Magic "mirror" button??

Problems with your print or projects? talk here

Magic "mirror" button??

Postby snatchesandsubarus » 2017-Feb-Mon-13-Feb

Here I was all excited to be just about ready to assemble my printed, upgraded printer frame when I realized something was just a little off.... the Z axis rod mounts on the ZBox were on the wrong side. Not knowing how it happened I got pretty frustrated because at this point my old Simple Makers Kit is completely disassembled so I could transfer the motors and parts to my new awesomeness but now I need to put everything back together just to reprint the "zbox" part. ;(

My question is how could this of happened? All I did was downloaded the .stl imported it into Repetier and hit print. Could I have done something more? An issue with the slicr? I am pretty new to this so it every well may have been user error.

Closeup.jpeg

Withrods.jpeg

Insta.jpeg

snatchesandsubarus
Waiting to connect to printer...

Magic "mirror" button??

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Magic "mirror" button??

Postby PxT » 2017-Feb-Mon-16-Feb

Not sure what we're looking at here. What did you print? Is this an STL you got from somewhere? If so let us take a look at the file so we can see what it is "supposed" to look like.
Some slicers do have a mirror function. What software are you using?

PxT
Print complete...

Postby IB3D » 2017-Feb-Mon-18-Feb

If it is this design http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:442636/#files , the model appears to be correct. If I understand correctly you used RepetierHost to print this, which entailed slicing with Cura? Slic3r? I believe it is possible to mirror an object with either of those; is it possible you inadvertently selected that feature?

IB3D
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby snatchesandsubarus » 2017-Feb-Mon-20-Feb

Yes IB3D, that is where I got the STL file from and yes I printed using RepetierHost slicing with Slic3r.

I don't think I could have selected that feature as I have printed many things before and after that piece all through the same steps that came out normal. Not saying that it isn't possible because I have had some troubleshooting and changing settings here and there to tweak things.

It is kind of sounding like I clicked the mirror button but didn't know if there was any other possibilities.

snatchesandsubarus

Postby RetireeJay » 2017-Feb-Mon-21-Feb

I pulled that part down from Thingiverse and looked at it with Netfabb. I rotated it to match the orientation in your first picture, but I did not mirror-reflect it - only rotated it. It does look like somehow you inadvertently mirror-reflected the part.
ZMotorMount.PNG
ZMotorMount.PNG (36.92 KiB) Viewed 244 times

By the way, John Lawrence is really an amazing designer. I think he was giving us beautiful designs here while looking for a job that would use his skills, and now he has that job; he hasn't posted here in over a year. We sure miss him, and hope that his job now is really, really rewarding and satisfying.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby snatchesandsubarus » 2017-Feb-Tue-12-Feb

Awesome, Thanks for the input guys! I probably clicked the mirror setting inadvertently and didn't even know it. Guess I will live and learn. I think I am most upset that it was my first more complex print and the quality came out great, minus the flippage lol

snatchesandsubarus

Return to Project troubleshooting