alignment issues

Problems with your print or projects? talk here

alignment issues

Postby kbenson0616 » 2016-Apr-Tue-09-Apr

After I print something the extruder doesn't always return to the proper starting position. It is about 3" above the bed. I have to manually turn the silver thing (like a large screw) to return the extruder to the proper height but this is error prone. Also, sometimes the silver thing (like a large screw) spins without moving the extruder up or down. I have to manually tighten up the silver piece (that the screw like thing goes into) so that the silver thing (like a screw) works. I believe these two issues may be related.

kbenson0616
Loading filament...

alignment issues

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: alignment issues

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Apr-Tue-10-Apr

Please tell us what type of printer you have.

It's normal for the printer to stop after a print with the nozzle positioned higher than the top layer of the print. You have to remove the print from the bed before you will have guaranteed clearance for the nozzle to move back down to the starting point.

Most (but not all) Printrbots have a homing switch or homing probe to set the z height to the proper clearance above the bed (after you remove the previous print). You should be able to tell the printer to go to the home position by using a "home" button on your User Interface (UI) screen (I believe a "home" icon is available in every UI: Cura, Repetier, Pronterface, Matterhackers, etc. etc.). If you have a homing probe, then you issue a G-code command G29 to get the printer to do its "bed-leveling" routine.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby MartyS » 2016-Apr-Tue-12-Apr

If the silver thing mentioned is the Z coupler (couples the motor to the Z screw), and if it can spin without turning the Z screw that means the little set screws on the side that grab onto the Z screw are loose, you need a tiny metric allen wrench to tighten those.

MartyS
Solid infill...

Postby kbenson0616 » 2016-Apr-Mon-18-Apr

Retiree Jay:
Thank you for the suggestion about "homing" my printer. When I type in G29, it does return the correct Z position, however it is diagonally across from where it should be for the X and Y position. I thought I would have to turn the printer off and manually move it to the correct starting x and y, but the next print object seems to begin at the correct x and y even without it being in the same starting position. Thus I think I you have fixed this issue for me. :)

kbenson0616
Loading filament...

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Apr-Mon-18-Apr

After G29, then issue "G28 X0 Y0", or click on the individual "home" icons for X and Y; that should bring your printhead to the zero position in X and Y. (G28 is the "generic" homing command. If you issue it with no parameters, it homes all three axes. But it doesn't compensate for bed leveling. Issuing it with X and Y parameters makes it home X and Y without disturbing the bed-leveling data that was generated with G29.)

GT2 belts & pulleys
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

MartyS:
Thank you for being kind and helping me with the proper lingo. I have two small allen wrenches. I tried tightening the little set screws with the smallest one I had. It didn't seem to do anything but I haven't had the Z couple spin without changing the Z position anymore so perhaps it is fixed now. I'll keep going with that assumption unless I learn otherwise. Thanks.

kbenson0616
Loading filament...

Retiree Jay:
Thanks again. That clarifies it for me. Where in the manual do I find the meaning for these G codes, they are a bit arbitrary to me.

kbenson0616
Loading filament...

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Apr-Mon-18-Apr

One good reference for G-Codes is here: http://www.reprap.org/wiki/G-code
Another reference for G-Codes is here: https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/wiki/DNE-G-Code-in-Marlin, although it has many commands that are not applicable to the Printrboard.

Note that Printrbot has diverged a little from the "standard" Marlin, so there are a few G-codes that differ. One, in particular, has to do with setting the print volume dimensions: M211.

I suggest starting with the RepRap list but being aware of M211.

GT2 belts & pulleys
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby kbenson0616 » 2016-May-Thu-15-May

printrbot1.jpg

This post should really be in the Hardware > Newbie Topic. My coupler goes wacky when every I print anything above about 10 mm high. If you look at the photo you see the silver thing at the bottom [coupler - red arrow] is so high it is not catching the screw like thing above it (even though the hot end [green arrow] is not low enough to the bed. RetireeJay suggested I use the small allen wrench to tight the little black parts in this coupler. I have tried repeatedly to no avail. Is my printrbot defective? Should I send it back?

In the interim, I keep manually adjusting by turning the silver screw like thing attached to the coupler but I need to adjust again after each print and I can't print anything very tall.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kbenson0616
Loading filament...

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-May-Thu-15-May

It looks like your coupler may be completely off the motor shaft. In that case, tightening the setscrews is not going to help. First you need to LOOSEN the setscrews so that the coupler can slide down onto the motor shaft; then tighten them (or it, depending on whether you have one or two setscrews side by side), with one setscrew centered on the flat part of the motor shaft.

GT2 belts & pulleys
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby kbenson0616 » 2016-May-Thu-16-May

OK. So I tried what you said. I now have the coupler on the motor shaft.
printrbot2.JPG
There are two holes. I tightened the bottom one as best I could with the small allen wrench.
printrbot3.JPG
The top hole will not tighten or loosen. After I print something else the hot end is too high. If I send a G28 command, The coupler / motor shaft are right back where they were before my adjustments (i.e.,
printrbot1.jpg

What should I do next?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kbenson0616
Loading filament...

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-May-Thu-21-May

If you pull your carriage up so the coupler completely disengages from the motor shaft, and you look closely at the flat on the shaft with good lighting, do you see a vertical scrape mark where the setscrew has been dragged up and off the shaft? That is what I think is happening. And it's probably because something is blocking the carriage from going all the way down - not every time, but sometimes. Like maybe that wire bundle getting caught between the fan and the base?

GT2 belts & pulleys
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2016-May-Fri-08-May

I can''t quite tell from the angle in the picture, but perhaps the home switch is set to allow the print head to hit the printer frame and pull the coupler off?

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to Project troubleshooting