PrintrBot LC Names and 4 letter Codes

Talk about assembling your printer

Postby CL1 » 2012-Apr-Sun-03-Apr

Important note: As of Update 25, 18 May 2012, Brook has decided to change to a P/N Part Number instead of the 4 letters. The numbers have been arbitrarily chosen, with only a basic attention to their relation to any specific part. They apparently do break down by machine somewhat. 23 May 2012 Brook has now added a JPG with these new LC numbers to printrbot.com. I have simply ADDED the new numbers into the the current listing under P/N (Part Number). That way both the legacy Codes and the now-official numbers will be easily correlated.

Here are the *official* PrintrBot LC Laser Cut part names, 4 Letter codes and P/N's as used at PBHQ:

QTY Code P/N Name (Comment)
Base Assembly Parts
1 DEKC 101 Deck LC
1 FNTC 102 Front LC
1 RRLC 103 Rear LC
*1 ZLMT 104 Z Limit Switch Spacer (shared with +) (*part of COMS. If COMS is used, this part is not Kitted.)
2 FOOT 105 Foot (Shared with +)
2 RDEP 106 Rod End Plate (Shared with +)
2 LRDC 107 Lower Rod Support LC
2 BSTR 108 Base Stretcher (Shared with +)
1 PCMT 109 PCB PrintrBoard Mount

Bridge Assembly Parts
1 XMPL 120 X Motor Plate (Shared with +)
*1 XMPS 121 X Motor Plate Support (Skinny cross-shaped stick. Triangle goes forward. Older part did not have triangle and was shorter. Length makes Nuttrap.)(Part of COMS. If COMS is present, this part is not kitted.)
1 DOGL 130 Dogleg (Left end of Carriage. Shorter than similar + part)
*1 SHOE 131 Shoe (Shared with +.)(Part of COMS. If COMS is present, this part is not kitted.)
1 XPLC 132 X Plate LC (Also called the Bridge, even though it is only the largest of many parts which make up the Bridge assembly.)
*1 CROS 133 Cross (Right End plate Upper spacer)(Part of COMS. If COMS is present, this part is not kitted.)
*1 CRSS 134 Cross Support (Has hole for right NSPC. Right End plate Lower spacer.)(Part of COMS. If COMS is present, this part is not kitted.)
2 REPC 150 Rod End Plate LC
2 RSHC 151 Rod Support Holed LC (Square Hole for NSPC, Outer Rod Support)
2 CVRC 152 Rod Support Cover LC
2 RSLC 153 Rod Support LC (Plain, without hole for inner support)
2 NSPC 154 Z Nut Support Plate LC (Looks very similar to + part. + NSPP has laser cut "+" to distinguish)

Carriage Assembly Parts
1 CRLC 170 Carriage Left Plate
1 CRPC 171 Carriage Plate LC (Front Carriage Plate. Look similar to + Version, but has only one screw hole. + Carriage Plate has 2. Think +1hole.)
1 CARC 172 Carriage Rear LC (Bearings, can use 2,3 or 4 linear bearings on carriage)
1 CARR 173 Carriage Rear LC (Belt attachment)
1 CRRC 174 Carriage Right Plate (Hole and boss for Y Endstop actuating screw)
*2 WEDG 175 Wedge (Belt tightening Wedge.)(Part of COMS. If COMS is present, this part is not kitted.)

Tool Assembly Parts (All shared with +)
1 EXMT 190 Extruder Mount (Shared with +)
1 GUSS 191 Gusset (Shared with +. In newest both have wiring holes, oldest have no holes, Transition has one with hole, one without. Hole on left)
1 EXPL 192 Extruder Plate (Shared with +. May be used in future as General tool mount plate)

Misc COM Parts
1 COMS Common Small parts (One of these contains one of each of all the *marked parts above.
Note: The COMS part is cut as one part with several pieces which can be snapped off. A kit may have EITHER 1 COMS or several equivalent loose parts. Most of the COMS pieces are used in the Bridge Assembly.

CL1

Last edited by CL1 on 2012-May-Thu-02-May, edited 3 times in total.
CL1
Can update firmware

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: PrintrBot LC Names and 4 letter Codes

Postby Rosebug » 2012-Apr-Sat-11-Apr

Thanks! now what do these LOOK like?
Cause I think I am missing a part but it could have any of those names under bridge.

