Custom recessed LED lighting fixtures

Show off your projects and talk about them

Postby opiesche » 2013-Dec-Mon-02-Dec

I'm refactoring most of the lighting in my house to LEDs. I didn't want to go the route of just using LED bulbs because of cost and inefficiencies (transforming at every light source, etc.). I've already got multiple custom built LED light fixtures downstairs, and when it came time to do the upstairs hallway, we decided on recessed fixtures. We considered buying some, but they're outrageously expensive (I've not found anything under $40 a piece), and we wanted two rows of 5 each, which would make the whole endeavor quite expensive. My Jr. to the rescue!

So, I've got a bunch of these LED modules with 4 SMD LEDs on them. They run about 0.8W each, get barely warm to the touch, and are about as bright as a 5W CFL. I designed the fixtures in 2 parts, one bottom:

fiuxture_top.jpg

the outer diameter of the upper part is so that it fits exactly into a hole my 65mm hole saw makes into drywall - tightly enough to hold by itself without adhesive. The inner diameter is adjusted so that it catches a piece of acrylic cut with the same hole saw. The acrylic is then frosted with frosted glass spray and just dropped into the bottom part of the fixture, where it's caught by a 1mm lip.

The top part:

fiuxture_tophalf.jpg

The LED modules are stuck to the inside on the bridge (they have adhesive backing), wires threaded through the openings. Then I drilled a hole into the drywall, stuck the bottom part in, wired the modules to a transformer installed in the attic, and dropped them in.

20131222_181812.jpg

20131222_181835.jpg

20131222_181850.jpg

20131222_201418_HDR.jpg

One of these takes about 25 minutes to print. I installed the two in the picture in about 10 minutes. They're low profile enough (only 16mm tall!) that they'll work for the downstairs hallway too, if I can figure out how to wire them without having access from above.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
opiesche
Levelling print bed...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Custom recessed LED lighting fixtures

Postby thawkins » 2013-Dec-Mon-02-Dec

This is very very cool what are driving the led units off ? 12v dc or 110v ac?

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby opiesche » 2013-Dec-Mon-03-Dec

12V DC. I've got an electronic transformer installed in the attic, that these are wired to :)

opiesche
Levelling print bed...

Postby marmil » 2013-Dec-Thu-21-Dec

Brilliant! (pun intended :P)

Love homemade custom solutions.

CG & 3D enthusiast • Printrbot+ Kickstarter backer • Mods: GT2 belts, custom aluminum y-carriage and print bed
marmil
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby alex.shultz » 2014-Jan-Fri-11-Jan

I like the idea! Where did you find those LED modules? I'm searching around for 4 LED SMD and finding a ton of stuff but can't seem to narrow it down to anything like the form of what you found.

alex.shultz
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby opiesche » 2014-Jan-Fri-16-Jan

I got them off ebay. There are a few different types of SMD modules, but the ones using the 5050 SMD LED seem to work the best. 5050 just means 5.0x5.0mm dimension of the LED itself. They come in a couple of different color temperatures (the ones I used are the warm white ones), and use on the order of 0.7W a piece.

opiesche
Levelling print bed...

Postby AlexisnaveCA » 2015-Nov-Fri-05-Nov

These days Custom recessed LED lighting is in great trend. You can buy these LED lights online at cheap prices. :x

AlexisnaveCA
Waiting to connect to printer...

Return to Showcase!