[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - Simple Metal Print Volume Upgrade!

Simple Metal Print Volume Upgrade!

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-May-Tue-08-May

Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen!

As some of you may have been following along, I have been developing a print volume upgrade for my new Simple Metal.

We are nearing the end of the development stage, with only a few small loose ends and tweaks left to be made.

My intention is to crowd fund a small production run of these kits. In order to both set realistic campaign goals, as well as offer the best kit price possible, I wanted to feel you guys out a little bit in terms of the number of people that would be interested in these kits. Currently I have been budgeting material and time based on making a a campaign to produce 25 kits.

A few of you have already expressed interest which is great! I just wanted to make a dedicated thread to both field questions and input or comments relating to this specific kit and project.

As you can see in the attached pictures the kit has been produced from 6061-T6 Aluminum stock. The finish will remain as machined. It would be too costly to anodize all the kits in an assortment of colors to match your existing Simple's factory color. That being said, with enough interest, if the volume of the order becomes high enough, It IS something that could be addressed.

The Kit would include the following:

1x 3/16" Thick build plate (6061-T6 Alum Printable area of 8" x 8", overall dimensions 12.75" x 8.625")
1x 1/4" Y axis extension plate (Also alum.)
4x Extended 8mm Rods. Precision ground Oil Hardened (2" longer than OEM rods)
3pcs X axis belt mount/tensioning system (Alum)
2x GT2 Timing belts (2" longer than OEM belts)
1x Bag of required hardware (mostly M3 SHCS and Nuts)

This Kit is a direct bolt on replacement and is designed to work in conjunction with the existing parts currently installed on the metal simple. It does NOT require any irreversible modification to your existing machine.

The build plate incorporates a recessed pocket on the underside of the table with 4 countersunk mounting holes (maintains flush build area) to accommodate the standard "6x6" printrbot Heat bed. The table can be mounted both upside down and right side up depending on your preference to either build on the heatbed directly or build on the aluminum plate.

Currently with a run of 25 kits, I would be able to have a very fast lead time (shipping all units roughly 1-2 weeks from the end of the campaign barring any unforeseen material procurement problems)

The cost of the kit would be $80

Please feel free to contact me either through the forum or by email ( matrix.precision@outlook.com ) with any questions/suggestions or concerns,

Here are some initial "in process" photos of the prototypes while under development

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mach-Chris on 2014-Jun-Fri-22-Jun, edited 1 time in total.

Follow us on Twitter! @MatrixPrecision
Mach-Chris
Support material...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Simple Metal Print Volume Upgrade!

Postby ChefScott » 2014-May-Tue-08-May

I'm most definitely in on this! That is nothing but metal goodness for my Simple. I am going to have a hard time waiting for this, but wait I must.

Again awesome work Mach-Chris!!

ChefScott
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby Jdublu » 2014-May-Tue-08-May

Outstanding work. Can't wait to get my hands on one. Must be nice to have access to all those big CNC toys ;)

Metal Simple
E stepper heatsink w/fan
Z axis stepper heatsink w/fan
Extruder fan
Hotbed relay fan
6"x6" Heater board
40 Amp power supply
Matrix-Precision 8" x 8" aluminum bed X-Y upgrade
Matrix-Precision 10" Z axis upgrade
S. Florida
Jdublu
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby HCS-II » 2014-May-Tue-14-May

Chris,

I'm also interested but I have a design suggestion: I would put the heatbed wire groove oriented towards the front instead of the back. Reason being two-fold: 1- it decreased table thickness in a area where these is less buckling stress when compared to the back where you have the drive belt; 2- the wires exiting at the front enables you to have a nice interference-free loop for the heatbed wires that would ideally be routed to an external supply (better to switch with a cheap 5$ 40A SSR instead of making the expensive printrboard do the switching).

If you want to see what such a design looks like, just search for Cam Watt's design on Thingiverse, item #329561.

Regards,

Mike

HCS-II
Loading filament...

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-May-Tue-15-May

Makes sense mike! Currently I was thinking of cable tying the wires along the back edge if the plate, (zip tie through the holes) but I hadn't considered interference or a completely separate wiring loop. I will reverse the recessed pocket orientation in the model!

Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby bleeps » 2014-May-Wed-09-May

Regarding being able to reverse it and print on the heater directly: Would it be possible to machine two extra little pockets for the wire connection and thermistor when using this with the heated bed side up? I've tried mounting the PB 6x6 heater and aluminum bed this way and the wires and thermistor prevent the heater from sitting flush with the bed..

bleeps
I'm an end stop.

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-May-Wed-09-May

Last edited by Mach-Chris on 2014-Jun-Fri-14-Jun, edited 1 time in total.

Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby bleeps » 2014-May-Wed-09-May

Maybe I'm not seeing it but what I mean is, in that screenshot, I would place an extra groove where the word "front" is so the soldered wire leads could sit. As is, they're a bump that prevents the heater resting flat. Additionally, another groove and channel leading out to the front for the thermistor and wires somewhere in the middle.

Does that make sense? Or is there some other way people mount all of this that I'm not aware of?

bleeps
I'm an end stop.

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-May-Wed-10-May

I *THINK* I i'm following along, however, consider this

It looks like the soldered connections for the wires on the heaterboard, only protrude out of one side.

Therefore it would seem to be that you could be mounting the flat side against the alum bed.
the wires have leads that are far longer than you need and therefore your connectors will actually be somewhere outside of the bed area.

so the small pocket under the word "front" was just a sort of channel for the wires to follow on their way out of the bed area. and the length of the channel from the edge of the table, to the edge of your heater board, is only 1 inch (1.3125, but who's splitting hairs? oh wait, me. everyday.)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby girlontherocks » 2014-May-Wed-11-May

Wow Chris! that looks great! I know that you designed it for a metal simple, but I think it I want one for my modified wooden simple....

Printrbot Simple 2014
Octoprint on a Raspberry Pi
girlontherocks
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby bleeps » 2014-May-Wed-11-May

bleeps
I'm an end stop.

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-May-Wed-12-May

I always accept money that is thrown at me, lol

The plan it to launch the kickstarter campaign late next week, or early the following week. Everything is really predicated on having the numbers sorted out. I have sourced quotes for all the materials and lead times. It works out well. Currently about 5 people have responded saying they are interested, which is great, that's 20% of the intended run of 25 kits, the rest, (i'm hoping) will come from word of mouth and people browsing kickstarter.

A friend of mine and myself want to see how far we can take this.

So we have a few plans up on the drawing board already

Most of these plans revolve around the Simple Metal, but one plan is a low cost printer from scratch. We want to see if we can make a delta printer come in at around 200$, might be tricky to do, but we like some challenges. Using any money generated from selling upgrades such as this to finance the R&D for successive upgrades.

The project that will be immediately following this one is a dual extruder setup for the metal simple.

Stay tuned! These plans only come to light through support and suggestions and input from people like you!

Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby bleeps » 2014-May-Wed-12-May

bleeps
I'm an end stop.

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-May-Wed-12-May

Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby ChefScott » 2014-May-Wed-13-May

And there is now the upgrade kit for the wood 2014 Simple Makers Kit (I've already ordered one), to bring it up to date with the New-New wood Simple Makers Kit. This should make it easier to add in Mach-Chris' Simple Metal Print Volume Upgrade to the 2014 Simple.

ChefScott

Postby ChefScott » 2014-May-Wed-13-May

Also with a wood Simple (new-new or 2014) there is a build size difference.

2014 wood Simple 4x4x4
New-New Simple 4x4x4.5
Metal Simple 6x6x6

The bed on the 2014 and the New-New Simple is the same. Width wise wood simple beds seem to have the same hole spacing front to back (y axis) but is smaller left to right (x axis). This would take a new attachment part to make the larger bed that Mach-Chris is working on fit.

Also PB states that there will be a XL upgrade for the New-New wood Simple, which could quite possibly take it up to a 6x6x6 build area and allow for a easy bolt on upgrade of Mach-Chris' Simple Metal Print Volume Upgrade.

ChefScott

Postby 30362 » 2014-May-Thu-08-May

Have you kicked off the project?

I was on the fence about which 3d printer to order and had almost clicked Buy on the Solidoodle 4, but then I learned about the heated bed mod for the Simple AND found my way here....

My metal is on the way, I should have it Monday!

Where do I throw my money for this volume upgrade mod??

