Printer Stops In Beginning Of Print

Problems with your print or projects? talk here

Postby arthurjpetersen » 2016-Aug-Fri-11-Aug

I have a Printrbot Simple Metal, ever since I started trying to print a certain file my printer will stop printing after about a minute. It still says it is printing but the printer just freezes and won't move anymore. I'm cutting up a very large model in Netfabb, repairing each piece and then exporting them to cura to print. I've had success thus far.
I tried putting the file back into netfabb to slice it into two files but it still won't print it. I noticed the top part of the piece is highlighted in red even after repairing in netfabb. Does this mean the piece is not printable? I also tried running it through the netfabb azurewebsites cloud repair service and got the same result.

Here is the output I could see on Cura, has anyone had this problem before and know how to fix it?

Thanks very much for any help or insight!

Recv: ok
Send: N3758412.85082*105
Recv: Error:Line Number is not Last Line Number+1, Last Line: 3757
Recv: Resend: 3758
Serial timeout while writing to serial port, trying again.
Unexpected error while writing serial port: SerialException: 'WriteFile failed ([Error 22] The device does not recognize the command.)' @ machineCom.py:_sendCommand:565
Changing monitoring state from 'Printing' to 'Error: SerialException: 'WriteFile failed ...'
Connection closed, closing down monitor

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
arthurjpetersen
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Printer Stops In Beginning Of Print

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Aug-Fri-13-Aug

You're loosing communications between the computer and printer. The first and easiest thing to try is another known good USB cable (using the can't hurt/might help theory). Make sure you're not running anything else in the background that might slow down your computer and interfere with USB traffic, no web surfing, skype, etc. and see if that makes a difference.

Since it's one specific file and you know it's around line 3758 use a text editor (even Notepad or the Mac equivalent, you don't say what you're using to drive the Simple Metal) to look at the gcode around the error. I'd be suspicious that you're in the middle of a number of short moves. If it's an unprintable part I'd expect a slicer error, or at least a warning, but since I rarely use Cura don't know how it handles bad stl files. Have you tried another slicer (like slic3r or Craft Unique) and see if that'll print it. Varied your slicer parameters like layer thickness and print speeds, see if that makes a difference. What does the print preview look like. You should be able to either find the relevant gcode area, or wing it by measuring and figuring out about how many layers into the print you are.

Zip and attach the problematic stl file so somebody can take a look at it, even as a new user you can attach a file using the full editor.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby arthurjpetersen » 2016-Aug-Sun-15-Aug

I've attached some problem files. They are part of a much larger 3D model I've had success printing so far. The printer always stops printing within the first minute or two. I'm using a PC, Printrbot Simple Metal and Cura 15.04.

Anyone have any ideas? I was able to print a couple calibration cubes no problem, so I really think it is the files. I've tried running them through repair software and no luck.

Any other software besides netfabb that might be able to diagnose and prevent this type of problem?

Thanks in advance and hope everyone is having an awesome weekend!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
arthurjpetersen

Postby arthurjpetersen » 2016-Aug-Sun-16-Aug

I also replaced my power supply with an Xbox 360 powerblock. It should be more than enough power and it even has an indicator light that stays green. I did notice if I move the bed back and forth when the printer is on but not printing that the powerblock indicator light will turn red and the printer will turn off. Is it possible the powerblock is causing a short?

I just tried printing a few other files from thingiverse and they too are stopping about a minute or two into the print.

Let me know what you guys think, thanks!

arthurjpetersen

Postby arthurjpetersen » 2016-Aug-Sun-16-Aug

Just got an error on the first layer that said Exruder Switched Off Min Temp. I'm wondering if maybe the power supply is not sufficient? I find that hard to believe considering it should be putting out 12 volts and 16.5 amps.

Here is what the error log had to say.

