Replacement 12mm Linear Rail Bearing Cart for Metal Plus

Problems with your print or projects? talk here

Postby accuprintr » 2016-Jan-Thu-20-Jan

12mm_linear.jpg

Anyone knows where I can get replacement 12mm Linear Rail Bearing Cart for Printrbot Metal Plus? I found them on Printrbot.com, but the ones I have in my Printrbot Metal Plus failed in 1 month. Here is the link to Printrbot site: http://printrbot.com/shop/12mm-linear-r ... ring-cart/. I've looked at vxb.com and several sites but haven't been able to find anything that would work. I need to replace all 3 of them, so if I buy them from Printrbot it's $60 + shipping and there is no guarantee they wont fail in 30 days.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud owner of:
Printrbot Simple with Simple XL Upgrade kit, Printrbot Jr. V1/Jr. V2, Printrbot Simple Metal and Printrbot Original.
accuprintr
Waiting for extruder temp...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Replacement 12mm Linear Rail Bearing Cart for Metal Plus

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Jan-Fri-12-Jan

Zooming in on the picture shows the end is marked with LWL 12A. A bit (well, a lot) of googling suggests this might be an IKO part. eBay has a lot of 12B parts, not so many 12A, but I didn't dig deep enough to determine the difference.

There's a history of PB bearing issues. Way back in the Printrbot Dinosaur days their original 12mm linear rod bearings were very gritty and prone to binding. I cleaned and relubed them, no pix, but the lubes are mentioned here. They've worked ever since and the spares are still in the box. Perhaps a good cleaning and relube might revive yours. Also, when PB first released the linear rail metal plus they released a mod shortly after to fix a sticking issue. I couldn't find the right keyword combination to find it, but it was discussed here.

For an ancient history reference, my original PB Y bearings were worthless and replaced shortly after being received, after a year or two of use the two X carriage bearings were replaced with 4 new mystery brand chinese bearings that are still doing fine.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby colbyparsons » 2016-Nov-Tue-13-Nov

I too have had numerous problems with the bearings on the Metal Plus. To the point that it has changed my mind about this being a good printer. I manage two of these printers at the university where I teach, and I have had to replace the bearings on the X slider twice on one of them and once on the other. Plus the damage done as a result of the bearings being crappy has required the replacement of 2 hot ends. In more than one case I got the bearings, but them on, and right away the movement was not smooth. I would say that 1/3 of the bearings I have received have been flawed when I got them.

I am on the hunt for another source of the linear rail bearings -- either to pay less (the markup on the proximity sensor is about 5X-10X, so I assume something similar is going on with the rail carraige), but I find that they are listed under a variety of different names, and I have yet to find a good replacement. One limitation I have to work around is that I cannot buy anything from e-bay, because I am at a state school and certain vendors are off-limits. If anyone can offer suggestions, it would be much appreciated!

colbyparsons
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby PxT » 2016-Nov-Thu-12-Nov

Look for Misumi linear rail bearings. Ex: http://datasheets.globalspec.com/ds/348 ... 7BFA442DB0

I'm not sure if that one is the correct size but it should get you on the right track to do some searching. Misumi are high quality and usually priced accordingly.

PxT
Print complete...

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Nov-Thu-14-Nov

PB had a mod (I think it was a spring kit) for the Metal Pluses to deal with alignment problems. Not sure if they still use it, but you should check.
Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby PxT » 2016-Nov-Tue-18-Nov

The spring kit was to deal with an issue where the heated bed would expand slightly and, not having any room to move, could throw off alignment. It's not clear if that is the problem described in this thread but if so can be easily resolved with some small compression springs from any hardware store. The described behavior of the movement not being smooth "right away" makes me think it is a different issue, but who knows.

PxT
Print complete...

Return to Project troubleshooting