this!)

Marcus
Support material...

Postby CL1 » 2012-Apr-Fri-07-Apr

CL1
Can update firmware

Postby Rosebug » 2012-Apr-Sat-11-Apr

Pictures please!
Visual learner and don't know what some of the parts are called!
This is a pic of what I received, you got some that I did not.

Here is my progress so far.

Last edited by Rosebug on 2012-Apr-Sat-11-Apr, edited 2 times in total.
Backer #193
Tucson Arizona
Purpose: Toy design
Maya for modeling
ABS
Rosebug
I'm an end stop.

Postby j45on » 2012-Apr-Sat-11-Apr

j45on
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby CL1 » 2012-Apr-Mon-12-Apr

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by CL1 on 2012-Apr-Mon-19-Apr, edited 6 times in total.
CL1
Can update firmware

Postby CL1 » 2012-Apr-Mon-12-Apr

CL1
Can update firmware

Postby cahorton » 2012-Apr-Mon-23-Apr

Just got mine today. So far I seem to be missing one linear bearing (10 vs 11). Are the parts in the attached picture the COMS parts? Otherwise, I have the same wooden parts as Rosebug EXCEPT for the ones you XXed out, and I appear to have a different bed.

COMS.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cahorton
Loading filament...

Postby Rosebug » 2012-May-Tue-01-May

Wow! thank you!
I would not have even know what to ask for!
I found a use for the XX pieces!!
They might hold the circuit board in under the base.
I did not use PCMT til too late (was not going to unscrew 15 screws!) so glued it in and those two XX will level it out at other end.

I jerry-rigged the xmps motor support bit with an extra long screw and 4 nuts.
I have an extra cylinder that the rods go in, at least I hope it is extra!
Now, how do I go about getting those parts?

Backer #193
Tucson Arizona
Purpose: Toy design
Maya for modeling
ABS
Rosebug
I'm an end stop.

Postby cahorton » 2012-May-Tue-03-May

I'm up to step 1c on my PrintrbotLC. I need to stop by home depot to get more square nuts before I can finish.

Some comments & hints based on what I've learned so far. First, photos here:

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjzFtkXp

I didn't upload them here because of the size limit. They're based on CL1's instructions which are great if you PAY ATTENTION (which I didn't do the first time around, and accidentally put the back panel on flipped. It's now been fixed in the pictures ;-)

[EDIT: Note that when the instructions say LEFT during the PCMT step, it means both to your left if assembling per the instructions, and the left side of the base if you stand it up and are facing the front]

Two questions:
1) I count 29 places for square nuts in the base, but the BOM only says we get 26 (and I only have 25, doh!). Is the BOM count wrong or maybe in step 1c are we not supposed to fasten the deck to the plate? I interpreted "add the rest of the screws and nuts to fill all holes" to mean attaching the plates to the deck and the sides which would use 29 nuts.
2) Maybe a dumb question, but is the Printrboard mounted facing up or down in step 1e (not there yet). It seems like it would be impossible to attach the cables once the board is in place if mounted up.

-c

Last edited by cahorton on 2012-May-Wed-00-May, edited 1 time in total.
cahorton
Loading filament...

Postby PxT » 2012-May-Tue-10-May

PxT
Print complete...

Postby CL1 » 2012-May-Tue-15-May

Last edited by CL1 on 2012-May-Tue-16-May, edited 1 time in total.
CL1
Can update firmware

Postby CL1 » 2012-May-Tue-15-May

CL1
Can update firmware

Postby CL1 » 2012-May-Tue-16-May

Last edited by CL1 on 2012-May-Tue-16-May, edited 1 time in total.
CL1
Can update firmware

Postby cahorton » 2012-May-Tue-16-May

Doh! That's what you get for doing it at 1am. I looked at my pictures and had it laid out right but must have flipped it without thinking when I put it together. I'll fix it tonight and upload new pictures.

cahorton
Loading filament...

Postby cahorton » 2012-May-Wed-00-May

Ok it's fixed and I've put up replacement pictures in the same location. The last link in your previous post is now broken because I deleted that picture in order to avoid confusing people.

cahorton
Loading filament...

Postby cahorton » 2012-May-Wed-03-May

I made it through the base assembly. I think I figured out everything except I'm not 100% about one detail regarding the Y stop switch. The instructions don't say whether its should be mounted facing toward the front or back of the base. Given the cable holes, the answer is almost certainly forward (like this? http://www.flickr.com/photos/cahorton/6988592138/ ), but it would be good to be explicit about this.

I've added more pictures to my printrbot Flickr set so it now goes through all the base assembly steps. Another hint: long tweezers or narrow needle nose pliers will be very helpful when trying to place all the square nuts.

-chris

cahorton
Loading filament...

Postby PxT » 2012-May-Wed-10-May

PxT
Print complete...

