Printrbot Play Board; No ICSP Pins

Talk about assembling your printer

Postby ktfergus » 2016-May-Thu-17-May

I ordered a new RevF board for my Play because I sheared off the fragile micro USB connector (more on that later). The PB website states that the new boards ship without ICSP pins (I didn't realize exactly what that meant until I went to swap boards). The old board in my Play has the pins, so I'm wondering do the new boards use a different connector, or do the bots now run without the ICSP? Can I just leave the wires which used to connect to the ICSP disconnected when I install the board, or do I have to solder in my own pins?

I'm not an electronics guy. From what I've read the ICSP has to do with programming the board, bootloading and a whole bunch of other jargon that's over my head.

Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

-Kelly

PrintrBot Model: 1403 (Simple Metal Assembled) :: DIY Heated Bed, with 305mm Extended X Axis
PrintrBot Model: 1403 (Simple Metal Assembled) :: 305mm x200mm DIY heated bed
PrintrBot Model: 1505 (Play) :: 100mm x 250mm DIY heated bed
PrintrBot Model: 1503 (Play) :: 100mm x 100mm DIY Heated bed
Latest Project :: Sisyphus Whirligig
ktfergus
Printing skirt...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Printrbot Play Board; No ICSP Pins

Postby sgibbers17 » 2016-May-Thu-20-May

No you don't have to solder anything, it will work just like your old one.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

sgibbers17
Levelling print bed...

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-May-Thu-20-May

The only time you would need the ICSP pins is if you totally bricked the firmware on your board. Then, the ICSP is a way to get into the firmware memory on the chip without ANY bootloader firmware working.
The Rev F board has the plated-through holes for the ICSP connector; they just don't install the connector. If you're handy, you can unsolder the one from your old board and install it on the new board. But if your time is worth anything, you might just as well buy a new header instead of unsoldering the old one because that's not a very easy job unless you have special tools.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby ianadan » 2016-May-Fri-01-May

okay, now depending on your set up, you may need one pin, or at least to make some other workaround.

The Plays were, originally, fitted with the Ubis 13 hot end, that required a constant running fan to prevent heat creep up the hot end. In the Play, it's the top of the two fans.

It had one connection going to the hot end power and the other used the ICSP GND connection. Now you really need this fan, so you can either solder (or get someone to solder for you) one pin, or work another way to power the fan....

Ian

Metal Printrbot Plus (Dual Extruder)
Metal Printrbot Simple (X and Z Expansion)
Metal Printrbot Simple
Printrbot Play (Heated Bed)
Printrbot Play
Metal Printrbot Simple (Paste Extruder)
Metal Printrbot Plus
ianadan
Loading filament...

Return to Assembly talk