Ubis Nozzles .4mm and smaller....please

Postby Gadget-Dad » 2015-Apr-Sat-08-Apr

I am looking to buy some .4mm nozzles as well as an assortment of smaller nozzles for testing if available.

Printrbot's nozzles are expensive enough to drive me towards a different hot end.

Thanks.

Gadget-Dad
Levelling print bed...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Ubis Nozzles .4mm and smaller....please

Postby frankv » 2015-Apr-Sat-15-Apr

Try AliExpress (if you're OK to wait a couple of weeks for them to arrive).

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby musk » 2015-Apr-Sat-17-Apr

What is your frame of reference for nozzle pricing?

Printrbot Metal Plus (2x)
Printrbot Simple Metal (2x)
musk
Solid infill...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Apr-Sat-17-Apr

Make your own; it's documented here in the forum (and I believe on Thingiverse by Jerril). All it takes is some brass acorn nuts, tiny drill bits, and (if you use Jerril's method) a hand held electric drill. I used a miniature metal lathe, but moose hooves aren't well suited to holding electric drills.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Gadget-Dad » 2015-Apr-Sun-16-Apr

musk wrote:What is your frame of reference for nozzle pricing?

Google.

Nozzles seem to be about $8 for 5 for non-Ubis nozzles.

Printrbot sells them for $8/each.

A $50 change of hotend, would buy me a lifetime of cheaper nozzles. :)

Gadget-Dad
Levelling print bed...

Postby Gadget-Dad » 2015-Apr-Sun-16-Apr

frankv wrote:Try AliExpress (if you're OK to wait a couple of weeks for them to arrive).

Do you have a link? I know the website, but I can' t find a compatible nozzle. Maybe I am using their search engine wrong.

Gadget-Dad
Levelling print bed...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Apr-Sun-17-Apr

$40 would get you the new E3D Lite6, but it's nozzles are $9 each.

Cheap ebay or aliexpress nozzles are gambling, maybe they'll work, maybe they won't, maybe they're drilled round and on center, maybe they aren't. Either way the seller keeps your money. Cheap hotends from the same source are the same.

I've used the original Printrbot 0.5mm (that's what they shipped in the Kickstarter days) nozzle for most of my prints over an approaching 3 year period, with a few timeouts to experiment with the smaller DIY models. Lifetime shouldn't be a problem. While some swear by the propane torch cleaning method I use a welding tip cleaner to poke any debris loose while hot, then unscrew and remove the nozzle, dig out any crud, and then extrude some filament to push out anything in the hot end. Cotton pipecleaners work well for cleaning out the barrel if simple extrusion isn't good enough. I've maybe done it 3 or 4 times in several years, most of those when I was first starting.

Why do you think you'll need so many nozzles that you'd replace the hot end to get the mystery quality cheapies, and that that would be worth something compared to a $500+ printer?

Ubis nozzles have a 1/4-20 female thread, and are different from the standard reprap nozzle.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Gadget-Dad » 2015-Apr-Mon-09-Apr

Thanks @Mooselake I feel like you are chasing me around the forums to answer all of my questions. Sorry.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Several things (noob errors) led me to think that I would go through lots of nozzles, but knowing that they have a longer life changes my outlook. Also, if nozzles were $0.50 each then cleaning becomes a waste of time- unless you can't count on that nozzle. Then cheap nozzles vs. cleaning leans back towards cleaning.

So, I guess I know what I will put on my Christmas list (married with three children......I bet I can talk one of them into some new nozzles).

Gadget-Dad
Levelling print bed...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Apr-Mon-12-Apr

I use view unread posts or tapatalk, and don't usually look at which subforum posts are in. While I've been accused of chasing my tail I wasn't aware I was chasing any posts.

Good luck with that Christmas list thing. I'm also married, and with three adult children. I quit trying to make a list - the starving student and starving entrepreneur give me handcrafts (which are worth more than anything they can buy, both are very artistic), and the employed ones seem to give me things like shirts (a comment on my fashion sense? The ones I got 30 years ago are still just fine). Best to just buy what you want for yourself, better to beg etc.

FWIW, my experience is that if you don't leave the extruder sitting there with the heater on you won't cook filament very often (the bed's different, I usually preheat if I'm doing something else and let it warm up, even with that 5 minute warmup), and if you stick with better quality filament you'll have fewer problems - I don't order very often so there's better recent advice here than me. Just my .2 cents.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby plexus » 2015-Apr-Fri-10-Apr

I have a selection of nozzles that are smaller than 0.4 and larger than 0.4. these are Jerril nozzles for the Ubis. please check my thread in the Selling forum and PM me if interested.

plexus
Site Admin

Return to Buying