Where to buy heated bed?

Where to buy heated bed?

Postby shai » 2012-Apr-Sat-21-Apr

So now that I'm thinking about how big a 6x6x6 actually is... I might consider upgrading myself by just purchasing a larger sized heated bed, I'm pretty sure I can find rods myself, and if I'm right, the rest of the hardware/plastic parts etc stay the same (I'm talking about the plastic printrbot 6x6x6).

Anyway, does anyone know where I can find a larger sized heated bed? And make sure it works properly with the printrbot hardware/software, etc..?

Backer # 1,612
shai
Solid infill...

Where to buy heated bed?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Where to buy heated bed?

Postby PaulRac » 2012-Apr-Sun-07-Apr

http://ultimachine.com/content/prusa-pcb-heated-bed is one option. It's actually 200x200mm which is a hair under 8 inches.

PaulRac
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby drawcut » 2012-Apr-Sun-07-Apr

Thinking about this myself. Actually, I'm thinking about just increasing the Y dimension first. Seems like a lot of things would be longest in one dimension only. Looking around my desk I see my keyboard, a pen, calculator, water bottle - most things seem to have one overall dimension longer than the other two. Expanding just Y would be fairly easy, I'm thinking. Longer wood bed, two longer smooth rods and a longer Y belt. The headed bed is the hardest part but I think an 8 x 8 bed would just fit between the Z rods on a standard PB. The extra 2" in the X would be wasted initially but would allow for future X expansion.

Printrbot original. Major mods: Y axis extended to ~8", Z extended to ~8.5". 5mm SS Z threaded rods w/ flex couplings. E3D hotend. Purchased Acetel gears. Glass bed with Elmers' purple glue stick for most prints. Top of Z axis rods have added cross structure similar to a Prusia i3.
drawcut
ACME leadscrew

Postby FisHNorway » 2012-Apr-Sun-07-Apr

Backer #1630!
FisHNorway
I'm an end stop.

Postby shai » 2012-Apr-Sun-11-Apr

is it possible to go beyond 8X8 for a heated bed? Also will all of the types of beds work with printrbot hardware? What about voltage differences? (does that matter?)

Backer # 1,612
shai
Solid infill...

Postby FisHNorway » 2012-Apr-Sun-12-Apr

shai wrote:is it possible to go beyond 8X8 for a heated bed? Also will all of the types of beds work with printrbot hardware? What about voltage differences? (does that matter?)

Take a look over at thefutureis3d.com. They have a 16"x16" heated bed. It's 175$ though...

http://shop.thefutureis3d.com/heated-pl ... tform.html

Backer #1630!
FisHNorway
I'm an end stop.

Postby scantrontb » 2012-Apr-Sun-13-Apr

drawcut wrote:Thinking about this myself. Actually, I'm thinking about just increasing the Y dimension first.

personally I'd go for expanding the X Axis first, that way you don't have to worry about the extra length upsetting the balance of the base and when you print towards the very back or very front the PB will tip over from the extra weight way out at the end of travel. if you leave the Y-axis the same, but expand the X-Axis first, then all you have to worry about is the middle of the bed bending down with the weight of printed object on it, and that can be countered by just adding in a 3rd smooth rod w/ bearings... and as Brook showed in his demo of the PB (DW) that's what he did.

Don't planto mihi adveho illac
PB+ #786
scantrontb
Can update firmware

Postby drawcut » 2012-Apr-Sun-18-Apr

scantrontb wrote:personally I'd go for expanding the X Axis first, that way you don't have to worry about the extra length upsetting the balance of the base and when you print towards the very back or very front the PB will tip over from the extra weight way out at the end of travel. if you leave the Y-axis the same, but expand the X-Axis first, then all you have to worry about is the middle of the bed bending down with the weight of printed object on it, and that can be countered by just adding in a 3rd smooth rod w/ bearings... and as Brook showed in his demo of the PB (DW) that's what he did.

I was thinking there may be some issues with the greater Y axis overhang but adding extra length to the base to avoid tipping looks pretty easy. My bigger worry would be stability with the linear bearings at original spacing - possibly might have to space them farther apart? Lucky thing I'd have a PB at that point to make some modified base parts. :D

This may be a moot point. CL1 has stated in another thread that the Z rods are 7.875" center the center. Strange since the Sketchup assembly that Brook posted on Thingverse seems to show a bit over 8" from the insides of the Z rods. Unless I'm doing something wrong with Sketchup. Would not be surprised since I don't much care for the program.

So if an 8 x 8 bed wouldn't fit an unchanged Z axis, I'd probably just expand both at the same time.

Printrbot original. Major mods: Y axis extended to ~8", Z extended to ~8.5". 5mm SS Z threaded rods w/ flex couplings. E3D hotend. Purchased Acetel gears. Glass bed with Elmers' purple glue stick for most prints. Top of Z axis rods have added cross structure similar to a Prusia i3.
drawcut
ACME leadscrew

Postby PaulRac » 2012-Apr-Sun-18-Apr

I wouldn't count on the thingiverse files being accurate anymore. They're fairly old and it seems like Book has changed a decent amount since they were posted.

PaulRac
Waiting for extruder temp...

Return to Buying