Postby cahorton » 2012-May-Thu-02-May

cahorton
Loading filament...

Postby andrewboudreau » 2012-May-Thu-11-May

I've put about 2 days into my build so far and realized last night i hooked up z-motors into the wrong locations. In addition i broke both pulleys trying to get them off the motor shafts. DOH, well know i understand better how this thing works at least.

So, CL1, thanks for the notes! I was pretty lost at the LC base assembly but eventually figured it out from your notes. Does anyone have some pictures of the completed LC assembly? I'm just having a hard time finding a complete set of photos and there are a few pieces i'm not understanding. The wiki tutorial is lacking photos to say the least.

Additionally, how do i get two more pulleys for the motor shafts? Anyone want to print them for me so i can get mine up and running, message me i'm happy to trade for them? The part that takes the hex bolt and nut snapped off the while trying to remove the pulley. I'm going to continue the build without the screw as the pulley still fits really snug. I can print those new ones first off if this temporary solution works. My assumption is that the cable will skip but i'll have to wait and see what happens when i re-arrange the motors and continue on with the build.

Additionally, the motor i've attached to the bridge assembly is very snug fit, i guess i have to trim the shaft a touch but will have to go to my friends garage to do so. I'm also go to try and flat my motor but i don't want to do that until after i get or print a new pulley since i'm afraid the fitting slip for sure if i do before i get a new part.

andrewboudreau

Postby PxT » 2012-May-Thu-11-May

PxT
Print complete...

Postby cahorton » 2012-May-Thu-15-May

cahorton
Loading filament...

Postby RussNelson » 2012-May-Thu-17-May

I'm wondering if a Wiki wouldn't be a better way to document the instructions on building a Printrbot? I'd be happy to set it up.

RussNelson
Loading filament...

Postby PxT » 2012-May-Thu-17-May

You mean like ?

PxT
Print complete...

Postby RussNelson » 2012-May-Thu-17-May

RussNelson
Loading filament...

Postby RussNelson » 2012-May-Thu-19-May

RussNelson
Loading filament...

Postby CL1 » 2012-May-Fri-09-May

CL1
Can update firmware

Postby ivoriv » 2012-May-Fri-16-May

thanks CL1 and crew, couldn't have got as far as I have without this resource. One question though:

For the Z-feed nut, the one on the threaded rods, is it mounted on the bottom of the bridge or inside?
Another way to phrase this is does it go on top or below the wooden piece with the hole for the threaded rod...

With the forces at play, below makes sense but already built it inside...

ivoriv

Postby CL1 » 2012-May-Fri-16-May

CL1
Can update firmware

Postby ivoriv » 2012-May-Fri-16-May

ivoriv

Postby RussNelson » 2012-May-Fri-20-May

RussNelson
Loading filament...

Postby RussNelson » 2012-May-Sat-00-May

RussNelson
Loading filament...

Postby cahorton » 2012-May-Sat-02-May

CL1: awesome! Thanks for the additional instructions. I might have finished the bridge tonight but I ran out of nuts again. I did send an email to info alerting them to the issue.

Today's lesson: zip-tie positioning matters. Let's just say it's a good thing I had my own supply. I had to redo them a number of times on the bridge because I wasn't thinking about where the bridge motor, belt, or other parts were going. You addressed most of that in your instructions, but it might be good to give specific recommendations (e.g. front, middle).

I uploaded pictures for the carriage assembly. BTW, at least for me doing the 4 nuts in the front plate was easy - I placed the nuts right over the holes while the pieces were almost put together and the front plate was down (see picture), then snapped the front plate up.

I'm not going to do bridge photos since Russ has that covered. Thanks Russ!

-chris

cahorton
Loading filament...

Postby RussNelson » 2012-May-Sat-21-May

CL1: please check the X bridge instructions at http://www.printrbottalk.com/wiki/index ... bot_X-axis -- I uploaded some new photos with the fixes you suggested.

RussNelson
Loading filament...

Postby CL1 » 2012-May-Sun-22-May

CL1
Can update firmware

Postby cahorton » 2012-May-Mon-02-May

Just uploaded images for the Z assembly and Printbed at the usual place (http://flic.kr/s/aHsjzFtkXp).
Z assembly (instructions with BOM) starts here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cahorton/7001506608/
Printbed (instructions with BOM) starts here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cahorton/7149122635/

As I mentioned before, I'm not doing photos for the bridge since Russ has that covered (and mine is built!).

I think the last thing I have left to do is run the cables and hook up the power supply. I may do one more set of photos on the cabling otherwise that's probably it! Maybe I'll also try to do a final count of nuts/bolts since (as of today) the BOM is off by a factor of 2 on nuts and I ran out of various bolts along the way.

If someone feels moved to take my pictures from flickr and put them into the wiki, please do. They're CC non-commercial.

