EXTRA SCREWS AND OTHER PARTS

Talk about assembling your printer

Postby david_isr » 2015-Oct-Fri-04-Oct

hello,
I just finished assembling my simple metal kit using the instructions on the site, and i got some spare screws washers and also 1 bearing.
Now i can understand that i get in the kit some extra M type screws, but i also got a 5mm diameter 20mm length Philips head screw ,and another 3.5mm dia and 40mm length Philips screw. no where in the instructions it said that i need this type off screws ( i cant even see it in the bill of materials and hardware size chart pages that come with the kit). i also got 4 black plastic washers (not the nylon ones) that i cant find i use for in the instructions.
So is there a use for all the parts i mentioned?
I attached a picture of the extra parts

p.s - the long Philips screw is not for the extruder handle. the one for the extruder is 30mm and not 40mm. also this i a Rev F type .

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
david_isr
Levelling print bed...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: EXTRA SCREWS AND OTHER PARTS

Postby russellriker » 2015-Oct-Fri-07-Oct

Well that never gives you a good feeling..... and I'm assuming (I know never do that) you've gone back and don't see and obvuous places these might go? Cause it's really not cool if someone at Printrbot wasn't doing their job and tossed a few extra in to mess with your head.

Best of luck
Russ

russellriker
Loading filament...

Postby david_isr » 2015-Oct-Fri-09-Oct

well its certainly look like that. i actually gone through the entire assemble twice just to make sure, and i didnt find any use for those PH screws and the plastic washers...
did anyone here assembled the simple metal kit lately ?

david_isr
Levelling print bed...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Oct-Fri-11-Oct

Way back in the past PB was known for not including enough parts (lot of discussion in the dusty forum basement, we often just ordered the extras before getting the kits), so perhaps they're overcompensating the other way. Lots cheaper to throw in a few extras then deal with tickets and extra shipping, and it's common with lots of kit manufacturers. I've gotten extras from Ikea, for example.

Low value parts, like screws and nuts, are usually weighted rather than counted because it's lots faster. Seems like they'd count bearings, but maybe you lucked out. As long as you can't find anything missing or loose then just consider them a bonus. I don't think they do a lot of kits these days, Brook's said on twitter that he was considering charging the same for assembled and kits due to the extra support costs, maybe this is a way to cut those a bit and save that funds for the alien probing gadget issues.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby david_isr » 2015-Oct-Fri-11-Oct

The thing is that if its was only extra parts i wouldn't complain, on the contrary. but the thing is that here i have parts that are not even on the bill of materials page, so what to do? just ignore it?

david_isr
Levelling print bed...

Postby david_isr » 2015-Oct-Fri-11-Oct

And one lest thing i wanted to ask- i noticed that when the printer is not connected to the power supply, and i turn by hand the steper motor (doesn't matter which one from the 4 ) the red light in the z probe turns on (i repeat - the printer is not connected to power).
is that normal? i know that when you turn a motor by hand its acts like a dynamo, but can it say something about faulty wiring?

david_isr
Levelling print bed...

Postby russellriker » 2015-Oct-Fri-13-Oct

yeah I noticed that as well and gave me pause that you're tossing current back into the system from a point that could lead to a polarized part that might not be expecting the current in that direction. Or am I being a worry wart?

russellriker
Loading filament...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Oct-Fri-13-Oct

Steppers will work as generators. I have a voltmeter across my power supply output, and see this pretty much every time I move something with the power off. It's normal.

If they're not in the BOM then just ignore them, or rather add them to your misc hardware jar. Perhaps somebody was cleaning up leftovers...

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Oct-Fri-13-Oct

russellriker wrote:yeah I noticed that as well and gave me pause that you're tossing current back into the system from a point that could lead to a polarized part that might not be expecting the current in that direction. Or am I being a worry wart?

There are diodes in the system that only allow the voltage from the motors to come into the board in the correct direction. Although I have never harmed my system by rotating motors, I don't think there's any inherent voltage limit that comes into play, so I wouldn't recommend rotating the motors really fast because you might conceivably over-stress something on the board with high voltage. I think perhaps the best way would be to have the power supply on, but the power to the motors turned off. With the power supply connected and turned on, there's quite a bit of protection against over-voltage. In Repetier Host, you can turn off the motors by clicking the little icon that looks like this:
RepetierTurnOffMotorsIcon.PNG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby david_isr » 2015-Oct-Fri-14-Oct

Thx for the help!
And what about the extra parts? just ignore it?

david_isr
Levelling print bed...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Oct-Fri-14-Oct

Put them in your jar (box, whatever) of spare nuts, bolts, screws, etc. If you don't have one, those square coffee plastic "cans" stack nice.

Or if you're more organized than that, Stack-on SBR-10s are available for a reasonable price again (for a while they were over $12 on Amazon). I use them for small parts, one for every diameter of the Mooselake machine screw collection (one reason I need that 40x60 shop, like Tim it's a long way to the store). Like the name suggests they stack nicely.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to Assembly talk