Last edited by 30362 on 2014-May-Thu-08-May, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-May-Thu-08-May

Man, people love to throw money, lol

Sit tight 30362. We are currently in the final stages of sorting out the fine details. One of the prototypes is being shipped out to a beta tester volunteer tomorrow, which he should receive later next week.

Early the following week we should have a kickstarter campaign launching if we find no major problems with the current design revision of the prototypes.

I have been running my X axis upgrade for a week now with great results.
(no loss in speed or accuracy)
I'm getting the remaining length of rod I need tomorrow to finish the install of the Y axis upgrade and testing will then begin on all components together.

Keep checking this thread for updates on the production process as any and all relevant data will be posted here. Including the link to the upcoming Kickstarter campaign.

Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby bleeps » 2014-May-Thu-11-May

Post vids of it all working together when you can!

bleeps
I'm an end stop.

Postby bleeps » 2014-May-Thu-18-May

Quick question: If the expanded build area is 8x8 and there are 8x8 heat beds available, why not make the heater seat 8x8?

bleeps
I'm an end stop.

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-May-Thu-21-May

Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby ryanneufeld » 2014-May-Fri-21-May

Dude, this is sweeet!

I'll commit to crowd funding this.

ryanneufeld

Postby Extrude3D » 2014-May-Sat-08-May

Possibly the new 3DP Aftermarket 'Metal Heating Kit' will change your mind on using a that heating pcb....

edit: sneak peek at what's going on here: integrated thermistor. thick 12v wire shielding. 3M adhesive mounting to the underside of the metal bed.

3dpaftermarket
Extrude3D

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-May-Sat-10-May

Super cool. Should still mount to the upgrade nicely

Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby Extrude3D » 2014-May-Sat-13-May

3dpaftermarket
Extrude3D

Postby REPRAP SQUAD » 2014-May-Sat-17-May

How does that work if you ever replace the bed or therm goes out. Do u have to replace the whole setup. I like where your going with it.

Twitter: @REPRAPSQUAD
Check it out: Build logs, 3D printer news and all things Printrbot--http://reprapsquad.wordpress.com
PC Case Mods 3D printed:

RepRap Squad's The 1st Simple (XL)
* Custom built that towers over the LC

Printrbot Plus V2 W/
*Dual extruder PB Version (2-Ubis 1.75mm hotends)
*Heavily Modded and all axis extended
REPRAP SQUAD
Metal hotbed butt

Postby Extrude3D » 2014-May-Sat-21-May

3dpaftermarket
Extrude3D

Postby REPRAP SQUAD » 2014-May-Sat-22-May

Sweet. It's always nice to see when people think ahead for things like that. Keep up the good work.

Twitter: @REPRAPSQUAD
Check it out: Build logs, 3D printer news and all things Printrbot--http://reprapsquad.wordpress.com
PC Case Mods 3D printed:

RepRap Squad's The 1st Simple (XL)
* Custom built that towers over the LC

Printrbot Plus V2 W/
*Dual extruder PB Version (2-Ubis 1.75mm hotends)
*Heavily Modded and all axis extended
REPRAP SQUAD
Metal hotbed butt

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Jun-Sun-16-Jun

After a week of running with just the X upgrade on my machine, the remaining lengths of rods I needed came in.

Yesterday I finished assembly of the Y axis extension and made a few prints.

I'm going to search through thingiverse for a nice large print to demonstrate the full travel being used to print and try to take a time lapse of it.

here are some photos so far.

Mach-Chris
Support material...

X axis pictures, continued.....

Mach-Chris
Support material...

Here are some of the prints made with the upgrade installed:

Mach-Chris
Support material...

More views of the same prints produced on the upgrade

Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby ChefScott » 2014-Jun-Sun-16-Jun

That is downright magnificent work! Great job! I love the "simple" approach to increasing the Y and X axis.

ChefScott

Mach-Chris
Support material...

I'm going to make a model and upload it on thingiverse, as a screw cover for the screws protruding out of the Y axis Plate. It will make a good first print to test out the capabilities

Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby ChefScott » 2014-Jun-Sun-17-Jun

When there is some custom metal wizardry to be drooled over, I'm there. :D

ChefScott

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Jun-Sun-17-Jun

Well then this is unrelated to the thread,

But here is a shot of my "part shelf" full of parts i've made at work. Real wizardry behind some of these.

Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby ChefScott » 2014-Jun-Sun-17-Jun

Wow, really, really fantastic work! Looks like you love your craft.

ChefScott

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Jun-Sun-17-Jun

I do!
That being said, There's a fair amount of stress involved. But doing projects myself, from conception to design and manufacturing is where the real fun is!

Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Jun-Sun-19-Jun

Designed a quick cover to hide the protruding screw bottoms, Gives it a nice clean look.

Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby ChefScott » 2014-Jun-Sun-20-Jun

Shame on you covering up that metal! :lol:

Here is the extent of my metal working skills.

ChefScott

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Jun-Sun-20-Jun

That was labor intensive flatness is a major pain in some circumstances, the bigger and thinner the surface,the more I cringe. My plate isn't perfectly flat, but the probing does more than well enough to compensate, I haven't had an issue with it yet. On a machine without probing, I could certainly see it being a major pain. Good work with the lapping on that plate though, I'm sure your elbows were sore.

Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby Jdublu » 2014-Jun-Thu-10-Jun

It's arrived!

I just got the 8x8 upgrade from Mach-Chris and I must say, it is a thing of beauty. I know what I'll be doing tonight.

Thanks Chris.

Metal Simple
E stepper heatsink w/fan
Extruder fan
Hotbed relay fan
6"x6" Heater board
40 Amp power supply
S. Florida
Jdublu
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby ChefScott » 2014-Jun-Thu-11-Jun

That is awesome looking. Please post pics of it when you get that beauty installed!

ChefScott

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Jun-Thu-11-Jun

Showed up in a timely fashion and undamaged! Glad to hear it. Thanks guys! :D

Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby Jdublu » 2014-Jun-Thu-23-Jun

I am now the proud owner of an all Metal Simple with an 8" x 8" bed! Chris's hardware arrived this morning. It made waiting for quitting time almost impossible. I rushed home and started in on it. New x and y rods, new aluminum bed with recessed heater. Strategically lightened to make it go faster :D .

Start to finish took about 2 hours. But I was making lots of notes and taking pictures so I could reverse it if I had to. Only tools required were a 2.5mm allen wrench, a pair of side cutters, a small mallet, and a phillips head screw driver.

Couldn't have been easier, and I bought this sucker (Metal Simple) assembled, so I was unfamiliar with the assembly to start with.

It actually took longer to reset the EEPROM, recalibrate the Z axis, and get Repetier to recognize the new build volume than it did to build.

Bravo Chris, job well done.

Metal Simple
E stepper heatsink w/fan
Extruder fan
Hotbed relay fan
6"x6" Heater board
40 Amp power supply
S. Florida
Jdublu
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby ChefScott » 2014-Jun-Fri-06-Jun

That is one sweet looking print bed! I'm sure you are super happy with it. It looks fantastic!

ChefScott

Postby bleeps » 2014-Jun-Fri-12-Jun

Just curious: why do machined aluminum beds have the extra holes on the sides. I'm assuming it has something to do with the machining process?

bleeps
I'm an end stop.

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Jun-Fri-12-Jun

In this case no, its just weight reduction/esthetics.

*edit* I'm assuming you are referring to the array of 1/2" holes.

If you mean the extra small holes, they are for mounting the belt tensioner/clamp system

Mach-Chris
Support material...

I meant the array of holes and that makes total sense. Thanks for the info.

bleeps
I'm an end stop.

But I will add that I had the holes in the 6x6 metal bed from Printrbot don't play nicely with the inductive sensor. I ripped a nice fat tear in a sheet of kapton tape because the sensor aligned perfectly with one of those holes the first time I tried to print. I ended up shaving 10mm off the max X size in the firmware to work around it.

bleeps
I'm an end stop.

Postby Jdublu » 2014-Jun-Fri-12-Jun

The holes work perfectly with this new bed. I find that the sensor lines up right at the edge of the solid area.