Backer #193
Tucson Arizona
Purpose: Toy design
Maya for modeling
ABS
Rosebug
I'm an end stop.

Postby CL1 » 2012-Apr-Mon-13-Apr

Rosebug wrote:Thanks! now what do these LOOK like?
Cause I think I am missing a part but it could have any of those names under bridge.

Responded with labels of your pic in your other thread. Yes, you ARE missing parts, and you DO have a couple parts that aren't for an LC. Details in that other post.
REALLY sorry to see so many getting partial and incorrect kits!

CL1

CL1
Can update firmware

Postby Dick Brewster » 2012-Apr-Mon-13-Apr

CL1 wrote:

Responded with labels of your pic in your other thread. Yes, you ARE missing parts, and you DO have a couple parts that aren't for an LC. Details in that other post.

CL1

Whoever is packaging the PB kits would benefit from a clearly labeled BOM with pictures.

Backer #30 Lincoln California, Home of the Printrbot
Dick Brewster
Layer 100 of 1234

Postby CL1 » 2012-Apr-Mon-13-Apr

Dick Brewster wrote:
CL1 wrote:

CL1

Whoever is packaging the PB kits would benefit from a clearly labeled BOM with pictures.

Dick, I am TOTALLY in AGREEMENT with you. But unfortunately, it's not my call.

CL1

CL1
Can update firmware

Postby cahorton » 2012-May-Tue-03-May

[Edited, added the Tool Assembly and Carriage Assembly]

Labeled photos of:

Base Assembly Parts here: http://flic.kr/p/bDeui3

Tool Assembly Parts here: http://flic.kr/p/bSL93p

Carriage Assembly Parts here: http://flic.kr/p/bDRUjm

Others to follow as I get to them.

Last edited by cahorton on 2012-May-Thu-02-May, edited 2 times in total.
cahorton
Loading filament...

Postby CL1 » 2012-May-Tue-16-May

cahorton wrote:Labeled photo of the Base Assembly Parts here: http://flic.kr/p/bDeui3

Just want to *endorse* this 1st pic in the Set as being correctly labelled. Thank you cahorton!
And also note that the other pics are being updated soon as they currently(2:34 PM PST,May1,2012) show an inside-out build of the base assy.

CL1

CL1
Can update firmware

Postby cahorton » 2012-May-Wed-03-May

All the images with the backward piece have been deleted and replaced with a correct assembly. Thanks!

cahorton
Loading filament...

Postby j45on » 2012-May-Wed-15-May

cahorton wrote:Labeled photo of the Base Assembly Parts here: http://flic.kr/p/bDeui3

Others to follow as I get to them.

Great work cahorton :D I am sure this will help lots of people.
Would I be correct in assuming that the printrbot+ is the same only larger ?

Backer # 26
Printrbot +/recieved on 21-6-2012
j45on
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby Rosebug » 2012-May-Wed-23-May

All the images with the backward piece have been deleted and replaced with a correct assembly.

Thank you! the images helped me figure some things out.
Keep em coming!

Backer #193
Tucson Arizona
Purpose: Toy design
Maya for modeling
ABS
Rosebug
I'm an end stop.

Postby cahorton » 2012-May-Thu-00-May

j45on wrote:Would I be correct in assuming that the printrbot+ is the same only larger ?

I believe that's mostly true. However, there are differences in assembly (e.g., the printrboard is mounted differently) and parts (e.g., PB+ has CRPP, while the LC ha CRPC). I think if you read CL1's LC/PB+ assembly instructions here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=340 it should be apparent what is the same/different. The PB+ parts listing is here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=338 .

cahorton
Loading filament...

Postby rnielsen » 2012-May-Thu-08-May

I've updated the wiki page at http://www.printrbottalk.com/wiki/index ... ntrbot_BOM to match the text in this thread and included pictures of every printed and lasercut piece, as I found it hard to quickly verify I had everything (which I didn't :().

Cheers,
Rob.

rnielsen
Loading filament...

Postby scantrontb » 2012-May-Fri-00-May

rnielsen wrote:I've updated the wiki page at http://www.printrbottalk.com/wiki/index ... ntrbot_BOM to match the text in this thread and included pictures of every printed and lasercut piece, as I found it hard to quickly verify I had everything (which I didn't :().