Today's hint #1: check your screws have room before tightening them, when they fit inside the laser cut wood. I had a few instances where the screws fit EXACTLY into the groove, which meant any tightening would cause the shaft to push into the piece with the nut, possibly breaking the wood. I had to file the screws down so this wasn't a problem.

Hint #2: If you lose a ball-bearing from a linear bearing, it is possible to put it back! Tap the linear bearing on the table opening-down so the ball bearings settle to the bottom end. Without tilting the bearing, rotate it around the hole looking inside at the top for the line of ball bearings that has an opening in the top spot (this requires a flashlight or equivalent). Gently tilt the bearing on its side, and carefully position the runaway ball bearing on top of the open spot. Apply gentle pressure to push it back into place. This worked for me after two ball bearings popped out.

cahorton
Loading filament...

Postby RussNelson » 2012-May-Mon-20-May

RussNelson
Loading filament...

Postby RussNelson » 2012-May-Tue-01-May

I added photos to the wiki BOM: http://www.printrbottalk.com/wiki/index ... ntrbot_BOM
Thanks to cahorton for permission to reuse photos (I know he already had them as CC-By-NC, but I wanted to make sure that he was okay putting them here where they're supporting a commercial business).

RussNelson
Loading filament...

Postby CL1 » 2012-May-Tue-02-May

Last edited by CL1 on 2012-May-Thu-04-May, edited 1 time in total.
CL1
Can update firmware

Postby RussNelson » 2012-May-Wed-22-May

BTW, if you run short of square 6-32 nuts, and go buy some hex 6-32 nuts, they work fine everywhere except where the CRRC and CRPC come together. Those actually *do* require square nuts, so keep four of them out for that one part.

RussNelson
Loading filament...

Postby Noah » 2012-May-Sat-21-May

Im very confused about this. the BOM says there are only 26 square nuts and 10 hex for the 6-32 screws required to complete the build. But I ran out of nuts for my 6-32s by the bridge assembly I did a very thorough inventory before i started my build and I know I got everything listed on the BOM and I followed the instructions from this forum to the letter. I dont mind picking up some extra hardware, but im not sure if i did something wrong or not. i actually counted all the nuts on my bot to make sure i used them all up, and i used every single one and im only half way through my build. can anyone tell my why this is?

Noah
Loading filament...

Postby CL1 » 2012-May-Sun-00-May

CL1
Can update firmware

Postby RussNelson » 2012-May-Sun-14-May

RussNelson
Loading filament...

Postby RussNelson » 2012-May-Sun-14-May

It looks like the bed heater has a couple of traces for the thermistor running from the edge to the middle. Has anybody tried soldering the thermistor in the center and using those traces to bring the thermistor wires out the edge?

RussNelson
Loading filament...

Postby Alexmadsen1 » 2012-May-Sun-14-May

yes,

I soldered the bed heater traces to the thermistor. Not adequate of space for the provided components, but it worked.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=476&p=3409&hilit=cable#p3409

Alex

Alexmadsen1
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby Noah » 2012-May-Tue-18-May

got what i guess is a filment guide in my kit.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78665801@N04/7206175138/
Any ideas on how to attach this to my lc?

Noah
Loading filament...

Postby CL1 » 2012-May-Tue-20-May

CL1
Can update firmware

Postby Noah » 2012-May-Tue-21-May

Noah
Loading filament...

Postby mia33133 » 2012-May-Wed-12-May

Can someone tell me why the Plus Part equivalent of CVRC would not fit over the pieces in the front of the carriage. It seems that the holes are slightly off center.

mia33133

Postby CL1 » 2012-May-Thu-02-May

CL1
Can update firmware

Postby jwb0001 » 2012-Jun-Thu-09-Jun

CL1 (and other knowledgeable assemblers),

Thanks so much for all the great info/pictures/etc on assembly. I wouldn't have made it through the first step if it wasn't for y'all helping the rest of us out.

One quick question - for Step 4a/1j, where you align the Z rods (Plus model), is it preferable to sand down and shim one of the 12mm holes on the plus to ensure the rods are vertical? One of my rods has an ever-so-slight tilt and for the life of me I can't seem to find any play in my base to adjust it (loosened screws everywhere but on the RDEPs). I've tried swapping around the front plate as well as various tightening procedures and can't seem to get that rod completely vertical. Is vertical alignment important enough (at this step) that I should sand down one of its entry holes and shim the opposite side for a truly vertical rod?

Sorry if this seems a bit picky, I looked around the forum a bit (and youtube videos) and couldn't seem to find any other assembly instructions where this vertical alignment was mentioned. Thanks for any help y'all can provide!

-joe

jwb0001

Postby CL1 » 2012-Jun-Thu-19-Jun

CL1
Can update firmware

Return to Assembly talk