Question on assembling Heated Bed

Talk about assembling your printer

Postby sbussinger » 2015-Dec-Thu-02-Dec

I just received my PrintrBot Simple Metal kit and I'm assembling one for the first time. I've run into an issue and it's not clear to me what I'm doing wrong, so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I've think I've assembled the heated bed according to PrintrBot's guides, but after mounting the print bed onto the X axis if I manually move the print bed back and forth the heads of the rear two bolts that secure the heating plate to the print bed hit the vertical tabs in the base that hold the belt bearings. This means you can't traverse the bed along the X-axis rails from end to end without catching on both sides and I assume this can't be correct.

Here's a picture of the disassembled print bed to indicate where I mean (I only pointed out one side, but it happens on both sides):
plate.jpg

Here's a close up of the top of the tabs where you can see the finish scratched off:
tab.jpg

And a close up of a bolt:
bolt.jpg

I could shim the print bed up off of the delrin bars, but nobody else seems to have mentioned needing to do that so what am I missing? I've seen pictures of some print beds that appears to have a milled out place for the heating plate to reside, but mine is just flat aluminum (and that's what the guide shows as well). I had also ordered the Simple X Axis Heated upgrade (which I'm ignoring for now) and it's flat as well. So should there be a milled out section and I have the wrong plates or did I mess something else up?

Thanks for any help!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sbussinger
Loading filament...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Question on assembling Heated Bed

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Dec-Sun-18-Dec

Since nobody else has commented, by any chance did you have some socket head screws with lower profile heads in the kit? While I have a much older plywood Plus with a completely different bed system, I'd be tempted to buy some button head screws to replace the ones that are hitting on yours.

The picture's a bit out of focus, but it looks like you installed them with the heads down. Not sure what's on the other side with your bot, but if it's like the older ones it would be a nut. Can you put them in with the heads pointing up and nuts on the bottom?

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby bbrown64 » 2015-Dec-Mon-07-Dec

You may gain some clearance if you mount the bed on top of the side rails instead of under them.

Bill Brown
Tulsa, OK
bbrown64
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby sbussinger » 2015-Dec-Wed-11-Dec

Mooselake, I bet you're right on that. I found a small bag of low profile head screws and it makes perfect sense. The existing screws weren't hitting by much so that's probably all it will take. I had just removed the heater board to get it working. When I'm ready to play with a heated bed, I'll try it with those screws. I'm sure it'll work fine.

Thanks for the assist!

sbussinger
Loading filament...

Postby cacb » 2015-Dec-Fri-10-Dec

I would recommend taping that sheet along all sides, using kapton tape. To attach it with screws in the corners is quite frankly a joke, it will tear when you heat/cool it.

Printrbot Simple Metal Kit + heated bed upgrade. KISSlicer (Kubuntu/Win7), OctoPrint (wireless Raspberry Pi model B) - http://arnholm.org/
cacb
Support material...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Dec-Fri-11-Dec

Mine's been screwed on since 2012. Maybe enlarge the holes for expansion room if that's an issue.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to Assembly talk