Cheers,
Rob.

in the Vitamins section, you are missing the 2nd Thermistor, for the Hotend Extruder, it should be the same as the one for the HBP, probably with a longer wire though...

Don't planto mihi adveho illac
PB+ #786
scantrontb
Can update firmware

Postby rnielsen » 2012-May-Fri-00-May

I didn't touch the Vitamins section - that was already there. Please edit it if it's not accurate (you just need to click sign up if you haven't already)

rnielsen
Loading filament...

Postby CL1 » 2012-May-Thu-02-May

Updated the first post in this thread with the New P/N's Brook chose for the LC.

CL1

CL1
Can update firmware

Postby jr57k » 2012-May-Thu-08-May

Pics or it didn't happen! But seriously have you guys consider shoving these in a version control system like git so that we can keep revisions together as well? I do mucho code development at work and I can see generations of slightly altered bots with people scratching their heads trying to figure out why the diagrams they downloaded don't match the LC parts they are looking at. I'd be glad to help if there is interest in this. :mrgreen:

Edit- I know we have the wiki with page history, but that not close to what Im talking about

jr57k
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby CL1 » 2012-May-Thu-23-May

jr57k wrote:But seriously have you guys consider shoving these in a version control system like git so that we can keep revisions together as well?

Seriously, Good luck with that. YMMV.

CL1
Can update firmware

Postby scantrontb » 2012-May-Fri-00-May

CL1 wrote:
jr57k wrote:But seriously have you guys consider shoving these in a version control system like git so that we can keep revisions together as well?

Seriously, Good luck with that. YMMV.

yeah, it only works when the guys making the changes follow thru with the version numbering them and keeping it updated, if they fall behind or fail to do it, then the whole shebang falls apart and we're stuck in a similar situation to now... we "know" parts have been modified, but we don't have "access" to those mods, until Brook posts them somewhere... and he isn't doing that consistently... oh well, lets do the best we can until they do get posted... :|

Don't planto mihi adveho illac
PB+ #786
scantrontb
Can update firmware

Postby Alexmadsen1 » 2012-May-Fri-07-May

There was a short discussion on this at one point.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=256&p=1726&hilit=erp#p1726

Printbot and it customers would benefit from developing documentation control. Think of all the time spent correcting order that shipped the parts.

Two interesting solutions I found. For product data management.
Aligni is interesting because it has support open source projects. Based on the demo database it would be a big improvement. But is limited and missing missing some desirable features around part control and multi-level BOMs and change control.

Arena Solutions looks a lot more sophisticated more features than Aligni. I have not had an oppertunity to demo it. It does not currently seem to have a open ad-supported version.

http://www.arenasolutions.com
"Cloud PLM for bill of materials management helps manufacturers of all sizes get to market faster"

http://www.aligni.com/
"Aligni was built BY engineers FOR engineers to provide an easy-to-use, web based, database solution for managing components, parts, and vendors during the product development process."

"Open Aligni is an ad-supported version of Aligni, provided at no charge, for open-source hardware projects. Until now, there hasn't been a consistent way to deliver bill of materials, manage parts and components, and share design plans for open-source hardware projects. We hope Open Aligni will change that."

The the three options I see are to:
1) Convince Brook of the value of documentation control and a PDM system (open read access)
2) Start a independent documentation control and a PDM system (like the wiki/message board)
3) Do nothing.

#1 is preferable in my mind. I will broach the topic again with Brook. I did not get traction last time.

Alex Madsen

Alexmadsen1
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby CL1 » 2012-May-Fri-20-May

Alexmadsen1 wrote:#1 is preferable in my mind. I will broach the topic again with Brook. I did not get traction last time.
Good luck. IME entropy will rule in that approach. I'd suggest going with #2 or #3.

CL1

CL1
Can update firmware

Postby jr57k » 2012-May-Sat-11-May

CL1 wrote:
Alexmadsen1 wrote:#1 is preferable in my mind. I will broach the topic again with Brook. I did not get traction last time.
Good luck. IME entropy will rule in that approach. I'd suggest going with #2 or #3.
CL1

Well. once mine is built, I suppose #3 works for me.........

jr57k
Layer 300 of 1234

Return to Assembly talk