Last edited by Jdublu on 2014-Jun-Fri-12-Jun, edited 1 time in total.
Metal Simple
E stepper heatsink w/fan
Extruder fan
Hotbed relay fan
6"x6" Heater board
40 Amp power supply
S. Florida
Jdublu
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby Jdublu » 2014-Jun-Fri-12-Jun

The holes work perfectly with this new bed. I find that the sensor lines up right at the edge of the solid area on the right side.

Metal Simple
E stepper heatsink w/fan
Extruder fan
Hotbed relay fan
6"x6" Heater board
40 Amp power supply
S. Florida
Jdublu
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Good to know! Makes me want to throw my money even harder to get this on my 'bot.

bleeps
I'm an end stop.

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Jun-Fri-12-Jun

Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Jun-Fri-13-Jun

Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby ChefScott » 2014-Jun-Fri-13-Jun

We're Watching and We're Waiting!

ChefScott

Postby Extrude3D » 2014-Jun-Sat-10-Jun

The Metal Print Bed heaters that I showed off above are finally available for the volume upgrade and regular Printrbot Metal. Integrated heating element and thermistor, 3M industrial adhesive. Stick and Print!
http://3dpaftermarket.bigcartel.com/pro ... tal-bundle

3dpaftermarket
Extrude3D

Postby Jdublu » 2014-Jun-Mon-10-Jun

Metal Simple
E stepper heatsink w/fan
Extruder fan
Hotbed relay fan
6"x6" Heater board
40 Amp power supply
S. Florida
Jdublu
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby Jdublu » 2014-Jun-Mon-10-Jun

I finally finished installing the heater on my new 8x8 Matrix aluminum bed. I experimented with the thermister in a couple of locations. Mounting it on the aluminum plate, outside of the milled heater pocket gave me reported temps about 10 degrees below what my IR thermomter was reporting on the top center of the build area. Mounting it directly on the bottom of the heater gave me the closest results. About 5 degrees difference(higher reading), depending on how long I let it sit before starting to print. I just taped it on with the provided Kapton tape.

Metal Simple
E stepper heatsink w/fan
Extruder fan
Hotbed relay fan
6"x6" Heater board
40 Amp power supply
S. Florida
Jdublu
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Jun-Mon-10-Jun

That's less of a temperature difference than I was expecting....Awesome!

Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby bness42 » 2014-Jun-Mon-19-Jun

That looks like some fantastic work Chris! I can't wait for funding to open up, my wallet is ready :D

bness42

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Jun-Mon-20-Jun

We are getting very very close! only one more loose end to sort out! stay tuned!

Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby Yakeru » 2014-Jun-Wed-16-Jun

I am very interested as well ! Following closely :-)

Yakeru
Loading filament...

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Jun-Fri-09-Jun

What do we have here?....

Some stock aluminum perhaps? :D

Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby ChefScott » 2014-Jun-Fri-12-Jun

Oh yeah, the goodies are rolling in now. I can't wait!

ChefScott

Postby KD6HQ » 2014-Jun-Fri-15-Jun

Any chase of a kit for the New Simple Makers kit?

thanks

Printrbot Simple Makers Kit (1405) modified.
Core XYZ

It's all in the details!
KD6HQ
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Jun-Fri-18-Jun

Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby KD6HQ » 2014-Jun-Fri-18-Jun

Producing a replacement metal framing kit is an interesting idea. For me it would need to be able to have a area of 8x8x8 as a minimum, but that's me and perhaps not the majority. That way it would work with the bed your working on now.

It occurs to me that if all you want is the wood frame for measurements you could purchase the Maker's Upgrade Kit that is on sale right now.
In the BOM it list "140523 wood kit (most current)"

Anyway, good luck with your projects.

Printrbot Simple Makers Kit (1405) modified.
Core XYZ

It's all in the details!
KD6HQ
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby positivelypositiv » 2014-Jun-Fri-23-Jun

That stock is lookin good! Like Yakeru, i'm following closely as well.

positivelypositiv

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Jun-Sun-13-Jun

We have arrived!

Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby ChefScott » 2014-Jun-Sun-14-Jun

Got my order in already!! I can hardly wait! :D

ChefScott

Postby bleeps » 2014-Jun-Mon-10-Jun

Got my order in too. Looking forward to this!

bleeps
I'm an end stop.

Postby Yakeru » 2014-Jun-Mon-15-Jun

Ordered as well :-D ! Really curious to test that !