Send: N742G0 F4200 X89.753 Y36.296*97
Send: M105 T0
Send: N743G1 F1200 X121.491 Y68.034 E457.97884*28
Send: N744G0 F4200 X121.490 Y67.467*84
Recv: ok T:207.5 /220.0 B:0.0 /0.0 T0:207.5 /220.0 T1:25.5 /0.0 T2:43.2 /0.0 @:127 B@:0
Send: N745G1 F1200 X90.319 Y36.296 E460.17813*37
Send: N746G0 F4200 X90.885 Y36.296*105
Send: N747G1 F1200 X121.490 Y66.902 E462.33751*20
Send: M105 T0
Recv: Error:0
Recv: : Extruder switched off. MINTEMP triggered !
Changing monitoring state from 'Printing' to 'Error: 0: Extruder switched off. MINTEMP t...'
Recv: Error:Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)
Recv: ok T:211.9 /0.0 B:0.0 /0.0 T0:211.9 /0.0 T1:25.5 /0.0 T2:43.3 /0.0 @:0 B@:0
Recv: Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)
Recv: Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)
Recv: ok T:191.9 /0.0 B:0.0 /0.0 T0:191.9 /0.0 T1:25.5 /0.0 T2:43.2 /0.0 @:0 B@:0

arthurjpetersen

Postby frankv » 2016-Aug-Sun-16-Aug

As a test case, I looked at your righttophipfront.stl file (just because it was the smallest of the 3).

Looking at the model, I can see that it's not that great for 3D printing. There are a number of places where two solids touch (or maybe don't quite touch, depending on the rounding error?) only at a single point or an edge. This will always be difficult to slice. I'd go back to whatever the source is and try improving the quality there... maybe you can thicken the solids by 0.1mm so that the solids do overlap? Otherwise you may need to manually add some solids to be able to print it. There's also some overhangs and a couple of places where objects are floating in mid-air. You'll need to print with supports, and then remove the supports later somehow. And I think there's some included empty spaces.

If you want to continue using Cura, try looking at the object in "Layers" View.

Another slicer might succeed where Cura fails... try Slic3r. Or you could try different layer height or other settings... a lower quality may work where a higher quality fails, (or vice versa depending on quantisation and rounding errors).

Other software that allows repair of meshes (although I don't think that any automated repair is going to give a good result):

FreeCAD -- in "Mesh design" mode it allows you to "Analyse"/"Evaluate and Repair" a model. In your model, it found "11 degenerate faces", "self-intersections", and "95 folds on surface". I'm not entirely sure exactly what these things are, but it's likely that one or other is confusing Cura. I tried using FreeCAD's repair functions, but that seemed to delete a whole lot of triangles. I'm not an expert at FreeCAD... maybe someone who is could figure out how to repair these triangles without losing them?

MeshLab -- in the "Filters" menu it has a number of things under "Cleaning and Repairing".

Frank

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby frankv » 2016-Aug-Sun-17-Aug

arthurjpetersen wrote:I also replaced my power supply with an Xbox 360 powerblock. It should be more than enough power and it even has an indicator light that stays green. I did notice if I move the bed back and forth when the printer is on but not printing that the powerblock indicator light will turn red and the printer will turn off. Is it possible the powerblock is causing a short?

I just tried printing a few other files from thingiverse and they too are stopping about a minute or two into the print.

Let me know what you guys think, thanks!

Most likely, there's a short in the wires going to the hot-end. I'd look at the heater wires first.. if they short, then all the current goes to the short, and none goes to the PrintrBoard, and then the comms fail and the print stops.

The most likely place for the heater wires to fail is right at the hotend... as the head moves, the wires flex and this is the weakest point where there's no insulation or other support. Eventually one of the wires breaks causing intermittent heating failures at the hotend (probably the cause of your MinTemp error), and/or flexes enough for the bare end to touch the other wire and short. For reliability, you need to rigidly fasten the wires to the head, so that all flexing is spread over the long, bundled section.

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby musk » 2016-Aug-Mon-12-Aug

arthurjpetersen wrote:Just got an error on the first layer that said Exruder Switched Off Min Temp.

That error only happens when the machine loses connection to the thermistor and shuts down as a safety precaution. If you've gotten that error you can know for sure that a the thermistor or thermistor extension cord has a break and is intermittent.

This error is different than just losing heat due to insufficient power supply or something else. In that case, the machine would give you a "cold extrusion prevented" error.

Printrbot Metal Plus (2x)
Printrbot Simple Metal (2x)
musk
Solid infill...

Return to Project troubleshooting