Yakeru
Loading filament...

Postby Jdublu » 2014-Jun-Tue-08-Jun

Ran the Takerbox T-Rex last night on the new Matrix 8x8. Came out great. Got my first roll of ABS and ran a clip print that I had never been able to make work without breaking in PLA, it came out better than I had ever gotten in PLA and worked without cracking. The heated 8x8 from Matrix makes the Simple Metal a perfect multi material machine.

Metal Simple
E stepper heatsink w/fan
Extruder fan
Hotbed relay fan
6"x6" Heater board
40 Amp power supply
S. Florida
Jdublu
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Jun-Tue-08-Jun

Wow Jay, that looks amazing! If you're happy, I'm happy :)

Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby MegaMoonMan » 2014-Jun-Wed-17-Jun

And of course, there's now an official one from PB on the way. Not sure which to go with yet, I need to see what PB is going to charge.

MegaMoonMan
Solid infill...

Postby bleeps » 2014-Jun-Wed-19-Jun

bleeps
I'm an end stop.

Postby Defy » 2014-Jun-Thu-06-Jun

So is the heated area 8x8 or 6x6?

Defy
Printing skirt...

Postby Jdublu » 2014-Jun-Thu-07-Jun

It's got a milled pocket for the 6x6 heater. I can't speak for Chris but I'm sure he could expand that to 8x8.

Metal Simple
E stepper heatsink w/fan
Extruder fan
Hotbed relay fan
6"x6" Heater board
40 Amp power supply
S. Florida
Jdublu
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby HCS-II » 2014-Jun-Thu-08-Jun

I already have the 6X6 heatbed PCB from PB. Do you find that it's sufficient to heat the whole expanded 8X8 build area?

HCS-II
Loading filament...

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Jun-Thu-08-Jun

The desire for an 8x8 pocket has been mentioned a few times. For the time being we would like to stick with the 6x6 for a few reasons.

1.) To accommodate those who already have a 6x6 heater on their Simples.
2.) Expanding to 8x8 leaves very little remaining support structure and would render the build plate much more prone to warping, especially when stress is induced via machining, and when heated to high temperatures while on the printer. Basically It just seems safer and more reliable to stick with the 6x6.

I haven't put together my heater yet, ATX shows up this week, and I have to get through the rewiring. I honestly just won't have the time for awhile. So as of this moment Jdublu is the only reference I have available for how much heat is lost/dispersed in the current iteration of the volume upgrade.

Side note, I'm not sure if Jdublu has done this, but there may be a performance difference if heat transfer paste is applied when installing the heater, might salvage some of the heat lost in any gaps that may exist between the table and heater.

Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby Defy » 2014-Jun-Thu-12-Jun

Next time you fire it up to abs temps can you see how far away from the 6x6 the heat goes before is significantly drops off ? Does that make sense?

I am thinking about this upgrade but if i still only get 6x6 heated then its easier to get the heat board sticker from 3dextruder i have one of his othe boards on my xl and its awesome.

Defy
Printing skirt...

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Jun-Thu-13-Jun

Jdublu was kind enough to give me some data taken with his IR thermometer.

I've turned it into a picture of the temperature differntial relative to a baseline being in the middle of the bed (who doesn't love graphical depictions?):

Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby Defy » 2014-Jun-Thu-21-Jun

Thanks, so the next question. Does anyone know is 10deg diff on the edges have a huge affect on pla or abs?

I just got a deal on a metal so looking into mods now, pb number 3!

Defy
Printing skirt...

Postby Jdublu » 2014-Jun-Fri-08-Jun

I just supercharged my HB and will redo the temp test tonight. Details here viewtopic.php?f=113&t=7633

Metal Simple
E stepper heatsink w/fan
Extruder fan
Hotbed relay fan
6"x6" Heater board
40 Amp power supply
S. Florida
Jdublu
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Jul-Wed-07-Jul

Here's a picture of the print I used to test the prototype of our next upgrade. What do you guys think?

Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby Jdublu » 2014-Jul-Wed-07-Jul

when will it be available?

Metal Simple
E stepper heatsink w/fan
Extruder fan
Hotbed relay fan
6"x6" Heater board
40 Amp power supply
S. Florida
Jdublu
Honeycomb infill 25%...

We don't have a hard date set yet. We are almost finished machining the XY kits, and we just took the chance while in the shop to bang out this prototype for proof of concept. We have a little bit of revision to do on this. No promises, but hoping before the end of July if not shortly thereafter. 10' Z travel is the aim.

Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby Defy » 2014-Jul-Wed-07-Jul

Is that just the z upgrade? 2 longer 12mm and a new acme right.

Defy
Printing skirt...

pretty much, also a new machined alum plate the rods are pressed into.

Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby Defy » 2014-Jul-Wed-07-Jul

Ahh that is the gotcha i havent looked at the bottom i thought they were set screwed in.... I am going to wait for a kit!

And are you going to offer the 8x8 with a cutout for 8x8 heater? Edit: never-mind i just read the some post that i have missed above.

Defy
Printing skirt...

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Jul-Wed-08-Jul

The cutout for the 8x8 has come up a few times. As of right now our initial run of 8x8 upgrades are sold out. It happened much quicker than we expected. We will be finishing the development of our other products before we have a chance to go back to the 8x8 upgrades. The silver lining in this situation is that it will allow us to revisit the design before we start another production run of the upgrades. So there will likely be quite a few changes implemented in the overall design of the kit in order to have the most versatility possible. So to answer your question: wait and see ;)

Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby Yakeru » 2014-Jul-Wed-09-Jul

I received my upgrade :D

I installed it, had a few questions/concerns, Chris answered me ultra quickly and now everything seems to work perfectly. Thank you very much !
Really easy to install, good doc, huge and magnificent piece of machined aluminium !

Way flatter than the original build platform, I tried printing a 6" x 6" object and the first layer was perfect, that is something I couldn't achieve with the original piece and I'm really happy.
I am now waiting for my aftermarket 6x6 heating pad.

As soon as I have something worth showing I will post some pictures.

Yakeru
Loading filament...

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Jul-Wed-09-Jul

Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby positivelypositiv » 2014-Jul-Fri-13-Jul

hey chris, do you know when the new batch will be available?

positivelypositiv

Postby MegaMoonMan » 2014-Jul-Mon-11-Jul

Wish I would have jumped on this when they were available, I waited and had to go with the official PB upgrade which is not as good of a deal IMO.

MegaMoonMan
Solid infill...

Postby ChefScott » 2014-Jul-Mon-12-Jul

Well today I got my backlog of mail that was on hold at the Post Office while I was on vacation. Amid the dreary reality of the vacation being over and seeing the stack of bills. There was another package that had been on hold while I was gone.

What a beautiful piece of work Chris!! It is a marvel to have this now. And I love the message you put in the heater pocket!! :lol: :lol:

Now I have a few parts to design and get this awesome print bed attached to my 1405!!

ChefScott

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Jul-Mon-23-Jul

Scott! Welcome back I hope your vacation was relaxing. Let me know if you need any help adapting the upgrade to the 1405.

Megamoonman, I'm sorry you missed the first batch, but don't worry, more are on the way. Admittedly it has been very difficult to keep up with the demand for the 880 upgrade, which is why we went back to the drawing board to produce a new rev that should streamline the manufacturing and procurement, as well as look super cool, while cutting even more weight. It has been difficult to juggle all of these tasks while still trying to develop other products, but with that said we have made some progress! We will be releasing our Z10 upgrade within the next few days. Then we will have some time to get back at the 880's

A few people have requested videos showcasing the upgraded capabilities, so at that request, here is a link to a YouTube vid we put together printing a 10" tall loft involute gear shaped vase that I modeled specifically for this task. For those of you that may want the model of the vase, here is the link to the downloads page of our site where you can find it

http://matrix-precision.com/pages/downloads

Hope you like it!

http://youtu.be/eEOI3Yl6HVY

I've noticed that while viewing this video via tapatalk that there's no audio. It doesn't detract from seeing the capabilities, however the music (Elements by Lindsey Stirling) is awesome, and I would suggest you check her out if you get the chance! Or at the very least watch the video on YouTube :)

Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby Jdublu » 2014-Jul-Tue-08-Jul

How long did it take to print?

Metal Simple
E stepper heatsink w/fan
Extruder fan
Hotbed relay fan
6"x6" Heater board